Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by florens
How can this take several months?
Welcome to aviation industry change control.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by florens
How can this take several months?
I can relate to your sense of bemusement.

I’ve attempted a response over on the Boarding [general discussion] thread. Make of it what you will !
florens likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA398 LHR-BRU 06/02
Gate C56
Separate lines for all 5 groups, but not obvious to people which side of the numbered barrier they should stand on unless they counted the lanes from Group 1. Consequently the masses all joined a long line for Group 4 and no passengers in Group 5 apparently. Announcements to remain seated until your Group number was called were ignored by the later groups who persisted with hovering around the barriers as though only the first half of them would be allowed onto the plane. Boarding by each group strictly enforced. Was in group 2 so didn't stick around to see what happened when they reached the horde in 4. Flight wasn't full so plenty of space for everyone onboard.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Do we have any clarity on the designation of Group 4 and Group 5 on shorthaul? I had a friend over the weekend on an ET Avios redemption (Blue member) as a Group 4. Would Group 5 need to be a non-BAEC member, or a Group ticket or something along those lines?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Do we have any clarity on the designation of Group 4 and Group 5 on shorthaul? I had a friend over the weekend on an ET Avios redemption (Blue member) as a Group 4. Would Group 5 need to be a non-BAEC member, or a Group ticket or something along those lines?
I think it's non status HBO (Basic) fares. It may be non status lower fare buckets (which in way would be fairer) but either way there could be perverse outcomes
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Do we have any clarity on the designation of Group 4 and Group 5 on shorthaul? ......................Would Group 5 need to be a non-BAEC member, or a Group ticket or something along those lines?
And perhaps we need a Group 6 ......? Into which are summarily despatched any recalcitrants who have difficulty with numbers and/or complying with official announcements.

Think of it as a “pour encourager les autres” type of sanction
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load

And perhaps we need a Group 6 ......? Into which are summarily despatched any recalcitrants who have difficulty with numbers and/or complying with official announcements.

Think of it as a “pour encourager les autres” type of sanction
Sadly, these are the kind of people it is impossible d'encourager...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jambon87
Again another full flight, announcements had been made offering pre boarding for passengers who wished to check their luggage. I was flying Club Europe and there were some disgruntled noises being made about not being able to board first from other Group 1 passengers.
I know it's completely a first world problem, but this irks me to no end. You're giving priority over your most loyal passengers (or those who have paid for a CE ticket) to people who likely are on HBO fares in order to get them to check their bags. It always seems to delay boarding and pushback
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by dcmike
I know it's completely a first world problem, but this irks me to no end. You're giving priority over your most loyal passengers (or those who have paid for a CE ticket) to people who likely are on HBO fares in order to get them to check their bags. It always seems to delay boarding and pushback
On the other hand, as they're being separated from their bags, the main reason for wanting to get on before them (overhead space) is removed from the equation. And if they're HBO and without status they're likely to be at the back so not getting in the way. So in practical terms it's not really a problem.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by dcmike
But the issue is the lack of overhead storage - particularly as the new fit NEO aircraft come on line with more seats but no more storage. If the interlopers are people boarding with no hand luggage they are not going to be a problem that requires the rest (with hand luggage) to be in a pecking order of Group 1, 2, 3 etc

Edit - beaten to it by a few seconds (bit like the hand luggage and locker space problem )
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
SNAP!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
SNAP!
LOL - fair enough
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it's non status HBO (Basic) fares. It may be non status lower fare buckets (which in way would be fairer) but either way there could be perverse outcomes
My daughter was in group 5 the other day and she is a blue member and on a HBO fare.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Heathrow, T5 on Sunday.
BA1468 to Inverness.

A very lightly loaded flight (30 pax?) and a reminder to pax to check their group number and listen for their group to be called.

All very dignified.

Heathrow Gate A2
PETER01 and megaloman like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The group boarding starts today at MIA. (added to the Wiki)

The nice lady at the BA check in desk pro-actively offered this information without me asking anything. She was clear about how it worked however as I am travelling with a Bronze (same PNR) and they are group 3 the check in agent said he will have to go to his own line in GP 3 as he can't come on with me. I believe this is wrong given post #300 .

I'll report back in the morning how it went.

Despite me trying to give her back a yellow bag tag back for my only luggage on board, a rucksack, she insisted I have to have it on my bag as it's cabin baggage, even though I am in exit row which she failed to understand. To keep the peace I attached it and later removed it as I can't obviously put it under the seat in front of me!

As I'm relatively unfamiliar with MIA I also asked her for directions to the AA Flagship Lounge in Concourse D and she insisted I can't use that lounge and must use the Premium Lounge in E, but D and E are connected. I am now in the Flagship lounge at D30, 2nd visit here in the last few days and as I type is just a 3-4 minute walk from E security and accessible.

No queue at all in MIA at security (E), friendly TSA agents, and the fast track sign was there with Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby info, was closed as there was literally no one there although I suspect it may be open now given I was at MIA 3.5 hours before my flight back to Heathrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.