Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 18, 3:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...iscussion.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 19, 18, 11:00 am

LHR - TXL - LHR - No major issues except for the odd traveller who was turned back at TXL who decided to race to the front of the queue regardless of checking their group numbers when boarding was announced.
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Avis P+; Global Entry
FCo-LHR 557 yesterday, as the flight was delayed we were at the bus gate, so everyone was crammed onto the same bus
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Another small data point

LAX-LHR yesterday. Clear announcement what was going to happen, 2 lanes/signs, 1,2 and 3, 4 and 5 separate but no actual tensa barriers, not that it was needed as the gate is a large area anyhow, but then it was implemented as follows:

First (pause 30 seconds)
First and Gold (pause 30 seconds and a little surge)
Group 1 for about a minute then group 2 and 3 called almost together.
Old Feb 20, 18, 5:16 am

GVA-LHR on Sunday afternoon.

2 lanes ( I think "1/2/3" and "other"). Clear announcements which were followed, so everyone stayed seated, no gate lice. 1 & 2 called together, but since boarding started 45mins before takeoff, many people didn't seem even in the gate area yet despite a full flight so early stages of boarding very painless for an end-of-half-term ski flight.

Separately, I had a chat to the gate agent before boarding commenced to confirm if group boarding really did mean I could take my wife & kids with me on my Group 1 despite their Group 3 status. She told me a) yes this is fine (regular GVA flyers will be aware of the challenges), and b) there was a new manager at GVA who interprets the rules differently.

Fast track security still no guests at GVA tho'. Easy option in ski season is to fork out a fiver each for paid-for-priority.

Last edited by aardvarkdave; Feb 20, 18 at 5:16 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 20, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
Just boarding palma to Heathrow.
They called group 1,2,3,5.

The result was predictable in that all group 4 moves forward thinking they had missed the call !

i asked why the order and was told the computer just tells them what order to call !
Old Feb 20, 18, 7:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

B47 the other week to JFK was properly conducted and enforced. Chancers using lane for Group 1 sent back.
Old Feb 20, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
LHR to WAW, BA850 on Mon 19 Feb
This was boarding from one of the bus gates at 24, so was probably never going to work.
After the boarding pass scan everyone was sat down in the waiting area for the bus. As the bus arrived with BA850 printed on it everyone got up to join the "kind of" queue to the door - and they started boarding everyone.
Bizarelly, at the same time the gate agent at the boarding pass scan started making the announcement that boarding would be by group number, please stay seated etc - although everyone was boarding already - the announcement continued thourgh the various parts (pre-boarding, now invite group 1 etc etc) but the agent manning the door to the bus wasn't enforcing anything so it was a little rediculous!
Old Feb 24, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
T5 NOW. BA1468 to Inverness.

Passengers advised to check group number but absolutely no policing, people in Group 2 and 3 can use automated gates at same time as Group 1,.

Kind of defeats the purpose, and caps a flipping miserable morning at LHR which included broken transits and me waiting to guest a Flyertalker into Galleries First, who didn't show up...

Incidentally, Galleries First was actually out of my way as I was on a domestic from A9. Leaves a bitter taste.

EDIT: someone from BA just came to see me about transfer and delayed security!

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 24, 18 at 3:43 am
Old Feb 24, 18, 6:25 am

MAN-LHR BA1387 gate 142 24th Feb

not a lot of room at this gate, so two lines: 1,2,3 and 4,5.

​​​​​​Seemed orderly and smooth. Much better than gate 141.
Old Feb 24, 18, 5:15 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
LIN-LHR on 19 Feb, only two lines (priority and general) but they were calling groups on the loudspeaker, with shouts and disorganised crowds...but hey, it's Italy and the B gates at Linate a bus anyways...

LHR-MAD on 20 Feb, three lines: 1, 2 and 3, everyone else.

Again, really love this new system. Especially for intra-week flights to popular biz destinations, where the priority lane was often longer than the normal one. At least this way status is properly respected.
Old Feb 25, 18, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Another CPH datapoint. I was on 813 yesterday and groups 1, 2 and 3 were all called together to board first. Given the restricted room at gate 27 it’s virtually impossible to have five separate lines but I guess they could call 1, 2 and 3 in order rather than all together, especially as boarding started very early.
Old Feb 25, 18, 5:11 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion
Well organised at gate 32 T3 for BA219 to DEN. Preboarding resticted to those who need assistance and those travelling with children under 2. Groups then called in order and the queues checked for eligibility.
Old Feb 25, 18, 4:54 pm

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, Gold with BA, but no Moroccan Gold
ABZ-LHR today, group boarding worked fine as normal at ABZ gate 5 now.

LHR-LCA on BA662 from T5 gate A13 today. Worked fine, with tickets being checked by staff member down the long G1 queue before they started boarding the flight. G1 queue was long as it was seated back to row 14 in CE. Saw a few G5 just behind me being chased off to the right queue,
Old Feb 26, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci Silver for life, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold !!, Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
Another CPH datapoint. I was on 813 yesterday and groups 1, 2 and 3 were all called together to board first. Given the restricted room at gate 27 itís virtually impossible to have five separate lines but I guess they could call 1, 2 and 3 in order rather than all together, especially as boarding started very early.
Disappointing to hear that - so far for me, CPH has been strict about boarding in Group order. I'd be disappointed if they were starting to slip
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 26, 18, 10:33 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold
BA 233 LHR-DME was very well organised with a clear announcement explaining the group boarding system. Not a single pre-board. Fairly busy 777 and people all seemed to fall into the correct line at the gate.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: