Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG QR (T1) to BA (T2C) 2hr connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
CDG QR (T1) to BA (T2C) 2hr connection

Do you think i should do this?

- Arrive QR39 (arriving 12:50pm)
- Connect / depart to BA312 (departing 2:55pm)

Flights will be on separate ticket. Understand it is a T1 to T2C transfer.

May or not may not get them to through check - this is theoretically possible*, but I am unsure if the agent at an outport will do so for me (flying CMB-xDOH-CDG).

*MCT is 2 hours.

Last edited by ermen; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:18 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It will be up to QR if they will do this so perhaps better placed in the relevant forum, but I could tell this was on separate tickets since this is well below the Minimum Connection Time (3 hours), so I'm not sure it's even theoretically possible. It is one of those connections which may be best done landside too. HBO I'd probably risk it, if missing the BA flight / buying a replacement ticket / Same Day Change wasn't too problematic.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It will be up to QR if they will do this so perhaps better placed in the relevant forum, but I could tell this was on separate tickets since this is well below the Minimum Connection Time (3 hours), so I'm not sure it's even theoretically possible. It is one of those connections which may be best done landside too. HBO I'd probably risk it, if missing the BA flight / buying a replacement ticket / Same Day Change wasn't too problematic.
thought was 2 hours MCT
Yikes if its 3 hours then I don't think I will have snowball's chance of making the connection.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If you have baggage, forget it - you'll need to allow longer than 2 hours to be safe.

I've done it multiple times, albeit as HBO, and it's still a rush.

M
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ermen
thought was 2 hours MCT
Yikes if its 3 hours then I don't think I will have snowball's chance of making the connection.
Therein lies a tale: MCT at CDG is extra long, I can't think of anywhere similar with such a long MCT. Historically connections in Roissy were pretty awful, and the chance of baggage/passenger reconciliation on short connections was such that BA introduced this massive MCT, not least because if baggage had to be offloaded it would also take some time to organise there. Over the last 2 or 3 years CDG has greatly improved the experience, though the layout of T1 and T2 (and its various wings) was always a triumph of les grands projets over practicality. T1 to T2 is never going to be a slick transfer but CDGVAL at least speeds it up on landside. If you are HBO and on a Plus ticket then I'd probably give it a go. MCT probably should be reduced a bit there. Otherwise if you want a slicker experience you best rebook on one of the 8 or so services from DOH to LHR.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I did the same last year on 2 tickets [AKL-DOH-CDG // CDG-LHR], arriving CDG at 07:15 CDG and departing at 10:30, with my luggage through checked at QR. I remember:
  • Quite a long walk (over 15 mins) from QR to where the terminal transfer bus leaves from including 0min queue for Transit Security
  • A 15 minute wait for the bus - the low frequency was surprising.
  • 15 minute bus journey to the BA terminal.
  • 5 mins walk to the BA gate.
Just for the journey (without contingency time, boarding closure etc) the minimum would be 1 hour. If going HBO on your timings, I'd likely take the risk, but want to make sure your BA flight were available for same day change. The Cathay Lounge was also pretty descent if you were going to book a later BA flight to add breathing space.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:04 am

QR at CMB were happy to through-check my bags onto a FlyBE separate ticket at CDG last year (I had already paid for a bag on the BE ticket). As BE are not even OneWorld, I would back your chances of through-checking onto BA. (They even printed my boarding pass for the BE leg!) I was in Business on QR, not sure if relevant.

You need the green airside shuttle bus at CDG between 1 and 2C (I then had to get a second bus to 2E from 2C!)

http://easycdg.com/passenger-information/connecting-flight-connections-paris-cdg-airport/transfer-terminal-1/

Perhaps book an RFS on the following BA departure as "insurance" ?
I would do your connection if HBO or bags checked through (& if I had cheap options for a later BA flight), but not if I had to collect bags and re-check landside.

Last edited by Nikko5; Jan 10, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Echoing others, I fear, but while I'm yet to have an issue with connections at CDG (on HBO), I have had slight worries concerning the transit bus between terminals and it is something to be wary of.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

on second thoughts - probably will opt to fly into LHR direct for better peace of mind - price is only a little bit more expensive after taking into account the potential CDG-LHR tag flight
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For the record, I wouldn't do it either. T1-T2C is one of the most awkward connections at CDG, they are most distant and that specific bus route is infrequent, plus T1, which QR use is a weird terminal with multiple satellites (it's the older terminal, people used to think it was fab and modern in the 1970s. Enough said.). This can also mean rescreening security not just once but twice in the BA to QR direction! OP said he'll now fly direct which is of course best, but if wanting to do that sort of connection, which is fine, I'd plan at least 3 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
FYI BA use 2A, not 2C in Paris.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I did exactly this last year, although as I was on a through AA award ticket, I had to be booked on the next BA to meet MCT. I went landside, smoked a number of cigarettes, and still would have easily made the earlier flight. Of course depends if your QR is on time!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6501
FYI BA use 2A, not 2C in Paris.
That's absolutely right, but 2A and 2C have actually been joined into one terminal and in practice, for the purposes of connections from T1, you arrive with the green line in the area between 2A and 2C so it doesn't really make much of a difference until you know your gate (which will indeed be on the A side, typically A45 or A47)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Precisely an 80% chance of making it if you're HBO, in my experience. If HBO, I would go landside (if you're in J class) and take the CDGVAL, rather than the airside transit bus route, which has been extremely inefficient in the limited times I've used it. As others have said, I don't think they'll let you check luggage through on separate tickets with only a 2 hour connection, so I wouldn't even try that. I would say the connection will only work if you're HBO, and there'll be no messing about!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Is Eurostar an option rather than the connecting flight? It's 2.5-3 hours from CDG to St Pancras with a quick and easy change at Lille (so no backtracking via Paris itself) - personally I would pick this unless heading specifically to the Heathrow area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.