Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 18, 3:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...iscussion.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 21, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Husband and wife, same booking reference, travelling CW - she is gold, he is silver, she has got Group 1 and he has Group 2. I am presuming technically this is correct, but that we can board together in Group 1 at EDI and LHR
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj View Post
Husband and wife, same booking reference, travelling CW - she is gold, he is silver, she has got Group 1 and he has Group 2. I am presuming technically this is correct, but that we can board together in Group 1 at EDI and LHR
Yes, you can board together. It has been said that a fix will be introduced in the future to give the same group to everyone in the same booking. The higher (numerically lower) group number obviously.
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post

Yes, you can board together. It has been said that a fix will be introduced in the future to give the same group to everyone in the same booking. The higher (numerically lower) group number obviously.
thanks. I will post back how it goes
Old Mar 22, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
No attempt at group boarding in Oslo. Good scrummage techniques shown though
Old Mar 22, 18, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
No attempt at group boarding in Oslo. Good scrummage techniques shown though
Surely it is a ruck or a maul as scrummage is a set piece....

Old Mar 22, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I think the correct technical term is "boarding ŕ l'italienne"
bisonrav and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Mar 23, 18, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
CPH gate C27 - leave the lounge directly above when boarding begins and we ( group 2 & 3) have just about got scanned into the - tiny for a rammed full A321 - gate lounge when group 1 is called. Queue for the lounge snaking out into the concourse blocking the way for passers-by.

Lots of people standing up in between the seats but we find a way round to the front desk and the start of the 2&3 lane. No room for a 4&5 lane here!

It was not clear what was a queue (the queue for the queue were there even space for an orderly line) so we both just entered the lane when our group was called - having politely given way to the persons arriving at the entrance to the lane just slightly beforehand having themselves emerged from the throng...

A couple of “chancers” witnessed “attempting boarding before entitled” but least of your worries - could be better people/space management here as I’ve thought many times before...
Old Mar 23, 18, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying with brother, sis-in-law, three-year-old niece and family friend from LGW to VLC on Wednesday. I'm Gold, they're all Blue/not members of BAEC. What are my chances of getting us all through in group 1, do you think? Seems from what others have said that this should be ok, but I'm slightly concerned that the size of our group plus having a toddler in tow might scupper that...
Old Mar 23, 18, 11:50 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gazzam View Post
Flying with brother, sis-in-law, three-year-old niece and family friend from LGW to VLC on Wednesday. I'm Gold, they're all Blue/not members of BAEC. What are my chances of getting us all through in group 1, do you think? Seems from what others have said that this should be ok, but I'm slightly concerned that the size of our group plus having a toddler in tow might scupper that...
Nice conversation with Gate Agent, well before boarding starts:

"Good Morning! BA Gold can bring their entire party with them through group one. This morning we're a party of five. Is that the largest party you've had in group one before? I'm mainly curious."
Old Mar 23, 18, 1:23 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Complete shambles in Zurich. One lane for groups 1-3 and one for groups 4-5. Most people didn‘t know which lane is which and the airport staff managed to put the signs in the wrong lane so complete utter mess.
Old Mar 23, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Boarding at CDG this afternoon for my flight to LHR and noticed a clever scam to push to the front of the Group 4/5 queue. There were two places to queue: Groups 1/2/3 and Groups 4/5. Group 1 was called first, followed by Group 2 and then Group 3. Several Group 4/5 passengers decided to queue up at the Group 1/2/3 queue so were turned away during boarding and then decided to hog the front of the Group 4/5 queue. A couple of us in the Group 4/5 queue reminded them to get to the back of the queue but they said that the gate agents instructed them to wait at the front of the Group 4/5 queue. I'm going to try this too next time if the BA gate staff can't be bothered to make them queue at the back of the Group 4/5 queue.
Old Mar 23, 18, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Only one lane for Group 1/2/3 at ARN. Group 1 clearly announced first ('Group 1 only at this time - Group 1 only'), which led to some people leaving the single line and coming forward.
Old Mar 23, 18, 2:59 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rumbataz View Post
Several Group 4/5 passengers decided to queue up at the Group 1/2/3 queue so were turned away during boarding and then decided to hog the front of the Group 4/5 queue. A couple of us in the Group 4/5 queue reminded them to get to the back of the queue but they said that the gate agents instructed them to wait at the front of the Group 4/5 queue.
At yes, the common ploy of joining a queue at the front, rather than at the proper place (the back). Whenever I see someone join the queue at the front rather than the back, I try to improve the world by explaining to them how a queue works.

"Greetings! I see that you joined this queue, which is a normal thing to do. However you inserted yourself into the front (or middle, depending on the situation) of the queue, which is exactly the wrong place to add yourself to a queue. Whenever you join a queue, the way it works is that you insert yourself into to the queue at the FAR end ... which happens to be other THERE. Yes, it's a far distance, and it's understandable that you didn't see the correct place at first. But we've straightened out that issue now, correct? Well ... off with you. You need to get to the your proper place, at the end of the queue. Sooner is better than later. Adios Amigo!"

Improving the airport experience for the common good ... one jerk at a time.
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Domestic from LHR - Gate 11:

3 lanes, Gp1, 2&3, 4&5.

1 and 2 called at the same time which meant that due to the narrow lane in 1, and 2/3 too, meant the these groups really boarded together.

Unfortunately for the Gp1 lane the self scanner was playing up with most of the G1 BP's which meant 'switching over' to the G2/3 scanner which was the only other one at the gate. Flight was about 1/2 to 2/3rds full. There were only about 10 passengers in the G1 queue so why not just let them board first then move onto the 2nd lane for G2 and 3? After the tech issue one of the GA's started just manually boarding.
Old Mar 24, 18, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Complete shambles at T5 A13 last night. Less than 15 minutes before scheduled departure, with passengers getting increasingly restless, the agent made an announcement inviting passengers who wanted to check in their luggage to come forward and then, without dealing with the wheelies, beckoned Group 1 forward (no announcement). Group 1 passengers had to make their way through the wheelie crowd who, understandably, didn't know what was going on. Other passengers thought boarding had started and surged towards the gate, obscuring the Group signs. How can they get it so wrong?
florens likes this.

Search this Thread