CW - no more orange juice on ground?

Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
And this tells us what exactly?
It goes a significant way to refute your supposition that the offering of a PDB on AA domestic F is sporadic.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I've been on 30+ AA domestic sectors in F in 2017 on the full spectrum of aircraft and to/from most (all?) of the hubs, and consistently been offered a PDB every single time.
IME, it is a mixture, crew dependent, on full bar for the majority of flights or pre-poured drinks on a minority of flights, but I have never not been offered one even with a delayed flight that was boarded at the rush. And of course there is the pre-ordering of drinks for when your airborne, which to be fair on my MAN-LHR flight on Wednesday, with a 30 minute flow rate delay, BA did and I can't see any reason this couldn't be rolled out, particularly on short flights.

I do also think that BA could learn a thing or two from the mocktails you get on QR, cost nothing extra to produce except the training of CC and make such a difference to people who don't wish to or are unable to drink alcohol.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:35 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’m astonished this is contemplated as a sensible cost saving - even if an entire carton of juice was wasted per flight, how much would that cost? Probably well under two quid at BA’s volumes.

And how much revenue is there from a CW cabin?

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s been the BA motto NWIFlyer since we lost the previous one, The Worlds Favourite Airline.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
ISTR a discussion here about BA Orange Juice, which reputedly sold at around 0.85 in typical supermarkets.

It’s surely all about the CC trying to do boarding and getting people settled, while at the same time trying (to the best of their abilities) to provide a premium service to BA premium pax. I would like a Buck’s Fizz on boarding, but I never ask as it’s just extra buggeration for already busy CC.

There, I’m an apologist now!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Wow- even on short domestic hops on AA we get a choice of OJ, Water, soda, even booze sometimes These are regional flights on Embraers!!
Presumably domestic runs? With no customs issues to worry about?
It remains the case over here that champagne (and sparkling wine in WTP) are the only alcoholic beverages that are permitted to be opened before take-off.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It goes a significant way to refute your supposition that the offering of a PDB on AA domestic F is sporadic.
Your experience on 30 flights goes a significant way? All they show is that you personally had a consistent experience, but they do not describe or refute everyone else's.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Im astonished this is contemplated as a sensible cost saving - even if an entire carton of juice was wasted per flight, how much would that cost? Probably well under two quid at BAs volumes.
You of course may be right that it's about cost saving, but my first thought was that it was simply not to waste a product. On a recent CE flight I wanted a glass of champagne but did not want for them to open a bottle of champagne just for me because it would be a waste. I obviously did not want to save BA any money, but a waste is waste. That sort of thing.
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It would not even enter my mind that BA opening a bottle for just me is a waste. It’s part of the service. How did you know there would be only one person drinking it and it would be wasted?
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It would not even enter my mind that BA opening a bottle for just me is a waste. It’s part of the service. How did you know there would be only one person drinking it and it would be wasted?
I did not know that. But one can generally see what is going on in the cabin when there are only 4 other people, and one of the four is one's spouse. I asked if they'd have to open a new bottle just for me.
I know it is part of the service. Still, it is a waste if almost the entire bottle gets poured out at the end of the flight. My opinion - not advocating anyone to behave similarly.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Presumably domestic runs? With no customs issues to worry about?
It remains the case over here that champagne (and sparkling wine in WTP) are the only alcoholic beverages that are permitted to be opened before take-off.
Huh? The discussion about eliminating orange juice, not chanpagne. There can be no customs issues about orange juice.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Would that suggest we might get away with sparkling water?
Maybe. But the last time I flew CW they were unable to serve sparkling water. They ran out.
And by last time I don't mean latest time. I mean last time.
After three flights in a row that had serious service issues, I traded up to AF.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:17 pm

I asked for Orange Juice last week on my flight back from Rio and it was no problem at all.

I must admit I have noticed more and more chatting amongst the crew when boarding on short haul flights which I must admit is quite annoying but I can not say I have noticed it on long haul.

Talking of cutbacks Kahlua is no longer carried on board nor is there a grater carried in the galley which seems a bit mean as they can not cost more than a quid and are reusable.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

but people have to know it can be requested!

if the crew said something like I can get you an OJ if youd prefer that would be a different matter.
yes - or, just 1 or 2 glasses of OJ could be loaded onto the tray with the majority being Water or Champagne.

i dont particularly like to drink alchool when flying but I dont just want to be offered water as an alternative. I flew Qatar a few weeks ago who offered freshly squeezed OJ or a lime type drink.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Maybe. But the last time I flew CW they were unable to serve sparkling water. They ran out.
And by last time I don't mean latest time. I mean last time.
After three flights in a row that had serious service issues, I traded up to AF.
If you will have such outrageously extravagant tastes ........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.