WT Improvements

Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by flatlander
I also noted recently that the crew pro-actively asked if I wanted wine with my meal at the first drinks run (in WT+), which is welcome. It's easy to forget that BA doesn't run wine with the meals and so you have to get your pre-dinner drink and dinner drink at the same time.
I find this varies from crew to crew and most recently they have always served wine with the meal. I prefer it as it's a lot of stuff to keep on your tiny table otherwise.

Just flew LHR-YYZ. No pretzels, no ice cream. No cheese but once I asked they found some. New sandwich box for second meal though and snacks at the back of the plane. Frustrating that BA haven't managed to roll this out consistently though.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by williamn78
Frustrating that BA haven't managed to roll this out consistently though.
For me this is the issue, and the one thing that seems to be consistent with all of the service changes (good or bad): inconsistency. In my recent Y long haul, the cheese and biscuits were back as well as the small bottle of water instead of cuplet in main meal; however, no pretzels or ice cream.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:30 pm
D1L

Originally Posted by Egoldstein
For me this is the issue, and the one thing that seems to be consistent with all of the service changes (good or bad): inconsistency. In my recent Y long haul, the cheese and biscuits were back as well as the small bottle of water instead of cuplet in main meal; however, no pretzels or ice cream.
To be honest this could very well be down to the crew forgetting or not even being aware such things are now (again) offered on the route, Theres a very good chance they were actually loaded. I feel more information to the crew needs to be given out to improve a consistent service. In fairness they are bombarded with so many updates and changes it can all start getting lost in translation. Each aircraft type has different stowage locations for the above two items and these can vary further depending on the flight catering banding. Theres been many long-range flights where the mid-flight snack box hasnt even been offered - as the crew simply believed they were not loaded as they were not stored with-in the World Traveller galley ! Hopefully as time goes on BA will allow the crew to get used to the improvsd service offering just in time before they remove it all again....
BA235 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Magnums on yesterday's Atlanta service! WTP and WT served about 3:30 hours from arrival.

Pretzels and cheese/biscuits included with the meal. Separate offering of wine with the meal too.

Tuckbox laid out in the rear galley with biscuits, mini cheddars, and chocolates.

Pre-departure beverage was a choice of sparkling white wine or water.

Otherwise same WTP & WT meals (the beef with tarragon sauce was one of the better mains I've had) and pre-arrival sandwich + cake box.

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
On my last LHR-LAX WT+ flight, arriving around 7pm or so, instead of the cake and sandwiches, it was a choice of some sort of hot chicken or cheese panini type thing. Didn't have it so can't say for sure.

Do like the little chocolate bars in the snack box. Nice to delude yourself that a few of them are healthier than a Kit-Kat or similar
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Magnums on yesterday's Atlanta service! WTP and WT served about 3:30 hours from arrival.

Pretzels and cheese/biscuits included with the meal. Separate offering of wine with the meal too.

Tuckbox laid out in the rear galley with biscuits, mini cheddars, and chocolates.

Pre-departure beverage was a choice of sparkling white wine or water.

Otherwise same WTP & WT meals (the beef with tarragon sauce was one of the better mains I've had) and pre-arrival sandwich + cake box.

Arent we discussing WT improvements so should some, if not most of this, be in this thread...

Long haul in-flight catering | World Traveller Plus

Isnt WT PLUS a CW main?

This may get confusing or misleading for anyone seeking WT info! I guess its a fine line...but I wouldnt want anyone expecting their meal in china, drinks in glass and a menu card in Y!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

...but I wouldnt want anyone expecting their meal in china, drinks in glass and a menu card in Y!
Well, not on BA
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, 4 long haul flights done and here is the info!

YYZ-LHR Jan 19 - Orderd VLML, got a 'sort of' vegan meal - the main was sprouts, butternut squash and a teaspoon of lentils, with absolutely zero taste. Salad was iceberg, tomatoes and cucumber with the wateriest salad dressing I have ever seen, and 'pudding' was some very lame chopped fruit. I say 'sort of' vegan, because there was cheese and crackers on the tray as well. Overnight flight, so no magnums, but there was a tuck box in the galley with buttons, fudge, mini chedders etc. Can't really comment on the snack before landing, as it looked terribly unappetizing so I skipped it.

