Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to move under false pretences...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Whenever I have asked (a handful of times), it has always been at check-in with a note in the system for the person in the seat in question, and at check-in they are asked, and if they say no, end of story.

Note, asking is only in these situations
- Due to rebooking or some issue out of my control, I am scattered from my children. Note an 8 year or even my 12 year old, I do not believe can manage themselves on a long haul flight. What if there is an emergency, they become sick etc etc, it is not appropriate to foster that care onto someone else. Just because they can work a seat and the entertainment does not mean they are an adult and self sufficient.
- The seat swap is same/same or they are getting what I consider to be a better seat.

I am amazed at the people who demand to switch to sit next to a colleague, or believe that they can swap the poorer seat for the better.

I would never directly ask a passenger to shift, and will insist that as the airline cancelled, rebooked or whatever my flight that duty of care extends to fixing a necessary seating issue.

KF
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
More of a general comment but one of the frustrating things about this forum is when posters come up with the most fanciful hypotheses in order to potentially explain service shortcomings.Sometimes BA like any airline, messes up. In this case it is much more likely that a CC acting on the spur of the moment used the screen issue as a way of defusing a passenger issue. On reflection they may not do it again or they may do but I cannot see the harm in acknowledging that the most obvious answer is most likely the answer.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:09 pm

There was once when I came to my seat at 64A and there was a man in his 60s already at 64B with his wife of similar age at 63A. They didn’t acknowledge my presence and kept on chatting between them. Clearly the man was eyeing a change of seat for his wife to mine but didn’t (dare to?) ask me. At one point I overheard the man say to his partner - maybe he did indeed intend it to be loud enough for me to hear - “... not like he’s going to move anywhere!”

Er, sir, a polite request and I may consider. But a passive aggressive statement just goes over my head and I am very good at pretending to be dumb in these circumstances.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Back in the '90s my late wife and I were on one of our first flights in F on a 747 and were sitting in the fifth row. Prior to take off one of the cabin crew asked if we would move seats as a family wanted to sit together. It was a wealthy, possible royal, family from the middle east who had booked 10 seats in F and we were offered 1A&K. Sometimes these things can work in your favour.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:04 pm

Haha. The wealthy possibly royal family must have wanted the hoi pilloi to be tucked away out of sight...

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Back in the '90s my late wife and I were on one of our first flights in F on a 747 and were sitting in the fifth row. Prior to take off one of the cabin crew asked if we would move seats as a family wanted to sit together. It was a wealthy, possible royal, family from the middle east who had booked 10 seats in F and we were offered 1A&K. Sometimes these things can work in your favour.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
What does annoy is when the crew swap a passenger to a reserved seat before the holder has boarded and then attempt to persuade the passenger to accept the alternative. IMO that should never happen.
Dambus, rakehey and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Why do people get so annoyed with you for taking your assigned seat. It seems the higher in cabin you go, the worse people are, as if they're entitled to an empty seat (or friend/spouse) next to them. You get some of the nastiest looks from people when you innocently take your seat
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by SCSA
Why do people get so annoyed with you for taking your assigned seat. It seems the higher in cabin you go, the worse people are, as if they're entitled to an empty seat (or friend/spouse) next to them. You get some of the nastiest looks from people when you innocently take your seat
agreed, but at the end of the day it’s just a seat, yeah I wouldn’t swap 1C for a 3D on CE service, but why get worked up over it?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Why do people get so annoyed with you for taking your assigned seat. It seems the higher in cabin you go, the worse people are, as if they're entitled to an empty seat (or friend/spouse) next to them.
Because many people need/want to feel more special than the next person when all are entitled only to a commoditised product. They need to feel that they should have enough clout to demand better seating rights than you, and to have had their (more special) desires pandered to above yours. That's basically what drives the excessive emotion.

Seating isn't the only aspect. Look at all the people who get seriously annoyed by not being boarded ahead of others in their cabin, or getting the same (non-)greeting as the other passengers in their cabin, to take two common examples. It doesn't excuse the airline for not delivering what it should, and there are good reasons why some things ought to be done for some passengers - but when the passenger gets worked up about it, it says more about their own insecurities and world view than anything else.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:03 am

In most cases ego or inflated view of their importance in life.
Crampedin13A and Nuster like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do we ever get to hear from the "other" person in these threads?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DrGee
Do we ever get to hear from the "other" person in these threads?
Yes, funny that isn't it?

In the case of FTers there may be a logical explanation - they know the various things that can and cannot happen, so can arrange their lives to get UD seating, for example. Also, realistically, those who are very particular about how they fly are going to be in this forum. And I am not sure most people are that bothered.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

In the case of FTers there may be a logical explanation - they know the various things that can and cannot happen, so can arrange their lives to get UD seating, for example. Also, realistically, those who are very particular about how they fly are going to be in this forum. And I am not sure most people are that bothered.
Or just possibly they know that to avoid being flamed here they either need to keep quiet or put a gloss on what they do to explain why it is only 'others' whose behaviour is unreasonable. [Disclaimer - this isn't a reference to post no. 61. Definitely not. Not at all. Nope!]
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

A very erudite observation. I certainly arrange my schedule around seat availability.
Crampedin13A and rossmacd like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was on an Open Skies flight last month in 3F, a window. A flight attendant asked me to move to 1D so a family could sit together. She said "we've got 1D for you, it's the exact same seat". Well, no it isn't it's an aisle and I didn't want an aisle so I declined.

The funny part was the mother in the family (I was sitting next to one of her daughters, she was across the aisle with her other daughter and her husband was in 1D) was mortified and told me she was really sorry and didn't want me to switch and that the flight attendant never should have disturbed me.
BadgerBoi and GaxxyFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.