Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I really don’t know why they bother. Boarding at LHR a few moments ago - gate agent announced group 1 boarding now, while the second agent opens the flood gates for all groups to use the eGates at once.

Guess thier incentive is to board everyone ASAP and never mind the procedures.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
I really don’t know why they bother. Boarding at LHR a few moments ago - gate agent announced group 1 boarding now, while the second agent opens the flood gates for all groups to use the eGates at once.

Yes probably. Had a flight from LHR a few days ago, where the agents processed Group 1 and Group 4-5 boarding at the same time, leaving Group 2-3 the latest to board. Very weirded.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO

Yes probably. Had a flight from LHR a few days ago, where the agents processed Group 1 and Group 4-5 boarding at the same time, leaving Group 2-3 the latest to board. Very weirded.
Weird indeed ..... haven’t witnessed that one before

Whichever manager at Waterside HQ proposed the (perfectly sensible) plan to implement Group Boarding would have done so with high hopes of bringing a long-awaited efficiency - and simplicity - to what had become a frustratingly inconsistent procedure.

Clearly, this did not happen and the inconsistency remains ; perhaps more so than ever.

But that manager can take just a little solace from the fact that ground staff, both at LHR and around the network, now have the opportunity to show personal initiative and imagination by applying their own individual interpretation of boarding by numbers.

Old May 27, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
LCY-GLA 25 May, Gate 3
My first time out of LCY so wasn't sure what to expect. GA announced groups 1 to 3 so most people stood up. They then said only group 1 could move forward so it was an annoying case of having to elbow your way past group 2 and 3 passengers. Doors closed on time, sat around for ages waiting for not a lot. Even the pilot on arrival wasn't sure what the hold up was.

GLA-LCY 27 May, Gate 23
No group lanes just priority to the right and standard to the left. Announced group boarding, asking people to check their tickets. Group 1 only called. Group 2 was called just as I was walking down the jetty.
EDIT: Flight only had 46 pax on board - could have done us all together

Last edited by fluffymitten; May 27, 2018 at 10:32 am Reason: post-flight update
Old May 27, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Last week at BRU heading LHR no orderly line was formed before boarding. Once commenced, groups 1-3 were called altogether. Pretty underwhelming experience.
Cris L likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Worked reasonably well yersterday at A11 from LHR-OTP.

(Some passengers from Groups 4/5 boarded early as they allowed their hand baggage to be loaded...or not, as the case may be. I was at the back of the Group 1 queue so did not see what happened

At OTP, the Priority line sign says Groups 1 -3, so no distinction within these Groups.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jwhite9185

See this used to happen to me but on the Belfast flight an agent stopped Group 2 boarding.

I don't think any company would incentivise not following procedures.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I don't understand why BA can't have a seperate Group 1 in every location. Having Groups 1-3 completely defeats the purpose
Old May 27, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
LGW to Verona on Friday. No boarding gate signs at gate 28. Staff announced it was a full flight so they would be boarding strictly by Group number - promptly followed by a call for Groups 1 & 2 together. No idea what happened after that, but another example of how pointless it seems to be to have 5 groups. At least everyone who gate checked their bags wasn't given priority for once.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Boarding by group still doesn’t work if the aircraft is parked at a remote stand, eg a bus journey. Farce at EDI this morning. Any decent airline would operate two buses, groups 1+2 on first bus etc.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Boarding by group still doesn’t work if the aircraft is parked at a remote stand, eg a bus journey. Farce at EDI this morning. Any decent airline would operate two buses, groups 1+2 on first bus etc.
Or as EasyJet manages at Geneva, they have a one way system on the bus, you load at the back on the right hand side of the bus and unload at the front on the left hand side. "Speedy Boarding" still get to board first.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:45 am

Similar poor experience at KRK BA923 2018-05-28. Boarding order controlled entering the bus, but last passengers on were the first to leave.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by fluffymitten

GLA-LCY 27 May, Gate 23
No group lanes just priority to the right and standard to the left. Announced group boarding, asking people to check their tickets. Group 1 only called. Group 2 was called just as I was walking down the jetty.
EDIT: Flight only had 46 pax on board - could have done us all together
This is another example of inconsistency at the same airport .As note above Gate 19 is perfectly set up with individual lanes for groups 1, 2 and 3. I think 4&5 are grouped together. Last night I flew GLA-LCY from Gate 17 where groups 1-3 were group together and then 4&5. Groups 1, 2 and 3 were called at the same time.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:29 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by tuff
This is another example of inconsistency at the same airport .As note above Gate 19 is perfectly set up with individual lanes for groups 1, 2 and 3. I think 4&5 are grouped together. Last night I flew GLA-LCY from Gate 17 where groups 1-3 were group together and then 4&5. Groups 1, 2 and 3 were called at the same time.
Last Tuesday morning GLA-LCY Boarding at gate 17. Can’t remember exactly what the sign said but gate agent explained the boarding procedure by groups, that it was a full flight (97 pax out of 98 seats and I had the only spare seat next to me) and anyone wanting to gate check hand luggage. Boarding was called for group 1 only. After that I don’t know as I was first on but boarding eventually completed early resulting in an early departure and even better early arrival into LCY.

S
Old May 29, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
LGW-NAP

Gate 13, which is a cattle pen with group lanes to enter the pen which is fairly pointless. Boarding announcement specified boarding by group number but no one was checking BPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.