Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 18, 3:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...iscussion.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 18, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Danish Ghauri View Post
Thank you very much for your constant feedback for the group bdg procedure at Copenhagen, i was doing the departures yesterday on friday evening flights (i think you were there thursday?) and gave a big effort to check that everyone actually eligble to board when doing the group bdg. I will forward your feedback
Many thanks for posting that. From a few chats with T5 colleagues it appears that after some initial sceptical doubts, many of them are won over to the new way of doing it since the first few groups seem to board fairly quickly and problem cases can be dealt with later in the process without a mass of people trying to get through. Now CPH has a few constraints with the front desk at the entrance, and a fairly restricted waiting area / queuing area, so it's good to hear of you trying to implement this. The one feedback I would give is that I'm not too keen on being held on the airbridge waiting for boarding through the aircraft door to start, but that's a Nordic trait I think!
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
BA1469 INV LHR 09Feb

Reminders to check group number announced.
Group 1 then invited to board. Person blocking lane and proceeds to shove his Silver boarding pass under the scanner as attendant is explaining that it is Group 1 only. The scanner beeps, she rolls her eyes. Passenger says its never been a problem before and walks to plane. Attendant scans my Group 1 pass while her colleague tells her its OK as Group 1,2,3 "are the same"
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
BA1469 INV LHR 09Feb
I think they have only introduced Group Boarding in the last few days in INV, it wasn't there last week.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think they have only introduced Group Boarding in the last few days in INV, it wasn't there last week.
To be honest, they did an admirable job.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:31 pm

TPA (Tampa) - LGW tonight.

TPA staff seemed to have fully embraced Group boarding - pointing out group numbers on our Boarding Passes when dropping our bags, and making several at-gate announcements reminding people about the group number system. There was signage at the gate for Groups 1, 2, 3, though none for Groups 4/5. Lots of people milling around, queueing.

Boarding called in order - Special Assistance / Young Kids, Group 1, Group 2 (didn't stay any later!). Boarding groups rigourously enforced - though gate staff tried to insist that Mrs Markle (Group 3, same PNR) couldn't board with me (Group 2).

Pretty sure that the convention is that you board with the higher group, not the lower group. Gate staff was quite insistent that this was not the case, though did relent. Frustrating that BA IT still can't do same Group Numbers for all passengers on a PNR.

A+ for enthusiastic enforcement though.
EsherFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Not tremendous BA634 from B gates to ATH, problem is that the lanes are separated from the seating area, so people start to congregate and clog the approach. I was on fairly quickly and didn't see what happened, but again the observation is that the later groups sit and wait more than they used to. Fatalism probably.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
BA 1422 LHR-BHD on 8th as for last week's 1420. No checking of BPs by staff. About 40 appeared to be Group 1. 2 called but everyone in the 2 & 3 line moved forward. I was 2 so can't report on anything else.
Until the automatic machines recognise who should and shouldn't be there AND the signs are high enough for all to see (above head height) this is going to cause more people to queue for even longer.
Old Feb 10, 18, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
BA98 YYZ-LHR tonight. Due to layout of gate and a very full flight, the whole boarding area was jammed and also some very confused gate staff. Since I am travelling with a 2 year old and wife, I pushed ahead toward the priority sign. Got to the counter, and one agent said “boarding is over there” and pointed us to end of line, and then another agent spotted the Group 1 on our BPs, and asked us to step aside.

As we boarded, I heard one agent asking supervisor “but what about Golds and Silvers?”

I think outstations are poorly educated in boarding process, but again, a poor layout of boarding area just causes a massive bottleneck...
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
On the 274 from LAS tonight.

Group 1 lane off to the right of E3, and four lanes setup to the left. However signage was poor (I assume due to the number of taller poles). Signs read Groups 2-3 / Groups 4-5.
I think their intention was for Group 2 to stand in the line to the left of the sign and for Group 3 to stand to the right. However, both groups just joined one line and left the other lane empty.

But groups were otherwise enforced.
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:34 pm

BA631 Athens, the gate attendants were really trying and did a great job. Bit of initial weeding, strictly observed access and very orderly. Apparently it's the fifth time they've tried it and they were discussing it beforehand and very engaged.

Really starting to like this system.
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Danish Ghauri View Post
Thank you very much for your constant feedback for the group bdg procedure at Copenhagen, i was doing the departures yesterday on friday evening flights (i think you were there thursday?) and gave a big effort to check that everyone actually eligble to board when doing the group bdg. I will forward your feedback
Thanks for your post Danish Ghauri. The group boarding seems to work well when the ground staff do it properly so it is great to hear this. I shall be at CPH next Sunday so look forward to seeing the process in action there myself
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:29 am

Good run had to come to an end, and so it did with BA418. Not helped by late arrival of incoming and gate layout at T3 3A, which includes a play me please piano just by the gate but no group lanes at all, just one gate agent and her microphone didn't work.

Chaotic but boarding proceeding.
Old Feb 11, 18, 11:20 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Group boarding IAH-LHR on Feb 8 seemed to go well. The BA First lounge announced "ready for boarding". All the lounge folks (and I presume the rest of them were also Group 1) boarded before any general gate announcements were made. I like this system. Apparently the system works, because the 100% full plane departed 13 minutes early.
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:59 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG G 18 years
T5 Gate 8 yesterday to Glasgow. Three lanes set up with relevant queues. Group 1 called to right hand scanner, Group 2 called to middle scanner and Groups 3-5 called to the left hand scanner at the same time. I'm not sure the gate staff had properly thought that through. The lead person in Group 1 had the red light on the scanner which caused a blockage. Those in Group 1 moved themselves on to the back of Group 2 which proved quicker.
Old Feb 11, 18, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by LPQ View Post
T5 Gate 8 yesterday to Glasgow. Three lanes set up with relevant queues. Group 1 called to right hand scanner, Group 2 called to middle scanner and Groups 3-5 called to the left hand scanner at the same time. I'm not sure the gate staff had properly thought that through. The lead person in Group 1 had the red light on the scanner which caused a blockage. Those in Group 1 moved themselves on to the back of Group 2 which proved quicker.
Boarding by group - all at the same time...

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: