Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
BA IAH Group Boarding

IAH is now on-board, as it were, with group boarding. Executed very well, with a call in the F and J lounges which saw everyone proceed to their relevant queue. People were sent back who were not entitled to board and they were very clear about how this was a new system and that each person needed to look on their boarding card for their correct group. However- everyone needed paper boarding cards (as the app was not updated to include group numbers).

PETER01 and WorldLux like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
No group boarding at HEL GATE 50E for flight BA0799 tonight. I was sitting at the gate when boarding was announced. As there was a big line already at the gate, when gold, silvers...blah blah was announced. I just got up and went straight to the front. From the mobile boarding passes I could see, just a long line of silvers and J’s!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by PETER01
From what I have seen that seems to be what's happening here and there and ushering people back from the actual entrances would have a good effect.
I'm seeing a bit of inconsistency about closing off the lanes, although that could be down to the gate layout, number of lanes etc. e.g. recently:

EDI, they had 2 lanes at Gate 11 for 1/2/3 and 4/5 and these were roped off at the entrance, which allowed them to call Group 1 only with no issues, although did cause a bit of milling about.

LHR, they had 3 lanes at Gate A8 for 1, 2/3 and 4/5 (actually same gate/day as Telecasterman photo earlier in thread) and they were actively calling for people to queue into the lanes.

Now, on one hand I can see there is sense behind this. Where you have a dedicated Group 1 lane, you can ask them to queue (and precheck to enforce) with the knowledge that when they call Group 1, there won't be a bunch of people stuck behind Group 2 and 3 pax. Further to this, they were asking groups 2 and 3 to join their queue, but only group 4 (not 5) to join their queue. I don't know if they have access to relevant numbers at the gate which would indicate why 2 and 3 were being merged but 4/5 not.

On the other hand, I can see a bit of passenger confusion (and maybe frustration) at the inconsistency. E.g. a silver automatically joins a Group 1/2/3 lane because last time they were told to queue in the relevant lane, and ends up blocking Group 1 boarders?

Overall though I think it is working well at this very early stage and it's a culture change too. I have 8 BA flights next week so I'll add my tuppence worth here once they're all done.
Very much agreed. Haven't done a huge amount by FT standards - 8 segments - since it was brought in, and one was from an outstation yet to adopt it (YUL) but overall I think it is a most welcome change.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Would be good to have arrows added to most of the signs by default.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Finavia
No group boarding at HEL GATE 50E for flight BA0799 tonight. I was sitting at the gate when boarding was announced. As there was a big line already at the gate, when gold, silvers...blah blah was announced. I just got up and went straight to the front. From the mobile boarding passes I could see, just a long line of silvers and J’s!
Travelling Y and middle seat is empty at boarding so l guess at least theoretical seating is operational here, flight is 95%full. Let’s see if I get the gold greeting?

Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Experience from BA 961 MUC-LHR yesterday night: first time I've noticed "an attempt" at group boarding in Munich (I usually go there once a week). No lanes or any equipment to close off / open areas by the gate B 03), likely due to space constraints. Boarding was delayed due to snow so quite a large crowd was waiting in front and near the gate already. Announcement of group boarding by gate staff, quite a lot of people rushed forward when Group 1 was called. Grouping was enforced partially, i.e. they briefly looked at every 5th-10th persons BP. It felt like an unusually high number of Group 1 passengers just from glancing at boarding passes and the fact that there were 5/6 rows of CE on the plane but nevertheless it is good to see that they're trying to implement it in MUC as well...in previous weeks it simply was the old style CE/Gold/Silver/Bronze first and then everyone else
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes group number currently only reflect the individual's status and cabin with no reference to others on the same PNR. This will change at some point in the next few months. They will be able to board with you though, and the advice given by BA on travel support site states:

https://www.speedbirdclub.com/mediaL...-27Nov2017.pdf

​​​​​​
Not at LUX yet...

LHR -> LUX BA0416, call for CE/Gold/Emerald/Silver/Sapphire/Bronze/Ruby, which unsurprisingly was at least half of those waiting at the gate, then everyone else.

LUX -> LHR BA0419, two lines one for 1/2/3 and one for 4/5. 1/2/3 clearly called and boarding passes were carefully checked. Wrong 'uns were made to join the 4/5 queue, including my two colleagues who were 4. I said I understood that as we were all on the same booking they could board using my 2 and she said yes in theory but not at LUX yet because the computer boarding system couldn't handle it. Didn't really understand but didn't push it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:04 pm

CDG this evening. two queues marked out but no signs on them. Groups call separately but not clear where to go and what to do.

Overhead signs showed group numbers.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
BA 397 from Brussels today, Groups 1, 2 and 3 all called together - cue a surge of about 50 people.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
LGW-GLA. The set up is rather strange. ‘Priority’ is to get into the holding pen. Shortly before boarding a gate agent opened the doors and announced to those that could hear that there was a new system for boarding. She then walked away. This was followed by announcement that groups 1,2 and 3 could board. No~one checked BPs. Fortunately I was near the gate but I have no idea whether there was any control over the boarding. Looks like a fail.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve had a few experiences of the new system since it went live. LHR have been consistently good at only calling Group 1 first and policing it. All T5 if that makes a difference although I have a long haul T3 departure tomorrow which I can report back on.

Outstations more hit and miss. GLA appear to be calling 1,2 and 3 together (normally half the plane) so no real benefit of being in Group 1.

AMS was very good and only called G1 which they policed well.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Knickam
What i am wondering is because my QR issued boarding pass has no group number shown, Would this have caused problems if I had arrived earlier and tried to board when group 1 called?
Strangely, all my QR issued boarding passes for BA flights appear to have "Group 1" handwritten on them...
antichef and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
CPH last night. There's a 2-stage boarding process much like many gates at LGW; the first process is two lines where the BPs are checked, with the "old" style priority line and standard line, which then brings you into a boarding area with seating etc.

Then there's a set of tensabarriers with 2 lines - Group 1,2,3 and Group 4,5 - limited to 2 lines due to space constraints.

The boarding order was announced early and then we were called in order by Group - but there was no check at this stage as to individual Group eligibility. I'd give them an 8/10
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:12 am

If I had an airline ....

All boarding signs would be computer monitors and there would be two lanes, both showing a red cross until boarding commenced. They'd go:

X, X
Group 1, X
Group 1, Group 2
Groups 1&2, Group 3
Groups 1-3, Group 4
Groups 1-4, Group 5
Closed, Closed

And I'd hand out kettle crisps to people as they boarded, before asking for a government bailout then going bankrupt. But it'd be fun.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
BA 397 from Brussels today, Groups 1, 2 and 3 all called together - cue a surge of about 50 people.
Same thing this morning. They just separated 1,2,3 from 4,5...
Nimrod1965 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.