WT Improvements

Old Jan 8, 18, 9:53 pm

Welcome changes but looks a lot to me like just restoring the product to what it was a couple of years ago and pretending its new and improved, its certainly not taking things any further than the other airlines i now fly.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:31 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (former US CP), HHonors Gold
I wonder how much the JV with AA has had to do with this...

AA has long offered mid-flight movie ice-creams on its TATL routes, and has long has a midflight "snack bar" set up that consists of pretzels/cookies and the left over cheese and crackers from the meal service.
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
Welcome changes but looks a lot to me like just restoring the product to what it was a couple of years ago and pretending its new and improved, its certainly not taking things any further than the other airlines i now fly.
It beats Norwegian hands down, which is significant.

For short-haul operations, the customers' demands have driven everyone towards cheapest fares with buy-on-board. Customers for short haul only care about the cheap fare to the right airport which puts BA, EasyJet and Norwegian head to head and forces BA to act like a higher-grade LCC (Ryanair is still not exactly competitive because they still tend to fly to an airport in a field somewhere far away from the metropolis). I doubt that the BA/Easyjet level of service will change much on metropolis-to-metropolis in Europe any time soon - no matter who you fly with.

On long-haul operations, I suspect that BA are trying to squash the Norwegian upstart with a combination of low(er) fares where they compete, and better service with cheap, decorative elements. Ice-cream isn't very expensive, and I bet they got a cheap deal with Graze for the quid-pro-quo marketing since Graze is trying to expand into retail sale of snacks from their initial subscription offering. Yet, these are substantial things for the economy customer, removing the problem of either having to pay out a lot more for on board food or finding somewhere to load up with snacks before the flight.

BA earns little from a cheap economy fare (because so much goes in taxes, airport fees, fuel costs, etc), but the customer thinks they paid a lot and they did from their point of view (as a proportion of disposable income). BA is trying to reconcile this difficult problem that the average customer does not understand how much aviation really costs, nor have the money to pay much higher fares, with the underlying need to make a profit on high fixed external costs, by focusing on the cheaper things that customers like.

So seats will continue to be too small but you'll get icecream mid-flight. That's the best customers can get for the money they're willing to pay, and they'll probably be happy with it.
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I was looking at a one-way economy fare from LHR-LAX this month and only £1709! For that amount, it better be some, "think of what Samuel L. Jackson would say", ice cream

Introducing ice cream in January doesn't seem the best thing to be honest. Last time I remember having some in Y was on a Virgin Atlantic flight to MCO.
I find Graze products to overpriced for the minimal amount you get, although I will give them credit on the range they do especially if you can select what you want.

As for any snacks in economy, it doesn't really bother me as 99% of the time I refuse them anyway. Happier with my liberated piece of fruit from a lounge (should I not have stuffed myself previously) than some sugary or high carb offering.

Still, a step in the right direction for those who like this sort of thing.
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Agree, a step in the direction - especially for any ice cream aficionados out there !

I’ve no recent experience of other carriers which apparently offer ice cream in Y, so wondered if those in-the-know can confirm whether such carriers offer it on ALL flights or only certain sectors ....?

According to the official BA announcement, the ice cream will only appear on daytime flights ex London (so presumably not on return legs ?) :

Customers on daylight flights from London will be offered a range of Magnum ice-creams, while those on night flights will be offered a tuck-box with options such as Dairy Milk Buttons, Twix, Kit-Kats and Mini Cheddars, which will also be available in the galley for them to help themselves to.”
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Agree, a step in the direction - especially for any ice cream aficionados out there !

I’ve no recent experience of other carriers which apparently offer ice cream in Y, so wondered if those in-the-know can confirm whether such carriers offer it on ALL flights or only certain sectors ....?

According to the official BA announcement, the ice cream will only appear on daytime flights ex London (so presumably not on return legs ?) :

Customers on daylight flights from London will be offered a range of Magnum ice-creams, while those on night flights will be offered a tuck-box with options such as Dairy Milk Buttons, Twix, Kit-Kats and Mini Cheddars, which will also be available in the galley for them to help themselves to.”
Magnum ice cream is hardly for ice cream aficionados
Old Jan 9, 18, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Magnum ice cream is hardly for ice cream aficionados
Guess you’re right there

(although must confess I’m occasionally tempted to pick up a pack (of the white ones) from the supermarket freezer .... )
Old Jan 9, 18, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Guess you’re right there

