Happy New Year from Alex Cruz

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:49 pm

It's interesting. Clearly the criticism has hit home given his comments about always being a "premium carrier", however it struck me as very much a case of a few tweaks here and there, but pretty much sticking his fingers in his ears and going "lalalalala not listening".

The management team have had feedback from years of going to GGL events that all was not well, yet have chosen to ignore it.

Clearly something has changed. There's some internal metric, I'm guessing NPS based on the YouGov data that's too low to ignore.

I've written an open reply on my blog which will get posted in the morning.

I think the only way we will see meaningful change is when other KPIs start to change. I'm doing my bit having just booked LH/SQ F to head down to SYD.
Crampedin13A and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Well I suddenly feel very left out as I have no email. Funny how much you want something when everyone else has one...dum de dum...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:03 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
"This year, we will be taking delivery of 18 new aircraft, including our first Airbus A320 and A321 'NEOs' with their significantly improved environmental performance."

This made me chuckle, what he presumably means is "given that British Airways is and always will be a premium airline, this year, we will be taking delivery of 18 new aircraft, including our first Airbus A320 and A321 'NEOs' with their significantly improved seat density and financial performance"
to be honest I am surprised they didn't take the chance to twist the PR to say something along the lines of "we are committed to the environment and reducing the emissions per passenger [by stuffing more of you onto a plane] is one of our goals in the coming year"
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Originally Posted by just_starting
You guys should read the email to Blues which I just got to my dad's inbox.

They left out the "British Airways is and always will be a premium airline" paragraph and instead left three blank lines (thanks to their premium IT team as we know).

Quite an embarrassing effort I have to say!
I’m a bronze (soon Blue) and got the same. I’m laughing how the missing “Premium” paragraph describes my activities on another airline rather well!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by dylanks
By BA marketing standards, it was a relatively humble and direct message. It's one step in the right direction towards a more authentic communications style that I've thought for years would better serve them (e.g. being more realistic and honest rather than pretending that everything they deliver is perfect).

I say one step in the right direction because "We have learned some lessons in this past year and where we have fallen short, we have listened and are putting things right." and "We look forward to choosing which destinations to fly them to, and we will let you know as soon as we can." were the type of messaging that feels reasonably authentic to me.

If there's one time a year when a company should send an email like this, it is now. BA have made quite a few legitimate improvements over the past year (far more than I think any of us expected 12 months ago), and it's worth highlighting those once in a while.
I completely agree. Even for a cynic like me, it came across as sincere and honest - I much prefer this style . Maybe the message is getting through - ie it's affecting the bottom line.

A lot of his vision is good - particularly the "just do it" mentality, and I suspect an organisation such as BA needs a shake up in some areas, but I do think they must be careful not to undermine their brand identity.

[From a Bronze member having dropped from Gold to Silver previously - CE densification followed by catering changes for my most regular route of Berlin, as well as the ethics of how Gatwick crew got treated having to re apply for sccm roles did it for me.]
Stez and corporate-wage-slave like this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jan 10, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Damn I'm loving this thread! Still no email though...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:14 am

I read the damm thing hoping somewhere there would be some free avios or a voucher. Got to the end and thought what a load of rubbish. Maybe snr Cruz is worrying about his bonus.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
There are days, and this is one of them, when I really do believe that whatever they do at British Airways, they are in the wrong. Santa Cruz sends a mail, it's wrong, Santa Cruz doesn't it's wrong.

It makes for such depressing reading, and No I haven't had one.

I think most of the comments have been positive regarding the fact it was sent at all, and the tone, certainly I think so despite not being deemed worthy of an email. What I think winds me us is these words are not matching the actions on the ground so to speak. While there are real improvements from BA, for a lot of people the flying experience this year is likely to get worse.

The best brands engage with peoples emotions, obviously, the BA brand does that, the downside of that people get emotional when they perceive the brand is not what it was.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought that the most interesting thing about the email was that within 20 minutes of mine arriving in my inbox, and within 10 minutes of each other, three separate FTers each thought that it was sufficiently important / noteworthy / life-changing to start a thread about it.

Personally, having seen the title of the email, it's the sort of email that I might have opened some time during the next 3 or 4 days.
So I must be missing something here then... my apologies. When I wrote my thread, there was no other thread about this and I was under the impression that this was an internet forum about British Airways, so a letter from the CEO admitting to errors seemed like it might be newsworthy.

I'll wait my allocated 3 days going forward before sharing new news on a site specifically dedicated for that purpose, or wait until I become a Flyertalk Evangelist which I assume comes from creating many posts on said site
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I'd have much preferred something telling me that as a premium airline they were now going to provide sufficient cabin crew to actually deliver a business class meal service on European flights, they were going to provide sufficient food in F and CW cabins such that the distributed menu was actually available to customers seated in the cabin, that the wine on the wine list was also available from the bar, that the bubbles would be chilled before the flight boards, that the crew wouldn't disappear from F for hours at a time on longhaul, that F passengers wouldn't be competing with CW for fun sized milky ways between meal services, that decent bedding would be available on "British Airways" rather than "British Airways but only on one route", that the service (and bedding!) would start to compete with Qantas and others..... *sigh*
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: not a lot
Dear Mr LiviLion

Ram it!!!!!

Kind regards

Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
"...And that is without including our new slots at Gatwick. We look forward to choosing which destinations to fly them to, and we will let you know as soon as we can."

Whilst not bothered about not having received this email, as I've now read it on here, but I am intrigued to know which destinations the new slots will be flying to, but wonder what's wrong with using aircraft!
Worcester likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:53 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
"British Airways is and always will be a premium airline and we are investing Ł4.5bn over the next 5 years to give you the best flying experience possible. One example of this is our transformation of the dining and bedding in our Club World cabins. This has started on services to and from New York and will roll out across all routes in the coming year."

I think these sentences sum up BA's problems. Why does it take BA 12-18 months to roll-out something as simple as new blankets and catering changes?

Now if they were rolling out new seats I could understand it, but how on earth can it take a company 18 months to make basic changes such as these?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gms
but how on earth can it take a company 18 months to make basic changes such as these?
Miniscule budget.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gms

I think these sentences sum up BA's problems. Why does it take BA 12-18 months to roll-out something as simple as new blankets and catering changes?

Now if they were rolling out new seats I could understand it, but how on earth can it take a company 18 months to make basic changes such as these?
For many of us who are familiar with fast-acting, pro-active businesses it is certainly a source of some wonder & bemusement. Yes, it’s a significant change ; but we’re talking about a very large carrier, with a very large workforce, which has been operating around the world for many decades - not some new start-up.

My own view (FWIW !) is that - when it comes to spending ‘new’ money - there is no true sense of urgency or strong motivation. For as long as the bookings keep coming in for the current product, we will continue to see such slow implementation where tangible improvement is concerned.

Changes such as BoB (a revenue earner rather than a cost of course) do tend to happen much more quickly. Ironically, a much more gradual rollout on that might very likely have been beneficial in terms of identifying logistical problems and demand patterns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.