Wiki Posts
Search

Improvement to TA use of GUF vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Anybody hopeful it will also apply to upgrading TA issued tickets with Avios? I had one flight on which there was plenty of Z availability but I could not get it upgraded because it was TA issued.
TA booked tickets can already be upgraded with avios. I think that change happened at least 2/3 years ago. It needs to be on a BA 125-... ticket and there can't be any non-BA flights on the booking. Also the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA

TA booked tickets can already be upgraded with avios. I think that change happened at least 2/3 years ago. It needs to be on a BA 125-... ticket and there can't be any non-BA flights on the booking. Also the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well.
not in my experience
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Anybody hopeful it will also apply to upgrading TA issued tickets with Avios? I had one flight on which there was plenty of Z availability but I could not get it upgraded because it was TA issued.
Originally Posted by KARFA
TA booked tickets can already be upgraded with avios. I think that change happened at least 2/3 years ago.
Here's a bunch of abbreviations and acronyms for you; in June 2012 I was the JAX UuAT SME (and WNS liaison) when UuAT was launched.

So 5.5 years of being able Upgrade using Avios [on] Trade PNRs. The part about TA in country of membership was in the rules at the time but wasn't enforced consistently. The part about no other airlines in there (unless the TA was also in Amadeus and so the OAL segments were live in the PNR) was and is enforced, or the OAL won't get the new ticket number once it's reissued.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Here's a bunch of abbreviations and acronyms for you; in June 2012 I was the JAX UuAT SME (and WNS liaison) when UuAT was launched.

So 5.5 years of being able Upgrade using Avios [on] Trade PNRs. The part about TA in country of membership was in the rules at the time but wasn't enforced consistently. The part about no other airlines in there (unless the TA was also in Amadeus and so the OAL segments were live in the PNR) was and is enforced, or the OAL won't get the new ticket number once it's reissued.
thanks that’s great information
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Everyone who thinks this is a genuine enhancement is a fool. This is absolutely the first step to removing the ability for TAs to GUF into revenue classes. They are only able to do this because they don’t have access to reward inventory and BA are aware that many of their high tier frequent flyers who have GUFs only book through TAs so they can’t cut off all their bookings from GUFing ability or they would be upset.

Now that BA have technologically and procedurally overcome this hurdle, there is no need for them to offer TAs this function, they can just tell everyone to book through their TA as normal then contact BAEC afterwards to have the GUF applied, subject to award availability of course.

I give it 6 months for the procedure to settle in and people to get used to it before the TA use of GUFs is withdrawn.
AdBoy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Are you saying if the TA is on Amadeus and there's OAL, then the rule is not enforced?
My ticket had no OAL left but still they refused.
One issue is finding a US TA on Amadeus. Apollo does not work, though they seem tied. I have found agents with Apollo but not Amadeus.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:29 pm

I've had success UUA'ing a BA leg on an Expedia booking which also contained some EI segments. Not sure if I got lucky (only 1 data point) or perhaps Expedia = Amadeus?

Either way I did get lucky as was subsequently op-up'd to F on the sector in question! 😃
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Are you saying if the TA is on Amadeus and there's OAL, then the rule is not enforced?
Should work that way, yes. The process might have changed since I left BA though.

My ticket had no OAL left but still they refused.
That's odd. Not sure why that would be.

One issue is finding a US TA on Amadeus. Apollo does not work, though they seem tied. I have found agents with Apollo but not Amadeus.
Apollo is tied with Galileo and Worldspan, while Amadeus is on its own. Apollo and Sabre are popular in the US (since they were developed by UA/AA respectively), while Galileo and Amadeus are more common in Europe (developed by European airlines).

For Amadeus in the US, try Omega World Travel in VA.

Originally Posted by Nikko5
I've had success UUA'ing a BA leg on an Expedia booking which also contained some EI segments. Not sure if I got lucky (only 1 data point) or perhaps Expedia = Amadeus?
I believe Expedia UK/IE are in Amadeus. Expedia US are not.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Just to be clear, I believe it has always been the case that you can't combine UUA and GUF on the same booking ?

So, no matter whether direct with BA or via a TA, you can't start at WT+ and by some combination of UUA and GUF end up with a First ticket ?

I think that's right, but happy to be corrected as currently sitting on too many GUFs and Avios with not enough time to use them all separately !!!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Just to be clear, I believe it has always been the case that you can't combine UUA and GUF on the same booking ?

So, no matter whether direct with BA or via a TA, you can't start at WT+ and by some combination of UUA and GUF end up with a First ticket ?

I think that's right, but happy to be corrected as currently sitting on too many GUFs and Avios with not enough time to use them all separately !!!
Yes you are right, the rules are quite clear on that, GUF and UuA cannot be combined at all. I think this has been the case ever since I joined BAEC around 6-7 years ago. You can apply a GUF to a reward booking though if that's of use to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.