(although must confess I’m occasionally tempted to pick up a pack (of the white ones) from the supermarket freezer .... )
I'll sometimes buy them if say 3 for £1 at Heron. Usually the almond ones although I just eat the chocolate and throw the rest away.
Old Jan 9, 18, 5:42 am

Magnums aren’t exactly the most practical of things to eat though compared to a pot of Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s.
still - its better than nothing.
Old Jan 9, 18, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Speaking as someone who takes Y Long Haul on a regular basis due to company policy (approximately one to two trips monthly, locations such as JNB, ORD, DEL, and IAD very common), I think these changes are very positive. For long haul day-time flights, the addition of ice cream or a snack helps to break the monotony of the long period between the meal at take off early in the flight and anything at the end of the flight. In addition, the cheese and biscuits and bottle of water are most welcomed and will definitely be noticed by those who take BA regularly.

Yes, it is the case that this simply returns BA to service levels before the more extreme recent cuts, and now seems to match service levels on other airlines like AA/VS, it is notable as a signal that management has realised they went too far with the penny pinching, and seem to be allowing the customer experience person to front the changes.

I was on a flight to ACC about a month ago (op up to WTP) and found these changes in place (except maybe for pretzels). Was also interested on this route that they served a locally spiced chicken and rice dish that almost blew my taste buds off, it was so spicy.
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly View Post
Magnums aren’t exactly the most practical of things to eat though compared to a pot of Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s.
still - its better than nothing.
The tubs do tend to be rock hard though so you need to let them defrost a bit. At least with the ice cream on a stick, you can eat immediately.
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
I've just come off a 10 hour day flight on Qantas from Melbourne (to Tokyo) in economy and even with these new meals, it puts BA to shame.

For the flight, service consisted of:

Water bottles distributed after takeoff
Lunch (OK - main course + bread + desert - no starters)
Ice cream run
FRESH fruit (banana / apple) run
Snack of date bread
Pre-landing noodles

All of the above plus regular water runs by crew and peppermint tea on the trolley for those that don't want caffeine.

Seriously puts BA to shame even with the new 'enhancements'
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Silver
Hooray!

I flew LGW - MCO the other day in Y and towards the end of the flight got given a Chicken Ceasar Wrap with a Toblerone which I don’t remember from previously so was pleasantly surprised!

Although no snack boxes or ice creams mid flight and certainly no pretzls with the first drink. And the sad looking cup of water still existed.

i wonder if perhaps some elements of the new menu are making it onto certain routes ahead of the complete introduction?

(It could of course always have been like that!)
Old Jan 9, 18, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
I was looking at a one-way economy fare from LHR-LAX this month and only £1709! For that amount, it better be some, "think of what Samuel L. Jackson would say", ice cream

Introducing ice cream in January doesn't seem the best thing to be honest. Last time I remember having some in Y was on a Virgin Atlantic flight to MCO.
I find Graze products to overpriced for the minimal amount you get, although I will give them credit on the range they do especially if you can select what you want.

As for any snacks in economy, it doesn't really bother me as 99% of the time I refuse them anyway. Happier with my liberated piece of fruit from a lounge (should I not have stuffed myself previously) than some sugary or high carb offering.

Still, a step in the right direction for those who like this sort of thing.
This is well timed for my first Y flight in a year or so to Bangkok at the end of the month - maybe different for you but a piece of fruit from the lounge isn't going to fill me up as an addition to a Y meal on a 12 hour flight! I don't want to have to be thinking about taking extra food with me on a long flight and this sounds like it will fill the hole.

(Also - Never book a one way long haul with cash! Either use avios or just book a return fare (including a Saturday night) and don't use the second flight - LAX showing up as £415 for a return flying Jan 24th (and a number of other Jan dates) coming back on a random date in March, that barely pays for the ice cream alone once taxes are paid!)
Old Jan 9, 18, 7:09 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead View Post
Also worth noting that some of the 'enhanced snacks' will be served on the meal trays for use later in the flight (water bottle and graze box), so do remember to remove them to the seat pocket before the trays are cleared in or you might find you go without - can't see more being loaded!
I think Emirates do/did this. They had a cracker and dip packet wedged between the dishes on the tray. The first time I just ate it along with the meal before I realised it was meant to be eaten later. Most people either ate it or left it on their tray. It was on the menu as mid-flight snack, but most people wouldn't have noticed.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: