Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC
LHR to BCN Last Friday: We were in group 4. BA staff had not removed the sign from AA separating the queue into groups 1-4 and 5-9, so most people were in a single long queue as they probably did not know much about BA groups and the fact that there are only 5 groups. So the staff had to be turning people away all the time (some of them complained about the signs saying groups 1-4 and 5-9). The staff boarded groups 1-3 together and then 4-5. This made me wonder why they don't just have 2 groups: priority and non priority, instead of 5, making things easier for everyone. Bad organisation from BA I'd say.

BCN to LHR last Sunday: We were in group 1. Staff at Barcelona did seem to be checking boarding passes and organising people into different queues before boarding, although I got the impression that there were only 3 queues (group 1, groups 2-3, and groups 4-5), but cannot confirm it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
MAN today, gate 142, slight free for all as late arrivals could note quite believe there would be a queue for those on the 1-3 group.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
LHR B gates early yesterday morning LHR-CPH. Very clear instructions - quite a big Group 1 contingent but with 7 rows of reasonably full CE, that's 25+, plus Goldies.

I was about tenth to board - a guy behind me got turned away as Group 4. Not sure if a language barrier or whether he was chancing it. Heard Group 2 being called when I got to the bottom of the escalator so it seemed like a textbook boarding this time around.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
T3 Gate 3

Day trip to LUX. Boarding came up on screen in CX lounge at 0720 so ambled to gate 3. Queue in corridor with no separate line for priority. Inside gate announcement for assistance although difficult to hear as speakers seem to be in roof. G1 announced but already a longish queue had formed. Joined as announcement for G1 and G2 made. No policing of BPs.

Not really any issues as far as I can see, simply an observation that the system is not implemented as it should be.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
LHR T5B

LHR-IAH on Feb 25. Gate agent with a tremendous speaking voice repeatedly announced that you should wait until your group is called, because if you queue up in advance, they need that space for other groups. I assume his efforts were successful, but how would I know? I was the first passenger in group 1.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Group boarding was enforced at LCY this morning. Very impressed to see someone from group 4 in front of me being sent back.

Off topic, I was chased down the stairs by the gate agent who seemed to have second thoughts about me flying to Dublin on a driving license. She was very friendly though!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Typical LGW this morning, BA2772 at Gate 10. Agent opens door to airbridge, retreats to her desk at the end of the holding area and starts to announce ... after 3 words, everyone just surged through the door and onto the aircraft.

Absolutely ZERO effort to control boarding, other than by remote announcement.
GlasgowCyclops likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
Typical LGW this morning, BA2772 at Gate 10. Agent opens door to airbridge, retreats to her desk at the end of the holding area and starts to announce ... after 3 words, everyone just surged through the door and onto the aircraft.

presumably as experienced JER travellers you were at the front of the surge with your elbows out shouting “let us Goldies through”
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Shocking. Why are they so reticent to be assertive with pax? It actually works!!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Physci

presumably as experienced JER travellers you were at the front of the surge with your elbows out shouting “let us Goldies through”
Cheeky, as usual!!

We had seated ourselves near the door, to avoid having to rudely push through the potential scrum. We were thus able to join the general charge in a reasonably 'early boarding' manner, and obtain overhead locker space above 1A/C

The lady in 1F was most seized by the need to board early. She hovered halfway through the doorway as soon as it was opened. Indeed, we half-expected her to make her own way on board without further ado.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 9, 2018 at 6:27 am Reason: oops, thanks to sunshinebob!!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
The lady in 1K was most seized by the need to board early.
This must be one of those 10 abreast planes I keep hearing about uncle T. Did not know they were on the Jersey run...
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:38 am

Yesterday at MRU (Mauritius) 2 lanes, Groups 1,2 & 3,and Groups 4,5, & 6. When the aircraft was ready for boarding both queues were allowed through at the same time - what's the point!
florens likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Not impressed!

I had experience of this 22 Feb LHR-GLA and 25 Feb GLA-LHR.

My ticket was in Group 1 for both legs.

On arrival at the LHR gate, it was impossible to tell which queue to join due to the number of people pre-queuing. Only possible to figure it out by walking to close to the front of the queue and then following it back to make sure you joined the right one.
GA called forward groups 1 and 2 to board trhough the e-gates. They then called forward goup 3 to go through the manned entry. The e-gates weren't working so they then had two people and three groups of passengers to manually scan. Except they didn't stop annoncing that groups 1 and 2 should be using the e-gates.
Flight took an age to board, and left about 20 minutes late.

Similar at GLA. Couldn't tell which queue I was supposed to be in due to signage being right by the gate door and the queue snaking quite far back. Some people let me slip in front of them as I was lost as to where I should be. They called forward group 1 and, by the time I got to the group 1 lane, they were calling the next group forward and I was tutted at for queue jumping.
Again, flight took ages to board and departed late.

My partner does GLA-LHR or GLA-LCY quite a bit and hates the new system. Hasn't had a punctual flight since the trial started.

I got a few feedback surveys from BA and made sure I commented on how I didn't feel the process led to an efficient way to load the aircraft. Too many people with decent status on commuter routes makes the groups pretty much pointless.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BA0197
IAH is now on-board, as it were, with group boarding. Executed very well [...]
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Group boarding IAH-LHR on Feb 8 seemed to go well.
Not quite as good when we departed last week, but it could have been a one-off.

We left the F lounge a few minutes after the flight was called and got to the gate to see other passengers from the lounge queuing. After a few minutes Group 1 was called then -- maybe 15 seconds later -- Group 2. Roughly 200 passengers felt this applied to them -- and on this route that's possible. After a while a more senior staff member arrived and was clearly not impressed with the way things were going. She started checking BPs for group numbers, but there wasn't really much else she could do by that point.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I had two flights last week, GLA-LCY and LHR-GLA. Group boarding was done well on both flights and departures were on time.

Roll on to today GLA to LHR, flew out of Gate 22. Left the lounge when the flight was called along with a bunch of other passengers. Met with a chaotic scene at the gate.

Everyone with status was in the same queue and apart from
a small number of group ones who must have been there from the start.
However no one could get though the mass of people.
Gate agent actually told two group 1s who left the lounge at the same time as me, they could not move forward into that group. It was as if they had missed their opportunity. I was in group 1 but had decided not to bother with getting further forward.

In my view, the issue started by not giving the lounge staff a few minutes heads up for boarding to allow Group 1 and 2 passengers to get to the gate before it started. Also that gate has room for two or three queues for priority boarding.

The attitude this morning to me felt that the gate agent was of the view that we don’t care about about the process or your group number.

Just boarded LHR to GLA at Gate A19. Set up was fine, loads of gate lice. Didn’t help the Gate agent called Groups 1-3 at the same time. Just encourages people not to follow the system. Flight was about 75% full.

It’s a good system but there is no excuse not to use it at all times.

Last edited by Samaras; Mar 14, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.