Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft tracking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Aircraft tracking

Somewhat unusual track/routing of BA228 (LHR-BWI) and BA229 (BWI-LHR) on 10th January - very, very far north both ways, passing very close to Iceland over Greenland - more typical of west coast tracks. Now, you might retort that it must be the weather, but the BA293/217 and BA292/216 LHR-IAD-LHR were much further south.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
228 is BWI-LHR though and 229 LHR-BWI.

BWI was operated by a B787. Could it be an ETOPS issue due to the engine issues?

Last edited by florens; Jan 11, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by florens
Sounds like a particularily strong jetstream which is not unusual for winter.

JetPlan.com Graphic Weather
Obviously only a BA insider will give us the true reason, but anytime I’ve done that type of outlier routing there has been an issue with the aircraft which has limited its ETOPs certificate to a maximum (below the standard). Given the same type of routing was done on both legs, it is a possible reason - flight fine to go but must be within 60mins of an alternative for example.

Pilot37
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Pilot37

Obviously only a BA insider will give us the true reason, but anytime I’ve done that type of outlier routing there has been an issue with the aircraft which has limited its ETOPs certificate to a maximum (below the standard). Given the same type of routing was done on both legs, it is a possible reason - flight fine to go but must be within 60mins of an alternative for example.

Pilot37
Indeed. I had the same idea just after posting my original post, so I edited my post while you posted yours with my original quote.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Or the aircraft operating the BA228 / BA229 rotation needed to stay within 60 minutes of an airfield?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Is ETOPS aircraft specific, or type specific? The normal BA228/229 routing in much further south - as was BA292/BA293 which is a 787-9....
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKBA
Is ETOPS aircraft specific, or type specific?
Apart from the type being certificated for ETOPS, each individual aircraft must comply with the requirements or else have to operate to normal limits.

I fell foul of this on my one and only attempt so far to fly LCY-JFK. The previous day, the aircraft developed a fault which mean that it could not operate on an ETOPS basis. So it flew a very much longer route like the one you noticed. On the day of my flight, the same fault existed but in addition headwinds were very strong. If my flight had operated, it would have needed the SNN stop plus one more technical stop for fuel. That made it impracticable, so it was cancelled.

This is why I wondered whether the specific aircraft in question yesterday had a fault that meant that it had to stay within 60 minutes.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:03 am

One air conditioning pack unserviceable - the 60 minute requirement mentioned above is correct. Usual ETOPS certification would have been 180 minutes.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Aircraft was G-ZBJH has been plying the TATL route for a number of weeks - seems to have had a similar routing on the YYZ (Toronto)-LHR, but other BWI/EWR have been the usual southerly routes.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wingtip428
One air conditioning pack unserviceable - the 60 minute requirement mentioned above is correct. Usual ETOPS certification would have been 180 minutes.
Is there an altitude restriction as well when on one pack?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is there an altitude restriction as well when on one pack?
Only if the crew rest bunks need to be used, in which case the limit is FL350. Oddly, the flight plan to BWI was capped at FL340 but the return was planned at FL390. Only two pilots on a BWI so they wouldn’t have needed the bunks in either direction, but the cabin crew might not have been overly pleased on the way back...

Other aircraft types can be more restrictive, I seem to remember a FL330 restriction from my A320 days - and sadly no bunks to consider
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aircraft was G-ZBJH has been plying the TATL route for a number of weeks - seems to have had a similar routing on the YYZ (Toronto)-LHR, but other BWI/EWR have been the usual southerly routes.
My guess: a recent fault.

The routes appear conventional up to and including LHR-YYZ on 7 Jan. FR24 has a note of her operating BA98 YYZ-LHR on 7 Jan, but there is no substantive track. That accords with the BA Source's note of her having suffered a technical issue at YYZ that day.

Her next recorded flight on FR24 is on 9 Jan, when she (possibly) positioned (the flight number is BA9601) YYZ-LHR using a very northerly track, and that is what she has been flying since.

So if I were a betting man, I would say that the fault dates from 7 Jan or thereabouts.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

G-ZBJH is on todays BA229 LHR-BWI on a northerly route - this adds about 1 hour to the journey, although oddly the return (BA228) seems 'normal' - at the moment...

Spoke too soon. BA228 is now due to >2 hours late into lhr... (BA currently claiming its' due to a late departure of incoming flight...)

Last edited by CKBA; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:07 pm Reason: update...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Does make you wonder how long they can (or should) operate such aircraft in 'restrictive mode' - both BA228 and 229 on 11 Jan was again G-ZBJH, taking an hour longer out and an hour longer return.

Surely if they know that it's a (much) longer flight time they should provision it accordingly?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:14 am

Does make you wonder how long they can (or should) operate such aircraft in 'restrictive mode' - both BA228 and 229 on 11 Jan was again G-ZBJH, taking an hour longer out and an hour longer return.

Surely if they know that it's a (much) longer flight time they should provision it accordingly?
It depends on the defect, but repairs must be carried out within a specific timeframe. Most of the ones that affect ETOPS would be 10 days.

I imagine they’re balancing the increased fuel burn with the availability of aircraft downtime, spare parts, engineering workload etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.