Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Silver - Baggage Allowance on my new bookings?

Old Jan 8, 18, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Hope someone can help. I am silver all this year and have recently booked 16 flights of which 14 are short haul.

On the short haul economy bookings (with baggage) it states

Baggage allowance
Checked baggage per passenger
Adults, young adults and children:
2 bags at 23kg (51lbs)

But on BA Silver benefits (which I have been enjoying all last year it states (as many have quoted))

a checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*
a weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking*

I am now confused. Is this a "computer error" (and if it is should I get in touch with BA to sort this) or correct? Or should I just chill and take the 32 KG bags to check in?
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
I'd just chill and bring your 32kg bags. My baggage allowance on the ticket/MMB never auto updates anyway, but never had a problem.
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you will be fine and you will definitely be allowed 32 kg per checked bag. the 23 kg limit is the standard limit unless you have status where, as you noted, you can check up to 32 kg without any additional heavy bag charge.
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Interesting that the bookings recognise that I can have 2 bags. But it doesn't get the weight right? V odd.
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jerseylily View Post
Interesting that the bookings recognise that I can have 2 bags. But it doesn't get the weight right? V odd.
I'm not sure that we've ever had official word as to whether the 32 kg allowance is now contractual (ie ticketed) or still a policy concession (as I think it used to be).

For obvious reasons, MMB is likely to display the contractual allowance - and if that is still 23 kg because the 32 kg allowance is a policy concession, it is not hard to see why MMB might show the lower figure.
Old Jan 8, 18, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I'm not sure that we've ever had official word as to whether the 32 kg allowance is now contractual (ie ticketed) or still a policy concession (as I think it used to be).

For obvious reasons, MMB is likely to display the contractual allowance - and if that is still 23 kg because the 32 kg allowance is a policy concession, it is not hard to see why MMB might show the lower figure.
I think you are right - BA waive the heavy bag charge for SCH and GCH. However, the allowance is still 23kg and that is or always used to be relevant where BA is the most significant carrier and its allowances is therefore honoured by other carriers on the same booking.

This can make things confusing!
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Crystal Clear?

So silver gets me 2 bags contractually and as a customary gesture(which I can rely on ?) they will always waive the excess baggage charge?
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerseylily View Post
So silver gets me 2 bags contractually and as a customary gesture(which I can rely on ?) they will always waive the excess baggage charge?
yes, it's a status benefit. Effectively your status means the heavy bag charge, normally levied for bags between 23-32kg, is waived for you.