LHR-DXB Jan 20th - Ordered VLML and actually got a lacto ovo meal - it was the farfalle pasta with tomato and mascarpone, which is pleasant. cous cous salad, and salted caramel pot, and cheese and biscuits. I was awoken from a light doze by a cacophony of rustling, turns out magnum bars are really really noisy when opened en masse! But RESULT - it was NOT a mini magnum, but a full size double caramel magnum - woop woop! Crew said there were no alternate snacks loaded for the person in the row behind (think she was vegan), which seems pretty bad. There was the tuck box in the galley as well. A sandwich (hummus, tomato and lettuce) and a box of raisins before landing.

DXB-LHR - Jan 26th - Ordered VLML and it was awful - a garden salad with no dressing, a bread roll with no butter or margarine, a vegetable lasagna (possibly?) that was devoid of taste and structure, and the ultimate insult, pudding was half a part-baked apple studded with a couple of almonds. But the really bad part - the cheese on the tray was not suitable for vegetarians. No magnums, but there was a tuck box in the galley. Food prior to landing was a warm vegetable wrap.

LHR - YYZ - Jan 27th - Ordered VLML and it was identical to the LHR-DXB flight, main, salad, pud, cheese. Also had full size magnums double caramel again (confirmed with crew only one flavour is loaded). But no snack box in the galley, crew said the flight wasn't deemed long enough to have it! Sandwich before landing was hummus again, but I asked crew if there were any egg mayo left and as there were, had that instead.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by emma69
Ok, 4 long haul flights done and here is the info!
Thanks for the very rare feedback report! [Most of the tales so far have been from WTP] The VLML aspect was interesting, it seems the London departing flights were OK, those from out stations rather less so. I did wonder who would be the first to "complain" about the rustling Magnum wrappers!! They are uniquely scratchy.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the very rare feedback report! [Most of the tales so far have been from WTP] The VLML aspect was interesting, it seems the London departing flights were OK, those from out stations rather less so. I did wonder who would be the first to "complain" about the rustling Magnum wrappers!! They are uniquely scratchy.
You are welcome! It was a heck of a week doing 4 long hauls like that in the back of the bus, it has been years since I have done similar! The catering out of LHR is head and shoulders above Toronto and Dubai, but the non veggie cheese on the veggie tray is really inexcusable in this day and age.

It's absolutely a first world problem that 'the magnums were too loud' but yes, they really are very very 'scratchy'!

I will add most of the cabin were not aware of the tuck boxes - on the one hand, it is nice if people know they can get a snack, but at the same time you don't want devouring hoards. The crew were literally pressing extras into my hands telling me to take them (I am not sure if they are thrown away after a point?) but perhaps rather than that, they have them on the second service trolley as a 'oh can I have one of those' items rather than waste them?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
But no snack box in the galley, crew said the flight wasn't deemed long .
Operated YYZ last week. When completing the catering checks I was told the tuck box was for the inbound night sector only as the Magnum bars are for daylight outbound sectors only. On our return the next day we didn't have enough pretzels to serve WT, however we did have the tuck box and also the Magnum Bars as it appeared the crew on the outbound didn't serve the later.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Lots and lots of confusion amongst cabin crew not helped by the fact that some routes didn’t have the correct product onboard from the 17th January, we are told everything will be in place from tomorrow, knowing BA I very much doubt it.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's absolutely a first world problem that 'the magnums were too loud' but yes, they really are very very 'scratchy'!
One of our gorgeous Moderators has a well known aversion to certain noise tones, not just to North London airports. I won't name the Mod concerned but I suspect this will be all she needs to know to keep on booking First instead!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhdcommuter
Operated YYZ last week. When completing the catering checks I was told the tuck box was for the inbound night sector only as the Magnum bars are for daylight outbound sectors only. On our return the next day we didn't have enough pretzels to serve WT, however we did have the tuck box and also the Magnum Bars as it appeared the crew on the outbound didn't serve the later.
There doesn't seem to be much logic applied - the LHR-DXB and LHR-YYZ left at very similar times, were of very similar duration, had the same meal service, yet one had a tuck box and the other one did not. It might just be easier to have it on all legs over X hours and not try and work out if it is technically day or night - people get peckish at all hours! But can I ask you, did you have any vegan / diabetic snacks loaded?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One of our gorgeous Moderators has a well known aversion to certain noise tones, not just to North London airports. I won't name the Mod concerned but I suspect this will be all she needs to know to keep on booking First instead!
Ah yes, magnum rustle, the number 1 reason for not downgrading from First to Economy!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.