Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 18, 3:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...iscussion.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 25, 18, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Seemed fine to and from MAN the other day.

Joined the back of the queue at MAN, that was back into the main atrium? seating area, and went to the front when group 1 was called. Few gate lice but walked around them.

LHR, gate 19, had a few people queuing for group 2 etc. next to the e-gates, but they didn't move when group 1 was called so just followed the empty signed lane.
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by hedgehopper View Post
so hubby says "bye-bye" to me as he's group 1 and me 3...I say "but it says 1-2-3!" and sure enough I am allowed to board with no delay...
You are entitled to board with your partner. There was some talk about an IT enhancement to address this but it hasn't materialised yet.
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:43 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
On a day trip GLA-LHR on 24th the system worked well - the line for groups 1 and 2 was short and when group 1 was called the group 2 people stood back. This is a huge improvement on the previous system. I strolled up as boarding was announced and went straight through. The first real enhancement I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by malcolmcampbell; Apr 25, 18 at 8:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:55 am

Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
HEL on Monday called 1,2 and 3 together. Worst execution I have seen since the group boarding came into play (although not as bad as some I have read here).

Interestingly some passengers were sneaking a glimpse of others' BPs and trying to put themselves into a kind of 1, 2, 3 order, everyone waiting for a mum with baby to go first, so there was some self-regulation!
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell View Post
... the line for groups 1 and 2 was shot and when group 1 was called the group 2 people stood back....
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
HEL on Monday called 1,2 and 3 together. Worst execution I have seen...
There's a theme here (my bold) and not sure I like the sound of it...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post

You are entitled to board with your partner. There was some talk about an IT enhancement to address this but it hasn't materialised yet.
As it happens we were on seperate tickets as well though same surname - he in CE (TP run to retain silver - yes I know...), me bronze in ET. Interesting to see if anything IT or official happens or if it will be at the gate agents’ discretion. I sometimes tag along on work trips - even flights when we’ve sat together I’ve waited until my group was called so don’t know what would’ve happened if I went up with the 2s and next time I might try it! Common sense would say let A and B board together so C doesn’t have to get up out of the seat when B turns up 30 seconds later...
Old Apr 25, 18, 6:52 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold
Have had it work well at T5-style gates but poorly at Gatwick and on remote stands. She are obviously oblivious even when it is announced clearly or are just trying it on. At some old-style gates at Gatwick and T3 you have to show your BP to ENTER the gate area - in those cases there was little or no control when it came to boarding as there was no check of BPs when leaving the gate area so it was a bit of a scrum. It will only ever work on remote stands if the bus goes once say Gp1 and 2 have got on - if they wait until the bus is full it all falls apart at the aircraft where we saw people running for the steps and one old lady even pushed past us on the steps.
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
oops - corrected - did mean short but maybe shot would serve the purpose
Old Apr 26, 18, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold
Ba1496 25/04 lhr-gla a6

Delayed due to weather and by no means full. No visible lice.

Clear lanes laid out for Group 1, 2 & 3, 4 & 5
Chap came around once and checked the G1 people were really G1 - didn't check the people who subsequently joined

GA made a very poor announcement along the lines of "sorry for the delay in boarding, we're just waiting for your aircraft" at which point one chap in the G1 queue went and sat down, possibly thinking (like me) that the aircraft wasn't even on stand yet. Fortunately, they were just finishing off the prep as a few minutes later boarding started. G1 called first and the auto gates were working! I was the 4th or 5th person to board so didn't see if there was a scrum behind me (not enough people for that, I suspect).
Old Apr 27, 18, 2:23 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I agree that they need to sort it out at Gatwick as it is currently a farce. Last night we flew LGW-GLA and they had a "fast track" queue to get into the cattle pen but after that it was a farce. They did put someone on the gate door to check group numbers but most people weren't holding their BPs so he could only check those who were. Many people without simply boarded in the scrum.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, BAEC Silver, TK Elite
FCO - LGW

A textbook boarding at FCO today.

There were no Group Boarding signs out and the airport signed Priority and Economy lanes were filling fast, but in broken English Group 1 was duly called forward, then after they had boarded, we in Group 2 were called after Group 1 had turned the corner. I overtook the sole bronze in the Lane who comprised Group 3, (bringing my Group 5 bf with me on the same PNR) and while I walked along the jetty I heard Group 3 and then Group 4 being called.

We then had to wait five minutes before being allowed on the plane but we did board the plane in order!

It was better than LGW - FCO where a few people gatecrashed Group 1 and were let on with a “board correctly next time” warning!
Old Apr 27, 18, 12:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA Gold
Working perfect at my home airport in GLA they have it sorted. I even seen a chancer get papped to the back of the queue giving it the "oh I didn't realise sorry but I'm here now" reply in the nicest cross BA/polite Glaswegian. Good for you back of the queue
47Aitken likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:53 pm

The BA1404 was a bit of a nightmare. Delayed flight but on arrival at A11 all the groups were nicely laid out and I dutifully joined the back of G1. They then announced boarding with no reference to groups and all of the groups immediately surged forward to the e gates. I got the 'seek assistance' due to emergency exit row seat, but by the time I got through the agent check-in I was pretty far down the boarding...! The agents said it was a full flight so maybe they're under pressure to board everyone as quickly as possible with no regard for priority?
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
LGW-BCN a few moments ago, from the satellite.

Group 1&2 called at the same time, and from what I could see not much enforcement going on.

Old Apr 28, 18, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BUD–LHR on BA869 on Thursday had three queues: Group 1 2 3, Group 4 and Group 5. Called the group 1, 2 and 3 passengers at the same time, making the group system a bit pointless. But apart from this, boarding was very disciplined.

BLL–LHR last weekend had Group 1 2 and Group 3 4 5 lanes. Boarded 1 and 2 together.

I find the inconsistency around the different remote airpots a bit strange…

Search this Thread