Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Am I mad. BA stressing me up over a £80 value!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Why do they do it, but more to the point, why do I let them do it.

On 26th December I flew with my 2 kids to Oslo for 5 nights. Before we booked (at least I think it was before but I'm not putting my house on it) I opted in for the double Avios.

I then was thrilled to get the email regarding the 2000 Avios 'present'.

On the 20th December, after reading on here of you lucky lot who got your 2000, I emailed BA as ours had not appeared. I got a brief reply stating that the 'double Avios' would be credited after we had flown. My email was clear as glass that I was inquiring about the 2000 bonus and not the double. There was no option to reply on this email so I found some time and made a phone call and after a fair bit of time explaining the very basic nature of our inquiry I was assured the points would be added and should be done in time so they could be spent on board (I was never going to use them for this, but was quoting one of the benefit from the email)

Should I note that as well as me being gold, both kids (did not receive either) are silver ?

Anyhow, had a great trip and the 2000 bonus Avios was credited to my account, but none for the kids and no double avios to be seen be applied.

Left it another week and pinged off an email to customer relations, this time about both the 2000 Avios and the double avios.

I got a timely reply that stated the kids are not eligible for the 2000 xmas Avios. I looked carefully at the T+C's and it clearly stated that ALL Executive Club members. There was no disclaimer suggesting that kids were excluded.

For the double Avios I was told that I had opted in after I had booked. I do dispute this as as a rule of thumb I make a point of opting into such offers the moment they are announced to avoid forgetting but naturally I cannot prove this.

Not sure why BA want to have this argument with me? I could envisage such an argument with a different LCC.

I am cross. In total it's just over 8000 Avios in dispute. Clearly the time on the phone, reading and writing emails is not worth it. This was supposed to have been a nice gesture from BA (and I really did appreciate it) but instead they have wound me up.

Any suggestions to getting resolved? I know the real answer is it's not worth bothering with.........
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I suggest that you send another email or try their Twitter team re the point about the kids (I take what you say at face value, but have no idea)- but make sure you are measured. These things are annoying, but hopefully you will get the result you want in the end. It is certainly not something to get too wound up about.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
I know the real answer is it's not worth bothering with.........
Well, yes. A simple mail to BAEC to sort it out and give them time to process it. (I've had recent very fast responses from BA/BAEC in the last weeks and, considering the recent issues, I thought that this was rather fast).

Overall, it is a small amount of Avios and I would not be getting myself hot and bothered over it. Just give it some time.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Well, yes. A simple mail to BAEC to sort it out and give them time to process it. (I've had recent very fast responses from BA/BAEC in the last weeks and, considering the recent issues, I thought that this was rather fast).

Overall, it is a small amount of Avios and I would not be getting myself hot and bothered over it. Just give it some time.
I've done the email and had a kinda final ( and in my view an incorrect response).

I've pasted the reply below. The only good thing was that I got the reply in a little over 24h. Giving them time isn't the issue. It's whether I bother to argue that they are in the wrong. I am very confident of my position on the 2000 Avios.....

Dear kingcole74

Thank you for getting back in touch with us regarding our Christmas bonus.

I'm sorry, but under 18's can’t earn Bonus Avios under our campaigns so I am unable to award Avios to SON1 and SON2 account.

Thank you for also contacting us about our Double Avios campaign for your booking, NIJ56V.

I'm sorry, but you have not qualified for the bonus as you booked on 24 November, but registered to the campaign on 17 Decmber. To earn the bonus you had to register to the campaign before booking.

I know my answer will be disappointing, but to help members make the most of our offers we include a link to the Terms and Conditions in our promotional emails and online at ba.com.

If I can help you with anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me.

If you would like to contact me again about this case please click on this link:

'LINK REMOVED'

Best regards

HID HIS NAME
British Airways Executive Club
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Duplicate post, mods please delete it able
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So to clarify, you are unsure whether you signed up to the double Avios offer before booking so may well be ineligible and ustomer services have told you that you didn’t?

