Friends in WT whilst I'm in WT+

Old Jan 12, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Question

Is it okay that I've upgraded to WT+ from LON to DXB because I received an offer to upgrade using a POUG of only £169? It gets me much closer to bronze status because of the increased Tier points, but I wont be able to sit with my friends (although it's a nighttime flight so I expect to sleep). Seemed like too much to pass up. Would you do the same thing? How do I explain it to my friends who will expect us all to sit together!

Also if Avios redemptions open up can I upgrade to CW?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 12, 18 at 10:36 pm Reason: Merge successive posts
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by madlon View Post
donít think so but I donít have any experience trying to do this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is it okay that I've upgraded to WT+ from LON to DXB because I received an offer to upgrade using a POUG of only £169? It gets me much closer to bronze status because of the increased Tier points, but I wont be able to sit with my friends (although it's a nighttime flight so I expect to sleep). Seemed like too much to pass up. Would you do the same thing? How do I explain it to my friends who will expect us all to sit together!
Just tell them BA upgraded you.....
Tiffywren likes this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:07 pm

Indeed. And if they are real friends they wouldnít have the expectation that you decline the upgrade...
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:05 pm

I've been flying with my Mum on a flight where I was upgraded and I gave the upgrade to my Mum without hesitation. Friends, bothered!!!
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm not speaking to you at least until we reach the baggage reclaim.
Old Jan 13, 18, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob View Post
Just tell them BA upgraded you.....
Hmm... if you feel a need to lie to your friends that's probably bad news. I would have just given them a ring saying: "wow, did you also get the great offer to upgrade for £169? I've taken it as I think it is totally worth it. If you agree try to do it too when you check in or come to the airport early and that way we can still sit together. If not no worry, we'll catch up at the airport anyway".

Though no, personally, I would not have done it (and indeed have not when given similar offers) but that is mostly because WT+ really doesn't do it for me. If, for instance, it had been a similar offer to CW I would have totally done it though I would have called my friends asap to tell them and recommend that they checked if they could do the same if they wanted.
Andriyko, tigertanaka and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:09 am

Shouldnít this be to each his own?

OP is given the option to pay for upgrade, friends may not have been.

OP is willing to spend for the upgrade, the friends may not.

OP just wants to sleep. The friends may not.

Hardly OPís fault to have been given the opportunity, and spent his own money to make a decision that suits his circumstances best.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:19 am

Really FT needs a resident agony aunt for all these things. Someone to answer all the awkward social questions - should I tell my friends, should I wear a tie in first class, should I bring chocs for the CC, are white trousers a good idea on BA etc etc.

But to answer the OP - who cares? Is it really such a big deal that you are separated from your friends for 7 hours on an overnight flight? Surely you know the answer to that. Why not just tell them, as if it they find out some other way one could be left looking a bit silly.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors
I sat in ET with a group of friends outbound once, and CE on the return as it was pricing up nicely and I also needed TPs.

Really, whilst we probably spoke for a bit on the ground in ET, we all did our own thing during flight. Some slept, I watched a load of TV, some listened to music & played games on their iPhones.

On the way back, besides some joke comments about being paid too much/ being a snob etc, it wasnít a serious issue at all!
Everyone paid for their own tickets so if they also wanted a CE return (or both legs!), they could have. I met them once off the plane and we continued the rest together (once they checked to see how much I ate/drank - obviously never flown CE )

The awkward times are with my boss, who doesnít travel as much for work and is a blue member, and I guest him in a lounge and sit at the front of the plane from either UuA or POUG
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:57 am

Let us know whether they are still your friends when you get back.
kosy91 and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:00 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Make sure you stand at the front of the WT area and wave at them. Beckon them to come forward but as they approach the curtain, tell them they can't cross the line!

No, seriously, just say the offer appeared on your booking and you needed the TP to go up to bronze. They will probably stare at you blankly not know what TPs are and perhaps not even know what WT+ is.

I was offered the same price to upgrade before, but it was a return leg from Australia to the UK - and on the then codeshare partner Qantas, so even nicer. And the cherry on that trip was I got upgraded for the first 8 hour sector to Business. It helped that I was travelling along at the end of the xmas break period so a solo traveler has a better chance of upgrade than if in a group. Good luck!
capin and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Is it really such a big deal that you are separated from your friends for 7 hours on an overnight flight?.
Exactly....... now if it was the wife......
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Skywards (recently 'enhanced' to Blue !)

How do I explain it to my friends who will expect us all to sit together!

Hi there OP ..... well this really is a tricky one, and I can empathise re your dilemma.

Hope you don’t mind if I re-phrase your Agony Aunt column question just a little :

I feel burdened with guilt by my impulsive decision to upgrade to WT+, whilst my traveller friends will be stuck in WT. In fact, I feel so troubled by this that I’m now wondering if there might be an opportunity to upgrade yet again, into CW”

Old Jan 13, 18, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It’s your money and your status in question, your friends should really not be concerned assuming you have not left one single friend now sitting alone. Like others have suggested if it was me I probably would have pointed the offer out to my group and encouraged others to join me but if they declined I would have no issue taking it. Earlier this year I was with a group of 6 returning from JFK on an AA 773. I wanted to fly J because I wanted the TPs, I was going straight back to work the following day so a bit of sleep was needed and I was curious to try that product which I had not flown before. I told my friends my intentions at booking in case anyone wanted to join me. They didn’t. I did it anyway. No drama.

On the flight I asked the CC if a friend might be able to join me at my seat for a drink (there is a footstool in each seat and naturally we would keep our voices down not to disturb others). The crew were happy to oblige after the meal service concluded. They also took care of my group down the back when I mentioned it to them - apparently the booze flowed openly! Maybe you like to mention to your CC that you have friends in the back. Keep expectations low but you never know what they might do to take the edge of any negative feeling from your upgrade.

Happy flightings!
27L

Search this Thread