Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
IMPORTANT NOTE - The partnership between Tesco Clubcard and British Airways is ending. Details in this thread: No more Avios from Tesco Clubcard [ends 18th January 2021]

Tesco, the major UK supermarket chain, allows you to convert Tesco Clubcard (CC) points to Avios. The standard earning rate is 1 CC point per £1 spent in store. They convert to Avios in the ratio of 1 CC point to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin miles.

Every quarter, your points are converted to coupons and mailed to you - they can then be converted via the CC website to Avios or Virgin miles. Typically, it takes 1-2 working days for a conversion to BA Avios to complete.

The key to rapidly earning large amounts of Avios is the regular bonus point offers where large amounts of points can be earned. The latest are listed below and discussed within this thread.

The last period for collecting Clubcard points ended on 22 October 2020.

The last day for collecting points in the current quarter is 28 January 2021. Note: The end of the Clubcard / BA partnership means that routine vouchers for points earned in the current quarter will be issued too late for conversion into Avios.

TopCashback (TCB)

You can no longer convert TCB cashback into Clubcard points and onto Avios. Cashback can still be transferred directly to your Avios account at rate of 1p = 1.05 Avios although this is not a great deal (although cheaper than buying them from BA).

Averagely exciting long-running points deals:

150 points on £5 spend on your first Tesco photo order http://www.tescophoto.com/home

Opportunities for FREE points:

Earn 25 points a month doing a customer survey (300 points a year) https://www.tescoviews.com/tesco/desktop/landing.do
Up to 150 points per survey at Shoppers Thoughts https://www.shopperthoughts.com/signup
Recycle your printer cartridges and get 100 points (mixed feedback on this one) https://www.therecyclingfactory.com/tesco/

Everyday points opportunities at Tesco:

- Tesco credit card (discussed in the first post of this thread)
- Tesco instore and online shopping 1 point per £1 http://www.tesco.com/
- Tesco Fuel 1 point per £2 http://www.tescopfs.com/
- Tesco Mobile 1 point per £1 topped up http://www.tescomobile.com/
- Tesco Clothing F&F 1 point per £1 http://www.clothingattesco.com/
- Tesco Pay+ - no current promotions

Points opportunities at Tesco partners:

ESSO - Collect points on fuel and shop goods http://essopoints.co.uk/#how . In general, this ended in June 2019 when Esso changed to the Nectar scheme. However, it is still possible to collect Clubcard points at Esso petrol stations that have a Tesco Express.

Print Wikipost

Tesco and BA master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Amyc78
Been tying myself in knots (I am a mathematical dunce!) trying to decide whether to ditch spending at Tesco on my Tesco credit card and switching my spending there to an Amex to acquire points. I spend about £100 a week at Tesco on fuel and food and have been using my Tesco card for quite some time. Have 36200 avios. So I am gathering from this thread I wouldn't be better off with an Amex? I'd hardly be able to use it on other big spending I'm about to do like dental work and safari as the the companies involved don't take it. From the last time I had an Amex I recall hardly anywhere I spent money apart from supermarkets taking them!
Hi Amy, unless you have the Tesco Premium Credit Card, which is no longer available, the other cards are rubbish. 1 point for £4 which makes 0.6 avios per £1 is not a good deal. The Premium card alone is reasonable: for a £150 fee you get 2.4 avios per £ in Tesco and if you spend £5000 in a year in Tesco, another 12,000 avios; but as I said it's closed if you don't already have that one.

There's a bigger question for you to figure out before making another choice: what do you want to do with your avios. Unless you have unusual travel plans, the best options are shorthaul travel on BA (called reward flight saver) or longhaul business class travel. The latter is more aspirational for most but you'll have to want to travel longhaul (with a partner for the BA Amex to makes sense) and be prepared to pay unavoidable airline fees/taxes of about £1000 for two to do that; you also need of the order of 120,000 avios to do that, but it's not unachievable.

The Amex Gold card is an obvious suggestion. It's free for a year, you get 20,000 points which convert to 20,000 avios for your initial spend, and you can use it to figure out how much you put on Amex. I don't think you'll struggle too much: pretty much any travel, eating out, clothes/electonics/toys shopping will accept Amex.

