Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Hike again to choose seat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Price Hike again to choose seat

I am flying MIA to LHR in September in Club World. Have been checking seat availability. Upper deck just went from $230 to $262 pp. Loser deck was raised $7pp. So, after you pay for your ticket, it close to $300 to pick a seat in the upper deck. Only three are taken at the moment.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by wesport
I am flying MIA to LHR in September in Club World. Have been checking seat availability. Upper deck just went from $230 to $262 pp. Loser deck was raised $7pp. So, after you pay for your ticket, it close to $300 to pick a seat in the upper deck. Only three are taken at the moment.
I think I would pay not to sit on the “loser” deck ;-)

Last edited by navylad; Feb 21, 2020 at 5:29 am
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
I think I would pay not to sit on the “looser” deck ;-)
It sounds even worse than the “loser” deck!
RoyalSwazi, navylad and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Seat pricing is dynamic, if you are heading into paying for seats it's best to pay for them on the initial booking since it won't get cheaper than that.

Seat Selection: Dynamic Pricing
navylad likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Seat pricing is dynamic, if you are heading into paying for seats it's best to pay for them on the initial booking since it won't get cheaper than that.

Actually, I had a case last weekend where it was cheaper at check in than time of booking. Because of an aircraft change to the A320neo we got "exit row" seats for Ł8. Exit row seat on the original A319/20 were dearer and iirc, there were no Ł8 seats available, Cheapest on offer to me was Ł13.

The seats weren't real "exit row" seats and the FA told us to write and ask for our money back, but I'll leave the details of that for a detailed thread when I get time.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
On the bright side, you have reminded me to appreciate my lifetime status benefits this morning
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I somehow missed the dynamic pricing development.. interesting.

It’s worth remembering that the prices are actually meant to discourage purchases, but BA will take the money if the customer insists.
Tobias-UK, Tokyoite and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
On the bright side, you have reminded me to appreciate my lifetime status benefits this morning
And of course an airline would never, ever change these.
Silver Fox, IBJoel and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
And of course an airline would never, ever change these.

Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

If so, why won’t airlines give a discount (money refund?) to incentivise people who pick a less favourable seat, like one near the toilets, or the divider to Y and PE?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sorry, but still dont understand why BA charges for seat selection in J , does the seat charge apply to F too?
after all, if a passenger is paying that much for a ticket, why does BA want to charge for a seat (yes I know, because they can)
Not sure if BA is the only OW airline that chargers for seats in J or F....
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by fotographer
but still dont understand why BA charges for seat selection in J , does the seat charge apply to F too?
after all, if a passenger is paying that much for a ticket, why does BA want to charge for a seat (yes I know, because they can)
It's not just that. The policy also pleases those who can pick seats without having to pay for them, because they then have more seats to choose from.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:10 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
sorry, but still dont understand why BA charges for seat selection in J , does the seat charge apply to F too?
Not sure if BA is the only OW airline that chargers for seats in J or F....
Yes, because they can, and also to ensure good seat availability for BA & oneworld elites (we can select seats for free).

No charge for F.
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's not just that. The policy also pleases those who can pick seats without having to pay for them, because they then have more seats to choose from.
I understand that point of view.. so why does not BA just block some on the "prime seats" for their elites.. and OW elites, and leave the rest for those who are booking J without status.
I can only think of the 747 upper deck, having better seats in J then the lower deck. Other then that, I really cant think of any seat in J, on BA that is so great
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
sorry, but still don't understand why BA charges for seat selection in J , does the seat charge apply to F too?
Selection is free in F. I suppose that might be seen as a deciding factor when the J<F price differential is relatively small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.