Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvement to TA use of GUF vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just got the same email.

As long as they don't remove the ability to do it the current way, then it is indeed an improvement.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-card-upgrade

There don't seem to be any changes to the trade page on the letter of the policy that I can see, unless it's not yet been updated.
i didn’t read it that way. It says “if you book with a travel agent...” Should be fine to continue the current way too.

admin, feel free to consolidate the threads...!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Yep - Got the same email this morning. Does this means that if booked through a TA, you can upgrade up to 24h before the flight irrespective of reward availability?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Was it always the case that the GUF holder had to be one of the travellers on the booking? I thought not, but maybe I'm mixing it up with the GGL joker, for which the GGL member definitely doesn't need to be one of the travellers.
Yes the GUF holder did need to travel if done through a TA, but did not need to travel if booked directly with BA.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Was it always the case that the GUF holder had to be one of the travellers on the booking?
FWIW, the current T&Cs say:-
9. When a Member books Gold Upgrade vouchers direct with British Airways the Member must pay for the ticket, but is permitted to give the ticket and upgrade to someone else. When a Member books through a travel agent, the Member must also travel on the itinerary.
The September 2017 version archived by KARFA here said:-
10. When a Member books Gold Upgrade vouchers direct with British Airways the Member must pay for the ticket, but is permitted to give the ticket and upgrade to someone else.
To Eat.To Drink likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink

i didn’t read it that way. It says “if you book with a travel agent...” Should be fine to continue the current way too.

admin, feel free to consolidate the threads...!
That is what I would *assume* too, but when British Airways makes a change or touts something as an improvement they're usually saying "Look over here in this shiny box" and "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain".
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Email received just now.

Nice grammar...
”the voucher is only valid if you - the Executive Club Member – is travelling”

Definately a helpful improvement though.
Nice spelling...
Stez and To Eat.To Drink like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone know if this will apply to GUF1? It mentions 2's but not 1's

Or am I being stupid and missed something?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by antipest
Anyone know if this will apply to GUF1? It mentions 2's but not 1's
It does say "... you receive a Gold Upgrade voucher for one or two people when you reach at least 2,500 Tier Points ..." so that would seem to include the GUF1s at higher TP levels.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It does say "... you receive a Gold Upgrade voucher for one or two people when you reach at least 2,500 Tier Points ..." so that would seem to include the GUF1s at higher TP levels.
Thanks for that, that is how it reads but who knows with BA.

Still difficult to use as Carlson Wagonlit can't seem to be able to process them to use for work. So only good for reward bookings if space available.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I haven't received the email but that is a positive change by BAEC ^
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I haven't received the email but that is a positive change by BAEC ^
Call me a heretic, but I am suspicious that BA might remove the revenue class bookings from TA applying GUFs altogether, which would be a typical 'enhancement' we are used to.
Dave_C and Nuster like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
Just spoke to GGL on this and they will only apply the voucher on a TA booking under the new rules if Avios availability is there so whilst it is okay to allow you a free upgrade to the next cabin if you get BA to do this (and not do it with the TA at the time of booking) you will lose out on the higher class TP's - as a result I will stick to using my TA to do this who will book into the higher class with the higher TPs!
@nufnuf77 think I am with you in that they may remove the TA rights over time.....
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Nice spelling...
Definitely no excuse for that.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Call me a heretic, but I am suspicious that BA might remove the revenue class bookings from TA applying GUFs altogether, which would be a typical 'enhancement' we are used to.
Certainly the rationale for BA allowing TA applied GUFs is now removed.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Anybody hopeful it will also apply to upgrading TA issued tickets with Avios? I had one flight on which there was plenty of Z availability but I could not get it upgraded because it was TA issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.