I got caught pilfering!

Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA UA BA
Originally Posted by HilFly
If I visit a lounge, usually take a handful of teabags. Apart from one glass of champagne, I don't drink alcohol on board but I do drink copious amounts of tea. All too often on BA, my tea of choice is not available on board so I stock up in the lounge.
You could stock up at home!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I might liberate a few bottles of LPGS on my next visit to the CCR just in case they don't have any in WT+

Crisps and fruit a couple of times for me although I find the Kettle crisps greasy and not that good anyway. Just need to remember to eat or dispose of the fruit in case it gets picked up by a sniffer dog or customs check.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Airprox

On my way to the lavatory in the middle of the night AUS-LHR last week I bumped into one of the First Officers on his way back to the front with armfuls of yellow kettle crisps and mini chocolate bars.
Captain must’ve been peckish

Last edited by wingtip428; Jan 12, 2018 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Try Easyjet then

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Fevertree light is the only thing im fessing up to - usually because ALL of my longhaul flights they either say a) none were loaded or b) its very limited and we've already run out...why BA cant increase the amount of light tonic loaded on the plane i will never know...even on my recent First leg, they ran out after one drinks round
You could just try Easyjet then. They carry the Fevertree plain tonic water and also the elderflower version. And they don't run out like British Airways BoB.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by jepipk3
You could stock up at home!
I don't want it at home. I want it on board, where BA list it as a drink available in CW & F, but all too often I am told either that it wasn't loaded, or they have run out of it.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
things i usually grab from lounges:
1) Water. blame the psudo-terrorist protection groups. i cannot bring water thru security so i take sufficient to last me till hotel, or perhaps the morning after. (unless they provide water from a tap or jug, i shall take whatever convinient - and that would include 1.5L bottles or 750ml glass flask. QF is one of the lounges that only provides tap... )
2) Crisps: +1's pet peeve. best way to stop her from stopping me do things she doesnt like a lot - like to arguing with hotel staff who doesnt give suitable upgrades.
3) icecream... if i feel like it. takes some time for icecream to soften up. walking to gate and board seems about the right time if i couldnt consume in the lounge cuz its too hard

oh - i shall confess I have taken some toiletries from the CX lounge even tho it was in 500ml format. oh well. and the other time when JL still served yamazaki 12 in the lounge i took a perrier bottle worth of 330ml.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
If I visit a lounge, usually take a handful of teabags...
What is this special tea that can't be found anywhere else? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JayeJ
What is this special tea that can't be found anywhere else? Enquiring minds want to know.
If you read the later follow up, the writes states the tea desired is often not available ON THE FLIGHT. That does not mean "anywhere else". See reply/response #80 .
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
If anyone is travelling through Heathrow (or indeed passing by any WH Smith Travel store) they are offering a free breakfast on o2 priority every morning this week between 07-11am. Hope this helps any light fingered FT'ers.

https://priority.o2.co.uk/offers/5a5...eakfasts-on-us
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tmac100
If you read the later follow up, the writes states the tea desired is often not available ON THE FLIGHT. That does not mean "anywhere else". See reply/response #80 .

I think the point is that if the OP wishes to avoid the risk of damnation and hell's fires, he/she could easily carry a stock of tea bags acquired legitimately.

Nicking tea bags because those supplied on board don't contain the type of leaf favoured seems a weak excuse.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Of course everyone's line of what is acceptable here is different. I've taken the odd bag of crisps or can of coke but take the view that, whatever I feel I want to take from the lounge, I'd be happy to carry out in my hands without feeling guilty or awkward.

Putting these items in your bag makes sense from the perspective of convenience of carrying them around, but if people need to do this out of embarrassment or when no-one is looking then I think they know it's not quite right.

I was in disbelief in the F lounge at JNB last week when a couple must have started wearing out the carpet between their seats and the fridges, loading up their bags with bottles of water, umpteen cans of other drinks. I could only assume they were flying in Y, but even then it seemed a lot for an overnight flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think the point is that if the OP wishes to avoid the risk of damnation and hell's fires, he/she could easily carry a stock of tea bags acquired legitimately.

Nicking tea bags because those supplied on board don't contain the type of leaf favoured seems a weak excuse.
The OP took cans of ginger ale from the lounge, not teabags.

Here's another way to look at it. I am helping BA by redistributing their tea bags from the lounge, where they have plenty, to an aircraft for a 7 hour flight on which they are listed on the menu but frequently not available, and I know there is at least one passenger who is going to want them.

I'm saving BA all the hassle and expense of dealing with a customer complaint after the flight. Just helping them out.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The OP took cans of ginger ale from the lounge, not teabags.

Here's another way to look at it. I am helping BA by redistributing their tea bags from the lounge, where they have plenty, to an aircraft for a 7 hour flight on which they are listed on the menu but frequently not available, and I know there is at least one passenger who is going to want them.

I'm saving BA all the hassle and expense of dealing with a customer complaint after the flight. Just helping them out.
Sorry, my OP was the one instigating the tea-bag exchange: and that might well be you

I was being tongue-in-the-cheek facetious: I really have no interest in what folk take from the lounge: indeed I liberate stuff myself quite freely. I just get mildly annoyed at exculpatory efforts, usually on the lines of "only three.." and "because of my bad back... " (etc).

But I admire your "helping out" reasoning - yet note it could lead to the helpful bagging of champagne bottles, just in case ...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm afraid I raised the issue of teabags, I had no idea this would be especially controversial. I mentioned it as I was a little surprised but I hadn't thought of on board.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:54 am

I'll admit to the teabags thing. * Shrug *

I'm reasonably certain they're still going to be making a profit off me taking into account the few I grab per year for flight / hotel use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.