Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
BA710 (LHR-ZRH) this morning.

First flight out on a Monday morning, didn't seem to be an empty seat in the house. Not sure what I expected, but not a single mention of groups nor any signs to suggest so.
'Priority' consisted of bronze/silver/gold all being called at once which given the route would be 95% of the flight.

If there was an official launch date for this, can't say it's working.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
LHR-EDI on Friday, boarding group 1. Walked over from Galleries south and boarded straight away, was very seamless.

EDI-LHR on Sunday, fine but a bit less organised. They called up boarding group 4 first and then penned them into a queue. When boarding commenced they called group 1, though half of the priority queue wasn't group 1 so were just standing around. More than a whiff of the usual Ryanair stand-fest, but I'd imagine the outstations will take a while longer to get used to it than the mothership.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Experience of boarding for BA722 1400 to GVA

Gate set up with 3 lanes and signs. Announcements made to say that they will be boarding by group and to stay seated until called.

1325 group 1 invited to board.
1328 group 2 using dedicated group 2/3 lane.
1330 group 3 boarding and group 4 told to enter the 4-5 line. They are prioritising people coming through lane 1 then 2-3 then when none in those lines, dealing with 4s.
1332 group 5 or anyone without a number and prioritising as above but now no differentiation between 2 or 3 or 4 and 5 once they have entered their correct lane.
Didn't see anyone turned back but not very busy flight and no one too stressed or rushed.
1338 last pax arrives, flight closed 91 on board!

2 staffers watching from the side and commenting, not close enough to hear their thoughts. I am not actually on this flight so this is a thank you to FT for all the kindness of people on here!
Might go and check out 1425 ABZ flight too!

Last edited by yellow_peril; Jan 15, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:39 am

That looks like a pretty good arrangement. Pleased they are creating lanes like that.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Data point: no group indicated on my BP (either paper or app) for my flight to LHR today. Not sure if it is still an issue of some outstations not due to implement this yet.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum

BA1312 1425 to ABZ
A little more confusion on this one, some people entering lanes before opening and then being spoken to and first couple were sent back (possibly as group 4 or 5) but group now in 2/3 line staying there. This will make it hard to differentiate between 2s and 3s once boarding started so I think they would do better if lanes roped off until boarding starts.
orbitmic and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Data point: no group indicated on my BP (either paper or app) for my flight to LHR today. Not sure if it is still an issue of some outstations not due to implement this yet.
May I offer you a pen?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by yellow_peril

BA1312 1425 to ABZ
A little more confusion on this one, some people entering lanes before opening and then being spoken to and first couple were sent back (possibly as group 4 or 5) but group now in 2/3 line staying there. This will make it hard to differentiate between 2s and 3s once boarding started so I think they would do better if lanes roped off until boarding starts.
Looking at that photo.. where would be without mobile phones..
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
May I offer you a pen?
It depends on what I am allowed to write with it!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
CPT had a board that actually blocked the entrance to the lane for the old-style Priority boarding. Rather than a label on a stick, perhaps the Tensa barriers need to be closed off as well? I know, more work for the Ground staff, but until people get used to it [as they do in the USA] it might help.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

Gate set up with 3 lanes and signs. Announcements made to say that they will be boarding by group and to stay seated until called.

1330 group 3 boarding and group 4 told to enter the 4-5 line. They are prioritising people coming through lane 1 then 2-3 then when none in those lines, dealing with 4s.
1332 group 5 or anyone without a number and prioritising as above but now no differentiation between 2 or 3 or 4 and 5 once they have entered their correct lane.
Didn't see anyone turned back but not very busy flight and no one too stressed or rushed.

2 staffers watching from the side and commenting, not close enough to hear their thoughts. I am not actually on this flight so this is a thank you to FT for all the kindness of people on here!
This actually sounds much better than I expected. In particular having group 1 dedicated throughout addresses one of my biggest complaints about the BA boarding process.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Rather disappointed today that the 8.35 GVA flight left from A10, so no group boarding at all. More people in the priority line than the general baording line (not surprising) and all the signage is still the original at the A10 Gates.
Ah well, will see what happens on the return tomorrow!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

Very detailed reporting, I see you were very busy before I got to the airport...
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA silver, LH nobody
BA1441 EDI-LHR, departing from gate 11, 16 January
This was set up with two queing channels, one for groups 1,2, and 3, the other for groups 4 and 5. When I arrived from the lounge, the priority channel was already full and overflowing into a general milling in the terminal area.

Something was said by the gate staff that was not audible, at which point the priority queue began to move. This was then followed by a tannoy announcement for group 1 to board; while that was in progress a further announcement was made for families and young children; there was then an announcement inviting group 2 to board by the "general boarding lane" (which I assume was a slip of the tongue). I think the same was then said for group 3 while I was on the jetbridge.

The process was being enforced and followed, as witnessed by about half a dozen folk lingering before the scanner who had either been refused or were having to wait. Overall, I found it a marked improvement, though it was a bit clumsy having to wend one's way around people in a "lower" ("higher"?) group who are actually ahead in the "queue" … how does one know if the person in front is just not allowed to board yet, is allowed but just hunting for the mobile BP on their 'phone, etc etc.?

So particularly on status-heavier flights than this one, I can see the merging of multiple groups into a single tensa-channel being problematic. Surely it is the nature of things that group 3, not having lounge access, will be at the gate earlier than 2 (or 1), and thus end up in front of the latter in the channel. Similarly, if groups 4 and 5 are merged into one lane, would it be that unreasonable for people to think that the sign saying groups '4 & 5' means both groups should queue there together to board? Granted, the 1/2/3 channel was wider today than, certainly, the current priority channels at T5, so there is a bit more room to get to the front without being overly DYKWIA … whether it will be enough on busier flights, I am not sure.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Couple of experiences from me. Firstly, BA1334 from LHR to NCL on 9th January: we got to the gate after boarding had started so no idea what, if any, announcements were made. However, there was an agent next to the Priority line checking BPs so I assume it was to enforce the appropriate group. No issues at all with the e-gates, so very happy with that.

Secondly, yesterday's BA275 from LHR to LAS from T3 gate 40: an utter shambles would be putting it mildly. Absolutely no announcements over the PA about boarding other than it was delayed due to the aircraft being late on its inbound flight, and that all passengers should take a seat until boarding commenced. Lots of shuffling of tensa barriers. The single agent manning the barriers announced in a very soft voice that boarding would be "First and Gold" then "Silver and Club" and then he turned away so I couldn't hear anything else. If I was honest, it seemed as if none of the staff at the gate had ever boarded a wide body aircraft before. When I spoke to a Customer Services Manager immediately after having my boarding pass scanned I told her it was a shambles and she seemed utterly disbelieving and blamed the passengers for not having sat down when told. When I told her that they could take a leaf out of AA's book in terms of enforcing boarding priorities she told me that they had introduced group boarding and then immediately back-tracked to say they were going to do it soon.

Fortunately the crew on the flight were absolutely top notch and after a couple of glasses of champagne I felt much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.