Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft tracking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, VS
I'm sure that I'm over simplifying things, but you'd think it would be possible to send this frame East instead of West to avoid the need for a non-ETOPS routing over the Atlantic.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mjuler
I'm sure that I'm over simplifying things, but you'd think it would be possible to send this frame East instead of West to avoid the need for a non-ETOPS routing over the Atlantic.
That was my first thought as well

However you’d be surprised how often we need to use ETOPS to/from India, for example - there’s quite a big gap of usable airfields over Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan for political or safety reasons.

Cairo would have been the obvious choice, but that’s not operated by the 787 at the moment.

Most other destinations to the East are on the -9. Could possibly get away with it to Seoul, but the level cap (crew bunks required) would be more punitive in terms of fuel burn on a longer sector.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wingtip428

That was my first thought as well

However you’d be surprised how often we need to use ETOPS to/from India, for example - there’s quite a big gap of usable airfields over Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan for political or safety reasons.

Cairo would have been the obvious choice, but that’s not operated by the 787 at the moment.

Most other destinations to the East are on the -9. Could possibly get away with it to Seoul, but the level cap (crew bunks required) would be more punitive in terms of fuel burn on a longer sector.
Just out of curiosity - why does use of the crew bunks make a difference to the flight level cap in this scenario?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by volar

Just out of curiosity - why does use of the crew bunks make a difference to the flight level cap in this scenario?
It’s a limitation specific to the 787 with one air conditioning pack unserviceable. I assume due to the ability of the remaining pack to provide adequate airflow/ventilation/oxygen to the bunks at higher altitudes and thinner air?

Our manual just states the limitation without any further explanation, so there could be a different reason that I’m unaware of.
volar likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CKBA
Spoke too soon. BA228 is now due to >2 hours late into lhr... (BA currently claiming its' due to a late departure of incoming flight...)
No bookie would have taken money on that one.

She has a next flight listed to YYC on 14 January, so it's possible that two days of downtime are being used to repair the defect.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
... as long as she doesn't do the 229 on the 17th...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.