Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Wifie
Travelled to Rome last week with a group of friends on the new LCY>FCO>LCY route and was quite impressed with the boarding experience at FCO..
At FCO, although Group 2 on my boarding pass, I waited to board with the only member of our group who was in Group 4 so I got to see the process.
There was one Priority Lane marked out at the right hand side of the gate and a General Boarding "snaking" line marked out with tensa barriers on the left.

This was my first visit to Rome and overall I was pretty impressed with FCO. Through security and passport control at departure in less than 5 minutes, and clear, organised boarding. Amazing.
Sounds excellent ! It can be done.

And ..... in some contrast to rjn21’s experience at T5 above (#773).

We need to poach some of those FCO gate agents, and bring them over to LHR
Wifie likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
At NCE last weekend, two desks open - one agent called for group 1 only, the other called for group 1,2 and 3 all at once.

Which was still better than at LGW, where it was a case of "all aboard".

Its been nearly a year now and they still seem to be struggling with it.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:58 am

Is MAD boarding always so chaotic? Flew back from MAD last night on BA461 (the 777 aircraft). Groups 1 and 2/3 were lined up to the left, the other groups to the right. Two doors used, one leading to the front of the F cabin, the other leading to the front of the J cabin. Boarding commenced with groups 1 and 5 called at the same time, followed by groups 2/3 and 4 being called. I guess BA presume that all group 1s fly in J so they'll not be bothered by other groups who would pass through to the back of the plane. Meantime, I'm at the back of group 1 and by the time I get to my seat in the WTP section, there's at the scrum forming from all the groups who arrived at the same time, which was not helped by the BA app showing the WTP cabin as a 2-3-2 configuration when selecting seats which confused everyone including me who thought they had an aisle seat etc etc. I wonder if they've ever carried out a time/motion study on boarding processes.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I does make you wonder doesn’t it? 🙄

Glasgow LCY flights always board Groups 1,2&3 together and not in the order they’re meant to. I will never understand why they can’t just keep it simple and say what they’re meant to say and board Group 1 first, wait and then follow with Group 2 and so on and so forth. It is just not rocket science.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by highexpectations
I does make you wonder doesn’t it? 🙄

Glasgow LCY flights always board Groups 1,2&3 together and not in the order they’re meant to. I will never understand why they can’t just keep it simple and say what they’re meant to say and board Group 1 first, wait and then follow with Group 2 and so on and so forth. It is just not rocket science.
MAN is always like this as well. Groups 1-3 together every time. I tend to leave the lounge as soon as the gate is announced so that I can get to a reasonable point in the 1-3 line because they really don't manage hand baggage in MAN either. I can't for the life of me understand why they can't call Groups in order. Because there are so few real BA people in MAN now, I think that they have become collectively lazy and reinforce each others' behaviour.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
DUB - LCY was also groups 1-3 all at once. Makes the whole thing completely pointless. Before the changes to group boarding, DUB used to be very hot on only allowing priority boarding for Gold/CE.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
DUB - LCY was also groups 1-3 all at once. Makes the whole thing completely pointless. Before the changes to group boarding, DUB used to be very hot on only allowing priority boarding for Gold/CE.
There is at least some logic calling 1-3 together. Calling 1 & 5, even when using 2 doors, does not make sense and did not work well in my experience.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
After new year have a very slick experience at GLA where they were departing flights in very quick succession. 30 mins between

Gates 21 & 22

They had one set of lanes all set up with seating at the head of each queue Group 1, 2, 3, 4&5 together.
They then loaded the first flight to gate 21 closed front of the queues to allow the lanes to load again from the next flight and then relaunched the next set of flights to gate 22 out the the same lanes.
All very organised and smooth and comfortable.
In what is quite a restricted space.

Well done GLA
rossmacd and argonath like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Been very pleased with the group boarding implementation as a whole but for GVA>LCY last Tuesday it was a mess.
Group 1/2/3 called altogether initially and we all boarded.... a bus.
Then all other groups started to board the same bus and so predictably, by the time we got to the aircraft it was a Ryanair style free for all queue to and up the stairs...
Group boarding was in effect nullified..
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Don't see the problem with calling short haul 1-3 together. If you are in the first half to board you're pretty much guaranteed overhead space for your bag. What other benefit is there in being on board early? More time in a cramped seat in a metal tube?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Kruisler
Been very pleased with the group boarding implementation as a whole but for GVA>LCY last Tuesday it was a mess.
Group 1/2/3 called altogether initially and we all boarded.... a bus.
Then all other groups started to board the same bus and so predictably, by the time we got to the aircraft it was a Ryanair style free for all queue to and up the stairs...
Group boarding was in effect nullified..
Is always the issue with LCY from GVA as this is always a bus gate for BA.
The solution is if they use the EasyJet solution where they effectively run a one way flow through the bus, on at the back off at the front so first on move to the front and you will be first off. With EZY at GVA they even tensa off a bit of the bus as "Speedy Boarding"
Swiss have the same issue with its NCE flights from GVA as they are the only fights to go from the French sector, so bus.

No easy way round this other than airline has to dictate standard to local agent/handler and ensure that request is followed.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
At ZRH last night, they actually called Group 1 from the Group 1-3 queue and boarded them first.
Just did the same for my LAX flight from LHR.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by xenole
At ZRH last night, they actually called Group 1 from the Group 1-3 queue and boarded them first.
That is the norm for ZRH, particularly if Alessandro is running boarding.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
That is the norm for ZRH, particularly if Alessandro is running boarding.
3 women last night so I'm assuming Alessandro wasn't one of them as it seems to be a male name? Then again, lots of Italians have female names, at least to us Brits.

One of them did want to check my rollerboard case in though as the flight was "extremely full". Think she assumed I was status less back in ET as I wasn't suited and booted like quite a few around me (she then asked the next passenger if they were in business).
Still got to board in Group 1 and sit myself down in 1a with plenty of room for my case above my head.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Is always the issue with LCY from GVA as this is always a bus gate for BA.
The solution is if they use the EasyJet solution where they effectively run a one way flow through the bus, on at the back off at the front so first on move to the front and you will be first off. With EZY at GVA they even tensa off a bit of the bus as "Speedy Boarding"
Swiss have the same issue with its NCE flights from GVA as they are the only fights to go from the French sector, so bus.

No easy way round this other than airline has to dictate standard to local agent/handler and ensure that request is followed.
I think EasyJet are a bit more incentivised to make sure that speedy boarding actually works, because people will just demand their money back if it doesn't - I've certainly managed to get it refunded in the past when bus boarding was a free-for-all. BA has no such incentive as effectively no-one has handed over money to specifically board first.

Last edited by cosmo74; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:16 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.