Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WT Improvements

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This all sounds pretty good for economy (even bearing in mind the BA PR department's finely honed ability to apply lipstick to pigs).

Unfortunately my next itinary returns on the 15th so I'll just miss this. I guess I'll just have to struggle through

I particularly feel that if this all ends up as described, one would find it hard to feel under-fed in the back of the aircraft even on long flights, which was a genuine complaint on some of the longer US West Coast routes last year.

One could now summarise BA Economy as becoming reasonably cheap and reasonably cheerful, rather than the cheap and rather nasty of last year.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
I wonder if all the press happily reporting on each negative change in BA's service levels will also report on this? :-)

Either way, I'll be glad of the hot breakfast on the return from a TP run to OAK next month.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
What about DME??
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
This is great!

Welcome drink though? I assume they mean the first drink after take off?

Last edited by Lewis King; Jan 8, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
This is a positive change, but is this just a precursor to BA introducing long-haul baggage only and/or BOB fares? Or pave the way for IAG to introduce Level ex-London to further segment the market?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by Raffles

Don't understand ..... this is what you wanted. Alex Cruz told me. All those surveys and forms etc .....
I think I may personally be responsible for these changes...

After a recent £1,000+ Y NBO-LHR flight, I did make sure I shared my experience not only with the good people of the interwebz (think instagram) but also with the BA CS department, about the following:
- being thrown out of my selected seat and dumped into 53G without the ability to move until checkin opened
- having a broken seatback table
- enjoying the "war of ants" show during the entire flight (broken IFE, the size of which in any case is ridiculous)
- being offered a pathetic Soreen bar for "breakfast"

I also explained in my friendly message that KQ's offering was superior in every aspect. I suspect this may well have been the last drop in the glass for BA!

Joking aside I assume the collective complaining must have worked.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by zat_dude
I think I may personally be responsible for these changes...
A combination of you and Janice Turner perhaps. Her notebook earlier this year seems to have hit the mark.

Previous discussion here: BA 'Long-Haul Hunger' - The Times
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
Cathay serve them in Y and Y+. I've had them out to Oz and back. Out of Heathrow or Honkers it's been a Haagen Daz tub. Out of Oz it's been Weis ice cream bars a fruit ice and ice cream bar. Both normally come super frozen and I wish they would dish them out with the meal so they'd have time to warm up a bit. Quite often I've had the meal tray taken away to be left with the tub, chipping away with the tiny spoon. On a couple of occasions there's been left over tubs and they've left them with galley snacks (yes, CX has galley snax for Y pax on the longer routes - fruits, crisps, crackers, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate and you a can order a hot noodle snack if you are really hungry).
i did AA in Y once and they basically have the club kitchen offering to snack on during the night.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by internetplumber
I wonder if all the press happily reporting on each negative change in BA's service levels will also report on this? :-).
You are correct, and I make the same point in an article tomorrow.

But everyone knows this. It is the way the world works. Grief, I won business travel 'Editor of the Year' (as voted by representatives of the broader travel trade) for my BA cutbacks reporting. That's why it was stupid to do it in the first place. Getting back up will take at least twice as long as the slide down.

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Also worth noting that some of the 'enhanced snacks' will be served on the meal trays for use later in the flight (water bottle and graze box), so do remember to remove them to the seat pocket before the trays are cleared in or you might find you go without - can't see more being loaded!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Also worth noting that some of the 'enhanced snacks' will be served on the meal trays for use later in the flight (water bottle and graze box), so do remember to remove them to the seat pocket before the trays are cleared in or you might find you go without - can't see more being loaded!
i read this differently, influenced by my acquaintance of the current set up on super long range flights, such that I would expect the graze snacks to be distributed later in the flight
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
I was wondering if something was in the offing the other week on when I was on my DME flight. The sandwich was gone, yes gone, and replaced with......a falafel & humus wrap. And the kit kat was gone too, yes gone, replaced by......a toblerone. Giddy with excitement ��
In all seriousness, I do wonder if these flights will be earmarked for a better catering offering in Y too. They don’t do duty free sales on these flights so can’t see how they can justify the lack of space reasoning.

S
There is a lack of space on the DME flights as it is one of the few mid haul routes that are return catered from LHR. As DME offers the full long haul product in Club and this is return catered, it takes up a lot of space (including in the Y galley).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero
i read this differently, influenced by my acquaintance of the current set up on super long range flights, such that I would expect the graze snacks to be distributed later in the flight
It is both. (Bear with me, this is BA-levels of complication...)

The ice creams will be distributed. The 'tuck boxes' will be left in the galley for self-service. But the bottles of water and 'movie snack' graze boxes (these on the 'longest' flights only) will be on the meal trays. Now the better crews will remove unopened versions of these from trays on clearing in and either hand back to the passenger immediately or place into a box on the top of the trolley for use later on, but this cannot be relied upon and you can bet that some won't think (or be bothered) to do so.
Stez likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:39 pm

This is very much welcomed - collective complaints seem to have done the trick.
I wonder what the cost of the reversed cuts were per passenger - maybe 50p or a pound or so, but having regular passengers decamp to the competition must have had some impact.
The press photos that accompany the release seem to be quite impressive - more here - seem to imply the tuck boxes are taken around the aisles:
British Airways meals inflight increase in size
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by lorkers
This is very much welcomed - collective complaints seem to have done the trick.
I wonder what the cost of the reversed cuts were per passenger - maybe 50p or a pound or so, but having regular passengers decamp to the competition must have had some impact.
The press photos that accompany the release seem to be quite impressive - more here - seem to imply the tuck boxes are taken around the aisles:
British Airways meals inflight increase in size
yep. Collective complaints on forums and social media have definitely worked. The thing that irks BA the mist is to be compared with LCCs and to be called budget airline. I guess we all welcome these changes which are in part a reversal of recent cuts and the introduction of new features. Ther is still a battle to be won: BoB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.