Wiki Posts
Search

CW - no more orange juice on ground?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
The discussion about eliminating orange juice
But why discuss elimination of orange juice when it has not happened?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by rickg523
Maybe. But the last time I flew CW they were unable to serve sparkling water. They ran out.
And by last time I don't mean latest time. I mean last time.
After three flights in a row that had serious service issues, I traded up to AF.
Best of luck with your new carrier, browsing their FT pages, it may be a case of the grass is greener, but do let us know how you get on, I’d be interested to hear having not flown with them since a terrible flight from BHX-CDG, but that was 10 years ago now.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navylad

Best of luck with your new carrier, browsing their FT pages, it may be a case of the grass is greener, but do let us know how you get on, I’d be interested to hear having not flown with them since a terrible flight from BHX-CDG, but that was 10 years ago now.

Well it's way OT, but here's the thing. I'm not flogging AF. They're okay and mainly chosen because their scheduling and routes work for me. I like the food better than BA. Service is fine. Crew service was never the issue on BA. It was provisioning and tired hard product.
But I avoid AF A380 service. YMMV, but I also find them a bit tired and I don't get the impression AF is that interested in major refurbishment (this is strictly a supposition based on my experience). The 777 is an excellent flight.
BA would work for me as well, in terms of schedule and route. And in fact I have a pile of Avios that will expire soon. I've held them instead of using them elsewhere because I am hoping for service recovery and the reason I check the BA Forum is to see if it's happening. And frankly, I'm optimistic. The brand itself was starting to seriously erode and I think they've recognized that. So if they get some new hard product, I'll give them a retry.
And now back to OJ.
Did I read the OP correctly? Was "we're in the US" actually given as the reason for not serving oj?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Andriyko
On AA's domestic flights it is usually an open bar for pre-departure beverages, but it is hit or miss if they actually offer any. On international departures it is OJ, champagne and water.
i can add 8 domestic F legs in 2017 to the 30 of Rosmacd. On what data points are you asserting that it is hit and miss?
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Nuster

i can add 8 domestic F legs in 2017 to the 30 of Rosmacd. On what data points are you asserting that it is hit and miss?
Again, I don't understand what anyone's personal experience has anything to do with mine? I have not always got a pre-departure beverage on AA, which includes instances when nothing was offered at all or only water was offered and anything else was refused or when only 2 split bottles of the sparkling wine were loaded for the entire cabin and only a few passengers could get it. That's enough for me to say that it is not done or properly done on all flights. I am sorry I tarnished AA's image, as an airline superior to BA, on the BAEC forum . Of course, AA is better than BA. Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this - there is a very lengthy thread over the AA forum concerning pre-departure beverages, including lack thereof. Your individual data points will add to the discussion there.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:16 am

Your individual data points will add to the discussion there.
As will yours
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
As will yours
But I have no desire to participate in the discussion of PDB on AA. A question was asked within this thread about PDB AA, which I answered and added that it does not happen all the time. That was it as far as I was concerned, but people took issue with the 'does not happen consistently' qualification.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:47 am

Wink

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Oddly, both.
It has been removed from the 'standard offering' to give the crew more time to welcome customers in the cabin rather than pouring juices in the galley (and to prevent wastage as it was the least popular of the three and often didn't get used once prepared), but it is still loaded and crew are encouraged to get it if requested.
It's odd to hear that orange juice is squeezed out. Yet, if it's a time saving option - we need to take it.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
I did not know that. But one can generally see what is going on in the cabin when there are only 4 other people, and one of the four is one's spouse. I asked if they'd have to open a new bottle just for me.
I know it is part of the service. Still, it is a waste if almost the entire bottle gets poured out at the end of the flight. My opinion - not advocating anyone to behave similarly.
Last time I was the only person drinking champagne in CE, the CC member helpfully decanted the rest of the bottle into a plastic glass for me when the fasten seatbelt light came on for landing. Took it away as a 'doggy bag' to drink on the shuttle bus to my hotel...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
But why discuss elimination of orange juice when it has not happened?
Perhaps the phrase "The discussion about 'eliminating the pre-pouring and pro-active offering of orange juice as a PDB, while it still remains available on request for those in the know, who happen to have an on-the-ball crew' " would be more accurate but it's a bit of a mouthful…

