Search

avios.com or ba.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
avios.com or ba.com

Hello,

I was wandering what the differences of booking redemptions on avios.com are compared to ba.com. The avios.com site is really annoying to use compared to ba.com and i notice i can just transfer avios unlimited between the sites so is it better to just always transfer avios to ba.com and use it there?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
RFS would be the obvious answer as far as I am aware.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you prefer ba.com, the only reasons to use avios.com that I can think of would be:

- To use a Lloyds vouchers
- If only your avios.com account qualified for RFS
- To book for someone outside your HHA / F&F list
- To book Vueling (I think) or to book EI online (possibly at higher cost)

An avios.com HH account would stop you transferring to BAEC, but it does offer a round-about way to move avios between members.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think if you are very used to BAEC Avios.com's approach may look odd, but for I suspect most travellers the Avios.com layout is simpler and much, much faster. It also has a handy late availability screen with ideas. Bear in mind that approximately two thirds of the UK only makes zero to two flights a year, if they want to earn airmiles, perhaps for a big future event, then BAEC may not be right for them.

If you have membership of BAEC then you would need a good reason to go to Avios.com for redemptions - this could be online Aer Lingus redemptions (at a higher cost) for example. In the past Avios.com had some airlines in it not on BAEC, Air Malta, for example, though the circumstances behind that were rather odd. Otherwise for BAEC members Avios.com is useful for accruing Avios in areas that BAEC does not offer, such as Caffè Nero and Tesco. It's also the entry point for Aer Lingus and Vueling's schemes too. Anyone UK based who is serious about Avios should have an Avios account as well as Iberia Plus and BAEC, but BAEC and IB Plus is probably where the reservations would be made.
Roger likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by pauldb
If you prefer ba.com, the only reasons to use avios.com that I can think of would be:

- To use a Lloyds vouchers
- If only your avios.com account qualified for RFS
- To book for someone outside your HHA / F&F list
- To book Vueling (I think) or to book EI online (possibly at higher cost)

An avios.com HH account would stop you transferring to BAEC, but it does offer a round-about way to move avios between members.
I knew I missed something, thanks for pointing it out. To use Lloyds Vouchers!
There again, i can just transfer to/from avios.com at will unlimited so I think its best to just book on ba.com as I can transfer my Amex points there while the Lloyds points on avios.com can be transfered to ba.com to book tickets, unless I am using the Lloyds Voucher of course.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you have membership of BAEC then you would need a good reason to go to Avios.com for redemptions - this could be online Aer Lingus redemptions (at a higher cost) for example
But see my post here re shorthaul... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1887227-ei-shorthaul-avios-via-baec-phone-rather-than-avios-com.html
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I tend to just use Avios.com for a final check of availability as it does appear to occasionally differ to BA. If i recall correctly flybe seemed to come up with more seats on Avios.com. I really like the BA calendar of availability for searching popular routes, I wish this was available for partner redemptions too.

The most frustrating thing I find is actually with Ibera and not Avios/BA. Iberia seems to have a lot more availability than BA for flights to/from South America BUT none of it shows if you search for a one way flight, whereas on BA one-way flights are fine. Examples like Santiago to Puntas Arenas, or Rio Gallegos to Buenos Aires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.