Best options for summer trip to WAS

Old Jan 9, 18, 1:47 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
Best options for summer trip to WAS

I am planning a summer trip to the US and planning to stop over in DC en route to stay with family. We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 9) will be flying in J, GLA-LHR-WAS.

The return leg is a no-brainer for me - 10.20pm flight on UD of 747 from IAD. I am less sure about the outbound flight though. I am tempted by the 787 to BWI. I have not flown on the 787 and keen to try it. Can I ask if there is any downside to BWI vs IAD as our portal to the US? I have arrived in IAD a number of times. My preconception would be that BWI might be a bit quieter to arrive in to? Plus no daft moon buggies! I guess the cab ride to DC is a bit longer though.

Grateful for any words of wisdom...
Old Jan 9, 18, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GLA View Post
I am planning a summer trip to the US and planning to stop over in DC en route to stay with family. We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 9) will be flying in J, GLA-LHR-WAS.

The return leg is a no-brainer for me - 10.20pm flight on UD of 747 from IAD. I am less sure about the outbound flight though. I am tempted by the 787 to BWI. I have not flown on the 787 and keen to try it. Can I ask if there is any downside to BWI vs IAD as our portal to the US? I have arrived in IAD a number of times. My preconception would be that BWI might be a bit quieter to arrive in to? Plus no daft moon buggies! I guess the cab ride to DC is a bit longer though.

Grateful for any words of wisdom...
If arriving on a weekday (Mo-Fr, i.e. when the MARC operates) then I would pick BWI by choice as it is a frequent, convenient and inexpensive train direct from the airport to the centre of Washington. The only real downside on this route would be if you were in WT, which as it's a 788 would be close to horrific.
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:00 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead View Post
If arriving on a weekday (Mo-Fr, i.e. when the MARC operates) then I would pick BWI by choice as it is a frequent, convenient and inexpensive train direct from the airport to the centre of Washington. The only real downside on this route would be if you were in WT, which as it's a 788 would be close to horrific.
That would be a dreadful way to start a holiday! Might be grounds for divorce!
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:21 pm

No real downside to BWI. IAD and BWI are pretty much the same distance from downtown DC, but IAD has a more direct route with far fewer traffic delays. You have the Dulles Access Road, which is limited access for 13 miles, and then Interstate 66, which takes you to the DC border. BWI, you have the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and New York Avenue, which are far more prone to delays. But, since your flight will be arriving in the evening, traffic delays shouldn't be a major factor if you take a cab. Nonetheless, the IAD trip will likely take you less time, go through a far better part of town, and cost a bit less.

The commuter train - the MARC line - is a big advantage for BWI most of the day, but if you are scheduled to arrive at 7pm, there are only two MARC trains after that. One is at 725pm, which is unworkable for you, and the other at 925pm. Otherwise, you would have to take the far more expensive AMTRAK trains, which would cost more than a cab or limo for four people.

BWI is a perfectly fine choice, especially if you want to fly the 787. And a cab into DC would probably be advised at that time of day. Otherwise, it is a toss-up.

Hope this is of help, and have a good trip.
Old Jan 9, 18, 4:26 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Thanks! Very helpful.
Old Jan 12, 18, 6:08 am

I'd be inclined to taxi vs bus-train-metro-walk from bwi since taxi is door to door and cost is closer because you have four people vs one person.