You didn’t receive an email to say you had been selected for the Christmas bonus so you called up and and they promised you to get the points you were entitled to?

Can you clarify whether they also promised posed points for your children’s account during this call?

By all means pursue it, but try not to let it frustrate you (easier said than done). What I would request in your reply is the date that each individual signed up to the double Avios offer so that you can compare this to the date you booked.Edit please disregard italics, your subsequent reply demonstrates from the information they provided that you are ineligible.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Where does the £80 come from?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
So to clarify, you are unsure whether you signed up to the double Avios offer before booking so may well be ineligible and ustomer services have told you that you didn’t?

You didn’t receive an email to say you had been selected for the Christmas bonus so you called up and and they promised you to get the points you were entitled to?

Can you clarify whether they also promised posed points for your children’s account during this call?

By all means pursue it, but try not to let it frustrate you (easier said than done). What I would request in your reply is the date that each individual signed up to the double Avios offer so that you can compare this to the date you booked.Edit please disregard italics, your subsequent reply demonstrates from the information they provided that you are ineligible.
I'm pretty sure I signed up well before I booked or even knew I was going to book, but I don't have proof of the date at which I signed up.

What I do have is a reply to my email regarding not receiving the 2000 Avios confirming that the double Avios would be awarded after I have traveled.

Wrong, I did receive an email about the 2000 point Xmas promotion. My kids did not, but that could be because I set their email preferences not to receive marketing email. Anyhow, this is a moot point as the T&C's from this promotion clearly state that ALL executive club members would be entitled to it. There was clearly an issue with our booking as mine did not automatically credit. I can't see their justification in suggesting my kids are not allowed the promotion as they are not adults. They are executive club member so are clearly covered under the 'all members' umbrella.

It looks like I can't prove I signed up in time for the double Avios so I clearly don't have a leg to stand on regarding this, but it does seem black and white on the 2000 promo......
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Where does the £80 come from?
That's my own valuation on the 8100 odd Avios I think I am due.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

I would just like to address your title for this thread. "Am I mad. BA stressing me up over a £80 value!"

Your stress is self-induced, not induced by BA. You might want to think about that if you actually meant you are feeling stress over this.

I always remember driving on a busy city road with my Brother in the passenger seat. The driver of another car cut me off and like many people would do, I soundly cursed his action. My Brother looked at me and said, 'why are you getting excited? The driver of that car not only can't hear you, you aren't going to affect him in any way. Meanwhile, you are the one who is going to give yourself an ulcer. Why would you do that to yourself?'

Stress is something we do to ourselves even though we believe it is caused by others. It never is.
Sohoboy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I believe it's called catharsis
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:42 am

I guess an argument can be made that under 18 are not BAEC members (section 3.1 of terms and conditions), they are members of a household account (section 18 particularly 18.3).

i would perhaps pursue it once further stating that it was not clear from the email you received that they were excluded, but near in mind this was a good will gesture so it really is at the discretion of BA.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
I guess an argument can be made that under 18 are not BAEC members (section 3.1 of terms and conditions), they are members of a household account (section 18 particularly 18.3).

i would perhaps pursue it once further stating that it was not clear from the email you received that they were excluded, but near in mind this was a good will gesture so it really is at the discretion of BA.
I'm sure many on here are Exec club members and that memberhsip is part of a household account. That's a perverse argument.

My kids have their own silver cards, their own executive club memberhsip number, their own tier points (and lifetime tier points) and their own Avios. And what about my wife? She is also a member of our household account.

It seems that some on this board try and defend some of BA's actions no matter how illogical or irrational they are.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
It seems that some on this board try and defend some of BA's actions no matter how illogical or irrational they are.
Given the IMHO unwarranted response to friendly advice when I do not seek to defend BA, and do not believe it was either illogical or irrational, I shall therefore wish you every success with your ongoing claim but will not be providing any further advice .
Offshore171 and jordie like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This board gets more complicated by the day.

OP - I'd suggest sending a PM to BAmissingavios (official BA rep on here) to see if they can get your promo avios points added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.