Search

Chance of getting OPUP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Chance of getting OPUP?

Hi all,

I'm on the BA119 LHR>BLR next Friday 19th Jan. I'm currently booked into WT+ and the flight availability is currently showing as [J8,C5,D3,R1,I0,W0,E0,T0] on EF, Y is currently wide open in all buckets. Looking at that do I have a half decent chance of being bumped in J as a BA Gold travelling on my own? I'm also currently being offered a POUG for £450, but I don't need to travel in J and probably on this trip it's not worth it for me.

Before anyone suggests that you should only expect the cabin you pay for, I'm not relying on an upgrade, but it would be nice on a 9hr30m overnight flight.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Difficult to speculate, but, given those loadings and at this point before the flight, I'd be feeling very quietly confident.
Cymro and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's always important to consider the whole aircraft in these scenarios (which of course you not be overthought....) since one key determinant is how will BA get everyone on board. So the most important piece of data is missing: how is it looking in World Traveller. But still, I wouldn't be paying for a POUG in this scenario, unless the TPs would also be helpful.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Slightly OT, but a question that has puzzled me with WTP upgrades. Let's say most WTP cabins are 24 Seats, if economy is oversold by 24 does that mean that all WTP passengers will be upgraded to J? Or is there some other wizardry to take into account?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flipper118
Slightly OT, but a question that has puzzled me with WTP upgrades. Let's say most WTP cabins are 24 Seats, if economy is oversold by 24 does that mean that all WTP passengers will be upgraded to J? Or is there some other wizardry to take into account?
Only been in that scenario once. The magic beep was almost constant at boarding. Assume that those who didn’t upgrade proof themselves (infants, special meals) would go forward more or less universally.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Yes - for example the fact that not all booked passengers will present themselves for boarding: some may change their mind, others miss connections, etc.

The whole idea of overbooking is that you try to estimate how many passengers you will "lose".
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is reality to take into account.

No airline would ever oversell Economy by 24 or more. And the chances that EVERYONE shows up is almost zero.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So the most important piece of data is missing: how is it looking in World Traveller.
The OP is actually mentioning that "Y is currently wide open in all buckets". I agree that it is a very important element of the puzzle and makes the need for opup far more tentative in my view as WT+ being a smaller cabin is paradoxically a little easier to predict. Many upgrades from WT+ seem to be ripple effects from the overselling of Y (though overselling of W also happens of course)..
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:45 pm

flights are often oversold in all cabins

Last edited by flipper118; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:31 pm Reason: Edited
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is reality to take into account.

No airline would ever oversell Economy by 24 or more. And the chances that EVERYONE shows up is almost zero.
i have seen WT oversold by much more on BA - 60+ more than once. It was op-up and bump galore.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No airline would ever oversell Economy by 24 or more.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA routinely did this on West African routes, sometimes you could add 100 to that number, used to drive check-in staff up the creek. Now 50 or so oversold? Not daily but more than weekly. On JFK a particular service could easily be 50 oversold, fortunately with umpteen flights all leaving within a few hours they usually manage to squeeze everyone on board somehow or other by the final service. Non status passengers in World Traveller are the ones to come across this, unsurprisingly it's not something FTers will necessarily come across.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Yes - for example the fact that not all booked passengers will present themselves for boarding: some may change their mind, others miss connections, etc.

The whole idea of overbooking is that you try to estimate how many passengers you will "lose".
the idea of 'Lose' I guess is two-fold: those who have paid such a low price that they are willing to forgo the flight, and those that have paid for fully flex tickets that they can just change their mind at the drop of a sombrero
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

the idea of 'Lose' I guess is two-fold: those who have paid such a low price that they are willing to forgo the flight, and those that have paid for fully flex tickets that they can just change their mind at the drop of a sombrero
Indeed, particularly when someone else has paid for the flight, but also those who sleep through their alarm, miss their connection or whose documents are not in order to think of another few examples. In the prediction, an airline can also take into account the number of status passengers and by virtue of their flight history it would be possible to predict their likelihood of arriving in time.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by navylad

Indeed, particularly when someone else has paid for the flight, but also those who sleep through their alarm, miss their connection or whose documents are not in order to think of another few examples. In the prediction, an airline can also take into account the number of status passengers and by virtue of their flight history it would be possible to predict their likelihood of arriving in time.

Lets say 12-fold then
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.