Any drawback to joining OnBusiness?

Old Jan 12, 18, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Any drawback to joining OnBusiness?

I'm thinking of signing our (very small, 2-travellers) business up for OnBusiness but is there any disadvantage?

I'm thinking things like having different rights due to not being a 'consumer' but rather a 'business user'.

I don't imagine there is any, but I just wanted to check before I did it.
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I havenít noticed any difference.
Old Jan 12, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The disadvantage, discussed with much bitterness, is that your business colleagues may book you using On Business points rather than cash, so you won't get Tier Points or Avios
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
I'm thinking of signing our (very small, 2-travellers) business up for OnBusiness but is there any disadvantage?

I'm thinking things like having different rights due to not being a 'consumer' but rather a 'business user'.

I don't imagine there is any, but I just wanted to check before I did it.
Joining onbusiness wouldnt affect your rights negatively, just like joining executive club wouldnt. Its just a frequent flyer program for businesses instead of individuals.
Old Jan 12, 18, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I'd say definitely join. I did with my company a number of years ago when we had 12 people. I dont see any negatives - apart from the web access / UI is rubbish and noone really knows it exists (inside BA!). However, i forget about it sometimes then log on and can book a very chear (almost£0) flight at short notice for OnB points as there seems to be loads more availability than avios. Short haul EU and Dom makes it work very well for me. We earn miles on TATL and spend in EU. And you still earn all your personal TP / Avios as normal. Make sure everyone - including your family when you fly on holidays - put in the OB number when you book!
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, former BD *G, OZ Diamond Plus *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
No drawbacks, just some things to bear in mind that may not be apparent:
- discounted fares don't earn any points
- upgrade with points needs to be at time of booking
- taxes can be more than RFS Avios, booking but the availability seems to equivalent or better than I get as a gold - also it's not always the same so worth trying to redeem on BAEC and OnBusiness if availability is tight

Plus of course points expire sooner than Avios and it is a hard expiry rather than just needing to earn to keep alive.

As others have said the website is very buggy, also you need a different login which is a bit messy.

The issue with being booked redemption bookings when you need to earn does not apply if you are the company administrator/booker!
Old Jan 12, 18, 7:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Be aware also of the slightly different T&Cís between the scheme for UK companies and others with regard to changing flights. Also different to Avios. UK members can only change any part of an OB booking before the first flight. So if you have a return ticket and have flown the outbound, you will be refused to change the return. The T&Cís displayed for non UK members allow changes up to 24hours before any flight on the booking, just like Avios redemptions.
It is very difficult to talk to a knowledgable agent and (in Bremen anyway) calling the OB number connects to the normal BAEC team who while very friendly are mostly clueless and will need to pass it on and have you called back.The low number of points awarded and the number of conditions that can deem flights ineligible for points mean that it is now very difficult to accrue enough points for a worthwhile redemption before the points expire. I tend to use them for CE redemptions for one-way tickets which would normally be prohibitively expensive.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are no disadvantages though some of us also think that there aren't that many advantages either given the very untransparent system and very low level of reward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: