Wiki Posts
Search

Mid-flight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
Honestly....it is no concern of yours.

That’s the black and white answer.

A bit direct, but people who come on here and ask this time and time again.....

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
I really don't think it is necessary to post replies like this. This website caters to people who are interested in aviation and come on here to learn more and speculate. I really don't see why it is of no concern to people on Flyertalk? What is the harm in knowing why something happens. If you don't want to answer the question or speculate on the matter, then you don't need to participate.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Some staff travel can be on a "space available/standby" basis, perhaps they were entitled/paid for F, but only if there was a seat not taken by a revenue customer. The F seat could have been held for a connecting customer who didn't make the connection, so the staff member was upgraded when the door closed.
possible but unlikely as there were other seats free and expertflyer had that seat open. Not a big deal for me though, just curious.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To be honest it can be a lot of different things ranging from the senior cabin crew member finding on the iPad that the passenger has had multiple incidents on the trip and feeling that an on the spot informal upgrade may be a good way to limit the damage and show to the customer that BA is sorry for whatever happened, to the infamous situations that many FTers seem to resent such as a family member of someone from the crew being given the go ahead to move forward. It could also be that there was something wrong with the seat that was not apparent (so many things can get wrong with seats and not just the more obvious ones). In brief I don’t think anyone can know based on what you saw. And no it isn’t very frequent, though not very rare either.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
Honestly....it is no concern of yours.

That’s the black and white answer.

A bit direct, but people who come on here and ask this time and time again.....

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Nice to see a crew member show the same courtesy online as they do on board.

And yet people wonder why BA are getting hammered in customer satisfaction surveys 🙄
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by londonclubguy

And yet people wonder why BA are getting hammered in customer satisfaction surveys 🙄
ha - brilliant.

I think its perfectly natural to be curious about where that person disappeared to!

LHR-LAS 2 weeks ago, 2 people had been allocated the same seat in WT in the row in front of me. BA Staff took one guy up the front and he never returned :O
Obviously I was very curious to where he went...but up ahead was only WT+, J or Y so I came to the conclusion the guy got upgraded (why - status, frequent flyer, staff etc I'll never know..)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by londonclubguy

And yet people wonder why BA are getting hammered in customer satisfaction surveys ��
OK, let me speculate a bit as to why this may be a bit of a raw nerve. Let us imagine there was in fact a very good reason for this. For example the CW seat was defective for take off and landing purposes, passenger downgraded in advance, so no CW meal loaded, extra WTP meal loaded. After the meal was served the downgraded passenger was restored to their seat. Now that is no one's business but the relevants, Alternative version: a GGL was invited to go forward after the meal. Again that's no-one's business etc, so we will never know. However the view that often takes place - and indeed magnified in these fora - is that the cabin crew decided to move one of their mates forward just because they could. Now that is an irksome accusation which for the same reason that the legitimate moves can't be made public is also impossible to refute. I think the crew member here did say it was a bit direct, it's certainly concise, but they are not lacking in courtesy. Try saying it in Dutch for an even blunter version.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:53 am

It might not be their "business", but that doesn't stop it being a perfectly valid thing to be curious about.

Really not sure why anyone with the knowledge to answer the question would get their back up about it. It's not like the poster came in and started saying how sh*t the service was because someone else got upgraded etc etc.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
But speculation is fun!
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Nuster

mild curiousity? Unsure how upgrades work? Interested in the workings of an airline?

i witnessed a staff member being upgraded into F just before take off this week.I was curious as to why this occurred with spare seats in all cabins but didn't feel the need to post on here. Still mildly curious which I don't think warrants finger wagging. Otherwise there would be a lot less threads on here.
I am interested.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Could be a gesture as maybe a companion was upfront in a higher cabin. 10 days ago I was on a European flight with my GF and I was in C and she was in Y.

I was seated in 1F and the 1D seat was also free. After boarding was complete I popped down to have a quick chat with my GF in Y and when I sat back down the FA in the C cabin asked me if the girl I had been speaking to was a relative / friend etc. When I mentioned it was my GF she said that after the CE meal had been served she was welcome to come up and join me and take 1D.

In the end both myself and GF fell asleep soon after take-off (we had set off for LGW at 04:00 that morning) so she never did join me! But I thought it was a really lovely gesture by the crew member ^^

Last edited by BOH; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:43 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by RG1X
It might not be their "business", but that doesn't stop it being a perfectly valid thing to be curious about.

Really not sure why anyone with the knowledge to answer the question would get their back up about it. It's not like the poster came in and started saying how sh*t the service was because someone else got upgraded etc etc.
But there's nothing discourteous about merely refusing to answer a question and thereby declining to indulge someone's curiosity. We gain a great deal here from contributions from BA staff, and attacking a staff member just because there's a particular topic they don't want to address is inappropriate. If you asked me what I earned I could tell you or not, as is my wish. If I replied that it was absolutely none of your business, I might be being pithy, but I would not be being discourteous.
rockflyertalk and navylad like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by CCayley
But there's nothing discourteous about merely refusing to answer a question and thereby declining to indulge someone's curiosity. We gain a great deal here from contributions from BA staff, and attacking a staff member just because there's a particular topic they don't want to address is inappropriate. If you asked me what I earned I could tell you or not, as is my wish. If I replied that it was absolutely none of your business, I might be being pithy, but I would not be being discourteous.
could I suggest they simply do not post? The question was not posed directly to the poster so there was really no need to post at all I would think
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
The difference being, if I asked you about your salary, I am asking you directly, you have the right to refuse to answer. The OP did not ask that staff member directly, so they were under no obligation to reply at all. Instead, that staff member went to the effort to reply that it is none of the OP's business, despite not being asked directly at all. They were being discourteous just because they wanted to.

I know we have gotten away from the point of this thread, but I just don't understand why people need to be rude when they can just ignore.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TPRun
ha - brilliant.

LHR-LAS 2 weeks ago, 2 people had been allocated the same seat in WT in the row in front of me. BA Staff took one guy up the front and he never returned :O
Obviously I was very curious to where he went...but up ahead was only WT+, J or Y so I came to the conclusion the guy got upgraded (why - status, frequent flyer, staff etc I'll never know..)
This happened to me once in SYD – I was one of the first people to board and someone else arrived later with a boarding pass displaying the same seat allocation as me in Y. Simple explanation: I had been op-up'd to W but for whatever reason I hadn't been provided with this information or my new boarding pass at the gate...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Nuster

could I suggest they simply do not post? The question was not posed directly to the poster so there was really no need to post at all I would think
It is perfectly reasonable to reply given the situation as eluded to by @corporate-wage-slave

Clearly those who be the fortunate recipients and we should be both grateful that circumstances can sometimes permit this without wishing to deminish the chances of such circumstances in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.