Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
PSA-LHR a total joke. two lines, 1-2-3 and 4-5. 1-2-3 called together so basically worse than before, when they used to call Club before status. now just a typically Italian clusterf%&@. One country in Europe guaranteed to take a process improvement and find a way to make it work less well than before.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
PSA-LHR a total joke. two lines, 1-2-3 and 4-5. 1-2-3 called together so basically worse than before, when they used to call Club before status. now just a typically Italian clusterf%&@. One country in Europe guaranteed to take a process improvement and find a way to make it work less well than before.
I trust you are unfamiliar with Warteschlangendisziplin then ?
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Fitch
I trust you are unfamiliar with Warteschlangendisziplin then ?
There's just about enough of the english in me to not do any long words and enough italian to not do any discipline, so I'd say that is an accurate statement
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
12 April, AMS: BA441 (A320), 2 scrums, huge crush, no order. Complete cluster. How much would it cost to buy queuing ropes like what Madrid has and get the boarding area organised better?
My score: 2 points out of 10
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airline brat
12 April, AMS: BA441 (A320), 2 scrums, huge crush, no order. Complete cluster. How much would it cost to buy queuing ropes like what Madrid has and get the boarding area organised better?
My score: 2 points out of 10
I feel your pain ! This was a regular route for me a couple of years ago and I soon learned to turn up early and be "that guy" at the head of the Priority lane... Not that it stopped people angling in from all sides once boarding started
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
15/04 LHR-LUX
boarded from 24b in T3. Gate agent announced that the first bus is for people with children or Group 1 only. The second bus is for all other groups. However everyone just stood up and squeezed on to the first bus.

To be fair, the poor gate agent had a rough time as there was a system error and all screens showed "Please wait" for the gate number. Only a few turned up ten minutes before departure and she couldn't get hold of the control centre. Eventually it did work and the rest of the passengers all turned up at once.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:46 am

12 April ARN-LHR

Two lines - 1/2/3 and 4/5. Definitely not better than before, quite a debacle. Only positive was that the fellow pax were generally quite nice.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Chaos last weekend at CDG. Even though the staff kept making announcement for only first group to come forward, people simply stood in the way and blocked other people from getting through. Some people actually queued in the Group 1-2-3 even though they were not part of that group, just stood there looking dumbfounded as to why they can't go through! Staff could do more in pushing away the non 1-3 Group from anywhere near the boarding area even before they make the boarding announcement.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
GVA's got it!!! After my lousy groups 1-2-3 boarding a couple of weeks ago (see above somewhere!), it is now group 1 then Group 2 then Group 3. Bravo, DNATA!!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
At LIN today the setup was Groups 1, 2 and 3 called together. Then 4 and 5.

The first bus left half empty, which makes me wonder whether it was only for people who had “priority boarding”.

Last edited by ringingup; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Pathetic attempt at PRG this evening for the LCY flight. No room at A9 for tensas of any sort. Correct call about boarding by groups, then skip straight to 1&2. 21 J pax, so a decent scrum anyway and they’re dawdling rather.

Then before the visible group of 1s & 2s has boarded we had 1-3 called, then 1-4 then a recorded “everybody go” before my companion and I had managed to board from the edge of the original 1&2 scrum!

Saw no one turned away, but most of the plane would have boarded after the white flag anyway.

That said, all aboard for a prompt takeoff at T+6m and not many issues moving wheelies around due to the reasonable size of the Embraer bins for rows of two. So all’s well that ends well...?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
FCO to LHR today and the group 1/ Priority line was held up by a passenger with an issue (Dont know what).
Agent was dealing with this customer whilst other agent proceeded to call group 2 then 3 then 4 without calling the group 1 line over to the second desk. pointless having a group 1 line.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
12 April ARN-LHR

Two lines - 1/2/3 and 4/5. Definitely not better than before, quite a debacle. Only positive was that the fellow pax were generally quite nice.
Despite the 2 lines, I found the process at ARN to be pretty efficient on Friday with group boarding clearly announced. There were quite a few in Group 1 on my flight but then I realised that there was a pretty full CE cabin - probably more than 40 pax in C.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Despite the 2 lines, I found the process at ARN to be pretty efficient on Friday with group boarding clearly announced. There were quite a few in Group 1 on my flight but then I realised that there was a pretty full CE cabin - probably more than 40 pax in C.
To be fair, they did call groups separately but it was a mess of people trying to figure out who in the queue actually was group 1 etc. A bit of a mess, I thought, as a smallish gate area and 767 with large CE cabin.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:08 am

A new take on Group Boarding at LAX last Tuesday evening. Group 1 called and waiting then four young guys just turn up - they weren't part of the queue - go straight to the gate and two of them get processed and go straight on the plane. The other two then just walked away. Group 1 still waiting there !!

I also thought it was very amusing that of the two who boarded, only one seemed able to manage the passports and BC's so whoever it was must have been REALLY important if they can't even be trusted to carry their own passport !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.