Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Gate B35. No visual signs of group boarding - still the old signage listing boarding order as First, Club World, etc.
As mentioned in wiki and in the other thread, Group Boarding is not in place for T5B yet.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by boutela

Same flight this morning; same bus gate, but group boarding onto the bus. For what it’s worth.

Also so can I put in a plea re my pet peeve here: please take your backpacks off in the bus. There’s more vertical space than horizontal.
Here, Here, that's my pet hate too being barged by backpacks on public transport and elsewhere.
John
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
No group is shown on my BP for BSL-LHR tomorrow.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
From my Dad:

LHR-NCE yesterday, and Group Boarding was enforced with six people turned away from Group 1 boarding.

I don't know what groups they were sent to, but one of them had a long chat with the cabin crew upon boarding.

M
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I don't know what groups they were sent to, but one of them had a long chat with the cabin crew upon boarding.
"I'm number one! I have always been number one!!!!" ?
msm2000uk and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
Positive Experience

Just had my first experience of the new system boarding at T5A, and shockingly it worked very well. Process was clearly explained and then properly enforced. Only complaint was total lack of DYKWIA entertainment

Despite boarding through a small A gate they had found space for a third line, so there were separate lines for group 1, groups 2-3, and groups 4-5. This circumvents a key problem with the ‘old’ system, which was that no-one knew who in the priority queue was club/gold/silver/bronze. Thus people either rudely barged past people they should have stayed behind, or over-politely stayed behind people they could have legitimately overtaken. Now however you know that you cannot overtake people in your queue (if you’re in group 1, which is most DYKWIA-prone)

None of this however solved the problem of half of the flight being group 1...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
BA1479 18/01/18 GLA-LHR.

Arriving at the gate, there were some people already occupying the priority queue which had Group 1,2&3 on a card at the front of the queue. Clearly many of the people in the queue were not all Group 1 or 2 for that matter. I had a feeling they were going to announce all three groups together but in fact they called forward group 1 only. This of course meant there were many who were not eligible to board but standing in the way. They did move aside though and allowed those in group 1 through. To me it would have made far more sense to have either different lanes or if that is not possible then cordon off the priority queue and actively manage the order of people who are entering the queue (something they did last week), but not this week.
outandaroundabout likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Alate
This circumvents a key problem with the ‘old’ system, which was that no-one knew who in the priority queue was club/gold/silver/bronze. Thus people either rudely barged past people they should have stayed behind, or over-politely stayed behind people they could have legitimately overtaken.
and this was the issue on my flight this morning from GLA. Because the Group 1,2&3 lane was open for people to enter, it meant that when they did board Group 1, I had several eager and rather obnoxious Group 1 passengers trying to barge past me, despite my gold card clearly on the top of my bag (and therefore eligible for group 1 boarding).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
LHR-ARN in Y. Me (Gold) Group 1 and partner (Bronze) on same ticket Group 3.
As it happens we didnT get to the gate until they were calling group 4 and we both went through the Group 2/3 line but I seriously would have expected the same group for both in this scenario.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury
LHR-ARN in Y. Me (Gold) Group 1 and partner (Bronze) on same ticket Group 3.
As it happens we didnT get to the gate until they were calling group 4 and we both went through the Group 2/3 line but I seriously would have expected the same group for both in this scenario.
There would be nothing stopping you joining group 3 in this scenario
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Got group 1 for my MAN-LHR and LHR-GOT flights but nothing for GOT-LHR. They usually just do the two calls anyway as far as I'm aware.

US flight out if 5C on Friday so that will be the usual free for all.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA
BA1477 GLA to LHR was excellent this morning. It was at gate 23, so one side of the gate was for Group 1 (perhaps 2 too, I'm not sure) and the other side was for 3/4/5. Group 1 was called and it seemed to be enforced quite well.

I'm glad people are getting used to the new process, I didn't see a single person queueing early!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
LHR-BWI yesterday - ready for me to try out my Group 1.... went really smoothly and went straight through - not least because when I got to the gate there was not a passenger in sight!

Okay, admittedly the screens said 'flight closed'. Left the F'lounge 45 mins before the departure time (just as the screen changed to 'board now') and 10 mins to B48. Boarding pass said 'Board at 14:15' for a 15:15 flight - an hour to board a flight at a gate? really?

Last edited by CKBA; Jan 19, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
MAN-LHR. 2 groups, 1 and 2, 3-5. Call that priority was boarding made in the lounge and only a few people in front of me when I went down.
​​​​Went fairly well although at gate 141 so tight and having to work around people, then do the scan / photo check and then scan your BP again.
Arrived early though to the 567 bus gate.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
No group boarding at FRA this morning for the flight to LCY

Took the LHR-LBA flight this evening. Group number showed on boarding pass. I reached the gate when boarding was underway so just went through the Group 1 lane and used the e-gates. Not sure if any pax were sent away or so....but really pleased with the boarding process today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.