Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Off-topic but what is the etiquette with slow walkers for a long gate such as B48? I didn't overtake the couple in front of me, despite a wayward snail outpacing us quite handily.
Make sure that there is a sufficient speed difference and no oncoming traffic...
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
BA1486 LHR-GLA 28/03
In group 1, turned up after boarding had started. The lane was empty as they were processing G2 and just announced G3 as I arrived. Strolled into the G1 lane, scanned myself on the automated gates and straight through. Not challenged by any gate staff as to whether I had a right to be there. Much more civilized than my previous experience. Not sure if the gate was programmed to only allow the right group through?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Not sure if the gate was programmed to only allow the right group through?
They are not, at least not as of last weekend anyway. I can confirm this as we were doing the same route last weekend - travelling in group 1 with another couple who were group 5.

Checked with the gate agent that they would allow us to board as a single group per the guidance (reply: "yes, absolutely no problem") and the biometric gates let them sail through
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
And I thought ZRH was always so organised... another swiss myth busted.
GVA exactly the same. What is the point of boarding Groups 1-3 together? I really don't see the point since it tends to include the majority of passengers. A few days ago at GVA, I was in the huge 1-3 queue when they opened 4-5, so I changed lines and got on earlier!! BRU last week was even worse since there is no room at the gate for a large queue. T5 seems to work but forget it in most other airports!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
LGW to GLA Gate 12
Priority line to get into the waiting lounge. Then gate agent approached the boarding door saying "if you are not group 1 or 2 please sit down". Nobody took any notice. He opened the door to the jetway and announced Boarding Group 1 and Group 2 only. He then legged it before he got tangled up with the immediate surge of all waiting pax. Absolutely no check of group numbers. No sign of any pax hanging back to let groups 1 and 2 board - just a general free for all.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Boarding to MIA last week wasn’t great. I think they had merged groups from memory. Trying not to be too judgemental as the plane was downsized from an A380 to a 747.

The problem with this system for me has been that when arriving later from the lounge, the merged groups mean it isn’t as convenient as having the old fast track lane open. It’s busy and looks a right mess.

Will see how it is on Sunday.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by GLAFlyer
LGW to GLA Gate 12
Priority line to get into the waiting lounge. Then gate agent approached the boarding door saying "if you are not group 1 or 2 please sit down". Nobody took any notice. He opened the door to the jetway and announced Boarding Group 1 and Group 2 only. He then legged it before he got tangled up with the immediate surge of all waiting pax. Absolutely no check of group numbers. No sign of any pax hanging back to let groups 1 and 2 board - just a general free for all.
Not too difficult to see the fundamental ongoing problem with this sort of strategy, as deployed by the gate agent.

Next time the same pax hear anyone state ‘please sit down’ prior to boarding ...... they obviously will take no more notice than described above - simply because, clearly, the agent doesn’t actually mean it ........

Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I unfortunately added to a breakdown in process at EDI Gate 10 yesterday .

The Tannoy is very tinny, and I have a hearing challenge although I'm not sure others could hear it very well either. Whilst waiting at back of G 1/2/3 (on rear path past gates) line I could hear an announcement that I thought was first one, but could have been later. Seeing perfectly able travellers approaching gate from nearby seating I assumed it was a G1 announcement and passed by the queue to find myself on jet bridge behind a set of G5 passengers (from glancing at BP). Turns out the 6-8 pax ahead were all accompanying the 8-10yo in their group.

Got seated easily of course, but a but wish the announcement was clearer and perhaps clarification on how many pax an adolescent need in their comfort group. Enforcement to turn me back would have been fine presumably wouldn't have changed much.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:39 am

YYC is set up with the new signage and lanes, but the Group 1 signage is combined with Group 2, and boarding for both groups is announced at the same time. No F on the route, but the aircraft is often up-gauged to a 789, so the combined announcement mean that Golds/Emeralds board at the same time as up to 50 Club passengers, plus Silvers/Sapphires in PE/E.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
We have experienced 8 flights within the past month, all with varying degrees of success, or otherwise, at group boarding. Even as Group 1 we have not had much success at being able to board amongst the first surge, mainly due to unclear announcements or no policing at the entrance to the jetbridge.
We have now given up our previous strategy of travelling with hand baggage only (we travel light anyway) and now check in our small, cabin-sized rollaboards as we prefer the moments of nervous tension at the baggage carousel, waiting to see if our bags have made it intact with us, to the stress of being crushed in the scrum to board and secure some overhead locker space.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by TangoIndiaMike
For what it's worth,

Being Edinburgh based and frequenting LHR with transit connections means enduring the boarding process at least twice on any given journey. I have experienced group boarding at , Edi, Lhr, Ath and all went smoothly. Experienced Ath late January and again this afternoon. The gate area there permits clear lines for Groups 1&2 / 3-5 with barriers along the length of the line of sufficient length for the usual number who wish to hover near the gate rather than remain seated.
T 5 A on the other hand lacks the space for such organisation and is generally chaotic by comparison. That said I do believe it works better simply by having group numbers. Previously gate announcements listing the range of qualifiers to board by ticket type or BA status or One World status or any other seemed beyond the attention span of many. How oftentimes have you overheard " What was that? Was that us? Dunno, let's just go up anyway"...

Like I said Fwiw.
T5 yesterday to ABZ, lines clearly staked out as 1, 2/3, 4/5. People being bribed to put their luggage in the hold
with a promise of being the first to board, then group 1 called. Completely different to LGW earlier this month when groups 1/2 called,
but nobody checking the tickets, so anyone could have boarded with these groups.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
LHR - MAD from C gates today: arrived just after boarding commenced and heard the correct announcement for group 1 boarding, the gate agents then immediately began boarding groups 1 and 3 (from the separate lanes) at the same time. There were a few confused people in the group 2 line who were not allowed to board - seemed to be a case of the two gate agents in front of the group 1 line enforcing policy correctly but the gate agent in front of group 3 line inviting those passengers to board straight away. Very odd.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bit of a shambles last Thursday night too (BA522 LHR-MAD from C56). An IB-operated service (on the A340, very nice in Business, when we eventually got on )

We arrived just as the queues started to form so were at front of the Group 1 lane.

Rather chaotic scenes when announcement was made that Iberia were insisting ALL hand baggage would be gate-checked ... to loud moans and groans from all around, at which point the GA tried again "hand luggage for all Group 4 & 5 passengers must go in the hold" at which a vast number of people surged forward to volunteer their bags...

Then it transpired there had been an aircraft swap and a consequent randomisation of seat allocations Cue further wailing and gnashing of teeth and a good deal of flapping by the gate staff.

THEN we were told the airbridge had broken so it was to be a genuine Ryanair experience ... in the rain

We had spent a couple of hours in the CCR so were more amused than anything... in the end, we were probably about the 30th or so to board (from being first in the G1 queue mind) and barely got wet...

All in all a very sub par boarding experience, though in fairness most of the problems were down to HAL and /or IB !!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=Jeff_;29587705]Last week from SIN, First class was called before group 1.

Deleted - posted in wrong place

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.