Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
At ZRH last night, they actually called Group 1 from the Group 1-3 queue and boarded them first.
Just did the same for my LAX flight from LHR.
They did that for BA717 on Sunday. What an utter disaster!

Before the call-out, there was a fairly orderly queue for Groups 1–3. Then they made the call and it seemed like everyone in the queue assumed that people in front of them were not group 1 and it was a total, chaotic scrum towards the boarding gates, not helped by the queue being on the right side and the gates being on the left side. I was probably around number 6 in the original queue, yet more than 20 people ended up boarding before me with no chance of me getting my bag anywhere near my seat.

And to make matters worse, the gate was changed from D34 to D41 ten minutes before the original boarding time…
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Surely it is a ruck or a maul as scrummage is a set piece....
IMO boarding is a set piece. There's a little bit of pushing and shoving until boarding is called, then it's the final big push with everyone either pushing towards the gate, or pushing back!

rb211.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
T5 to MAN this morning, the turnaround manager walked down the airbridge with the “Group 0” gate baggage checkers and ensured that they all left their bags at the right place to be put in the hold. Excellent work 👍
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jfallesen
They did that for BA717 on Sunday. What an utter disaster!

Before the call-out, there was a fairly orderly queue for Groups 1–3. Then they made the call and it seemed like everyone in the queue assumed that people in front of them were not group 1 and it was a total, chaotic scrum towards the boarding gates, not helped by the queue being on the right side and the gates being on the left side. I was probably around number 6 in the original queue, yet more than 20 people ended up boarding before me with no chance of me getting my bag anywhere near my seat.

And to make matters worse, the gate was changed from D34 to D41 ten minutes before the original boarding time…
Wherever possible they should have separate queues for Groups 1, 2 and 3, and then lump 4 and 5 together. You then "release" each queue in turn That's what they did at Basel last week and it was very civilised and perfectly executed. I realise that the gate layout might not always allow for this, in which case the gate staff simply need to manage the process properly, boarding Group 1 first (not Groups 1-3, as that is simply pointless) and turning back everyone who tries to board out of turn.
subject2load and jfallesen like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Arrived at LHR T5 Gate 11 this evening with about 40 minutes before boarding. There was already a queue of 20 for Group 1, but no more queues for any other groups.

Made me wonder why.. Surely the Groups 4-5 are the only groups at significantly greater risk of not getting bag space, so even if you were a Group 1 and waited until every other passenger has boarded, there still shouldn't be a problem?

So, I tried it. I boarded at the end of Group 1 and easily found space for my bag where I wanted it.. experiment over
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Arrived at LHR T5 Gate 11 this evening with about 40 minutes before boarding. There was already a queue of 20 for Group 1, but no more queues for any other groups.

Made me wonder why.. Surely the Groups 4-5 are the only groups at significantly greater risk of not getting bag space, so even if you were a Group 1 and waited until every other passenger has boarded, there still shouldn't be a problem?

So, I tried it. I boarded at the end of Group 1 and easily found space for my bag where I wanted it.. experiment over
Often wondered why there's only ever a huge queue for group one, yet the 2,3,4,5 line is totally empty.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:52 am

Sunday 3rd March, BA2299, STN/TXL, no enforcement of boarding by group, just the usual CE and status passengers quickly followed by the rest. All very civilised,
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
1 March BA593 LIS-LHR

Boarding was marked as 1-3. The (automatic) call was “First class, business class, platinum, gold and silver”!

It was a bus anyway. I think one bus was a priority boarding bus. It all felt very Ryanair.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
AMS last Wednesday, an absolute scrum. A full A321 and a tight gate area that really needed pre-boarding policing.

CPH last night, premium gate-entry, then a scrum to get through the door.

Both cases were possible to enforce but staff didn't do it.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DocWatson
CPH last night, premium gate-entry, then a scrum to get through the door.
Much as I really don't like CPH as an airport, I generally find them to handle priority boarding well. Every time I have flown from there, they have generally let everybody into the gate and then done priority boarding from the gate with the usual outstation Group 1-2-3 and Group 4-5 signs. And they have always enforced it.

Last time I was there (on the 25th February) they even called out group 1 separately.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by jfallesen
.................................................. .....

Last time I was there (on the 25th February) they even called out group 1 separately.
Which is, let’s be honest, what should be happening at every station, for every flight.

It really isn’t difficult to call out individual groups by ascending number - but to wait until each group has filtered past the gate before calling the next. It’s the whole point of creating separate groups in the first place. If the correct process were applied consistently, then people would (eventually) get the message.

But yes ..... I can understand why you report it with an implied sense of surprise !

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Unfortunately not this time. Announcement for Group 1, at which point the 40-odd folk gathered around the door and between the seats made a dash for it. No checks at the doors. I wasn't especially fussed, but on a busy flight the overhead situation would be concerning. And it wasn't 40 Golds given the 5 Blue app icons I saw, all of whom took the stairs to enter at the rear door so weren't in CE.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
MIA-LHR BA208 yesterday.

A380 - full - so plenty of people.

Before boarding even began, the roped off area for group 1-3 was jammed with passengers.

When group 1 boarding was called, had to find my way through the crowd in the roped off queue passage to be able to get on board. "Excuse me, excuse me...." People just standing in the queue leaving no room for anyone to pass.

I had a friend behind me in group 2. He told me later that they forgot to call group 2, went from group 1 to 3. And that's when everyone tried to board!!

Pointless exercise.
Mightymouse likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:45 am

DYKWIA vs British disapproval

BA781 ARN-HEL just now. Orderly queues formed for group1, groups 2/3, and groups 4/5 by T-15.

Chap cuts across the middle of Groups 2/3 queue and says somewhat loudly (not sure if this is to a companion or no one in particular) something like “it doesn’t look like they’re using the groups” (?!)

British woman who had been cut in front of “I think you’ll find they are”. Cue a polite but somewhat passive-aggressive discussion with him assuring that he’ll just let people go past and her being sceptical but terribly British about it.

In fairness he was true to his word, but... needless drama?!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW remains useless as ever. Whether l/h or s/h, the desks are generally at the entrance to the holding pen. The only subsequent control of Groups is via almost inaudible announcements from those remote desks (to which the staff are presumably glued).

That’s from 2 trips so far this year (1 s/h and 1 l/h, both also with connections back to JER of course), with the same every time. Same with all of last year’s flights ex-LGW. They simply do NOT arrange for, or police, Priority Boarding ... they just trust pax to be obedient (if the pax can actually hear the announcements).
Greyscot and TheOldMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.