For most people, OJ is no longer offered upon boarding. It has been 'enhanced/eliminated', ostensibly for time/wastage reasons.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
But I have no desire to participate in the discussion of PDB on AA. A question was asked within this thread about PDB AA, which I answered and added that it does not happen all the time. That was it as far as I was concerned, but people took issue with the 'does not happen consistently' qualification.
I would agree that it does not happen all the time. In fact there's a whole thread on the AA board dedicated to the when, where and why not of PDBs. I have found it to be more consistent on the regional carriers (so Compass etc.) than on mainline services, and then you have the added confusion of whether it's a legacy US Airways crew etc. I have found it is usually all or nothing. In other words it's either a full bar (so a Bloody Mary on the first flight of the day from LAS to LAX if that's your fancy) or you get nothing at all. The only thing consistent about the AA PDB offering is its inconsistency. Now, where have we heard that before?

Back on topic and to the vexed question of the orange juice, I remember when you used to be able to have apple juice as a PDB. My first op-up to Club was LAX - LHR many years ago and my boss was fairly scathing about my decision to have apple juice rather than champagne!
Andriyko likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

Perhaps the phrase "The discussion about 'eliminating the pre-pouring and pro-active offering of orange juice as a PDB, while it still remains available on request for those in the know, who happen to have an on-the-ball crew' " would be more accurate but it's a bit of a mouthful…

For most people, OJ is no longer offered upon boarding. It has been 'enhanced/eliminated', ostensibly for time/wastage reasons.
I'd rather be accurate that theorize to arrive at the desired conclusion. But this being the BAEC forum I am not surprised that we have eliminated orange juice altogether. I do wonder though how this thread appeared in the first thread - did not the OP ask for orange juice? None was provided, of course, but they did ask for it. Another poster asked for one and received it. I'd think those who have strong preference for orange juice would do the same. I often ask for sparkling wine on AA when none is proactively offered (and often refused for a variety of reasons). I'd keep the discussion to OJ not being proactively offered anymore. But, again, this being BAEC forum we can naturally extend the argument that water and Champagne are next to not be proactively offered, so we might as well extend the discussion to the elimination of those two beverages as well. And since double measure G&Ts are on request too, why don't we eliminate those as well while we're at it?

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I would agree that it does not happen all the time. In fact there's a whole thread on the AA board dedicated to the when, where and why not of PDBs. I have found it to be more consistent on the regional carriers (so Compass etc.) than on mainline services, and then you have the added confusion of whether it's a legacy US Airways crew etc. I have found it is usually all or nothing. In other words it's either a full bar (so a Bloody Mary on the first flight of the day from LAS to LAX if that's your fancy) or you get nothing at all. The only thing consistent about the AA PDB offering is its inconsistency. Now, where have we heard that before?
Some people seem to be uncomfortable with this notion.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:14 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Yes, that’s a good summary of what appears to be happening in practice.

In essence, there’s no big surprise here. It’s the sort of classic chronological pattern that you see in many consumer sector businesses (not only in the airline world ..... although BA are of course particularly skilled at it) which are constantly looking to cut costs.

The various stages within the timeline are familiar :

- it begins with the perspective that a particular item (in this case, a preference for orange juice as a PDB) is not popular

- this becomes the justification to stop pro-actively offering it as an option. You continue to stock the item concerned, but make it available ‘on request’ only

- confusion soon develops amongst staff and the ‘on-request’ option is not communicated - whether intentionally or otherwise - to potential consumers (ie those who show hesitation when faced with the newly-reduced choice on the tray)

- this confusion further manifests itself in some such requests being categorically refused - as experienced by the OP & wife ; and for any staff keen to make their own life that little bit little easier, this is a welcome opportunity

- consumers / passengers gradually give up requesting the item

- senior management says there is no demand for the item, and either stops providing it at all OR carries so little of it that the desired cost saving target is soon achieved.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So what your saying is that we should all ask for it in protest and create a demand?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
So what your saying is that we should all ask for it in protest and create a demand?
You really have missed the point ; whether wilfully or not, I do not know.

I said absolutely nothing about ‘protest’. What I’m actually saying is that if juice had not been eliminated from the PDB tray offering, then the OP (together with, very possibly, many others in the future) would not have missed out on his drink of choice - a drink that he had become accustomed to enjoying, as a premium cabin passenger, with no fuss, and over so many past flights.
DYKWIA and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.