If you want to go longhaul, after trialling the Amex Gold, get the BA Amex. This has a £195 fee and you have to spend £10,000 in a year to get the 241 voucher, but you can downgrade as soon as you hit that target and get the fee pro-rata refunded.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Amyc78
Been tying myself in knots (I am a mathematical dunce!) trying to decide whether to ditch spending at Tesco on my Tesco credit card and switching my spending there to an Amex to acquire points. I spend about £100 a week at Tesco on fuel and food and have been using my Tesco card for quite some time. Have 36200 avios. So I am gathering from this thread I wouldn't be better off with an Amex? I'd hardly be able to use it on other big spending I'm about to do like dental work and safari as the the companies involved don't take it. From the last time I had an Amex I recall hardly anywhere I spent money apart from supermarkets taking them!
If your looking to collect more Clubcard points then you really need to get yourself the Tesco current account as they are giving 1 point per pound spent in Tescos until May 20. If you buy your groceries in-store then use the Tesco plus app connected to the Tesco current account card for an additional 1 point per £4 spent in-store on top of all the normal points.
A £100 Tesco spend using these routes would get you 225 Clubcard points, avios still converts from Clubcard at 2.4x so using an Amex would only attract 100 avios for that spend. All depends what your saving points for at the end of the day to see individually what's the best route.
Obviously the value would be different if you took out a new Amex card like the Gold credit card as 20,000 MR points for 1k spend, I have bagged the bonus Amex Gold points the reverted back to using the Tesco current account visa card for all Tesco spends. It also gives the usual 1 point per £8 spend outside of Tesco so the same as the normal Tesco MC card.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Tilly71
If your looking to collect more Clubcard points then you really need to get yourself the Tesco current account as they are giving 1 point per pound spent in Tescos until May 20. If you buy your groceries in-store then use the Tesco plus app connected to the Tesco current account card for an additional 1 point per £4 spent in-store on top of all the normal points.
A £100 Tesco spend using these routes would get you 225 Clubcard points, avios still converts from Clubcard at 2.4x so using an Amex would only attract 100 avios for that spend. All depends what your saving points for at the end of the day to see individually what's the best route.
You still get the basic 1pt/£ if you hand over your clubcard and an Amex, and the 0.25pt/£ with the app is available too with an Amex. So that's 125pts on a £100 spend, and 100 avios for the Amex Gold charge for a total of 400 avios. 225pts = 540 avios on the debit card is better (though the rate only appears to be guaranteed until 1 April 19). Do that 50 times with the debit card and you are 7000 avios better off, but I'm not sure I'd run a current account for £70's worth, compared to the Amex Gold sign-up bonus; albeit they aren't mutually exclusive for most.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:40 am

Is anyone still keeping the Tesco Premier Credit Card? I am thinking of closing it since I won't be able to net loads of avios via the Teso Direct website - are they likely to refund me the £150 if I phoned in to cancel it ? I paid the renewal fee about a month ago
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:05 am

Tesco is all but dead and buried for me. Bonus points in their various forms gone, Tesco Direct gone and there’s been a Waitrose in my town since the beginning of the year. At least the F cabins will not be contaminated by Tesco Teds anymore!
dewsburyborn likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Has anyone had any luck getting expired vouchers reinstated? I was out of the UK and was not able to log in to convert to BAEC. It seems Tesco block access unless you are in the UK. Think I lost about £45 in vouchers that expired 31 August.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jase76
Has anyone had any luck getting expired vouchers reinstated? I was out of the UK and was not able to log in to convert to BAEC. It seems Tesco block access unless you are in the UK. Think I lost about £45 in vouchers that expired 31 August.
I failed with this some years ago. However, on another occasion I did get some points reinstated after transfer to Airmiles so I suggest you ring and keep your fingers crossed that you get a sympathetic agent.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Anyone know how long it takes between purchasing an Avios bundle on the Clubcard website and having it credit to your BAEC account? Have a redemption I'd like to make in the next few weeks, only information I can find is that it takes up to 28 days and that's about it.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
I just did this last week and it took about 24 hours to arrive in my avios.com account. I have made transfers before so I don't know if a first time transfer would be as quick.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zsc
Anyone know how long it takes between purchasing an Avios bundle on the Clubcard website and having it credit to your BAEC account? Have a redemption I'd like to make in the next few weeks, only information I can find is that it takes up to 28 days and that's about it.
Purchasing an Avios bundle?

Conversions to miles usually arrive overnight.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:40 am

They usually arrive overnight. However, if you are converting for a large amount, say 200,000, you may get an additional security check on the transaction. In the past they have emailed asking me to telephone to confirm the transaction. In the glory days people on PTS reported additional security checks that seemed to take more time but I never experienced this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:24 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
I converted Clubcard points to BAEC Avios in two chunks, 1x £77 and 1x £44 (second one was because Faster Vouchers take 24 hours to be delivered, so I submitted the earlier order first).

This was Sunday. Still haven't received the miles.

Edit: 29k miles in total converted.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:39 am

Signed up for the Tesco Credit Card to get the bonus 1000 clubcard points and use it for all transactions I cant use the BAPP for///
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Just received an email from Tesco advising that Wine by the Case is closing.

“Hello TravellerFrequently,
We’re writing to let you know that we’ve made the decision to close our Wine by the Case website on 8 October 2018.

But you’ll still be able to buy a wide range of wine on our main website, tesco.com/groceries.You can order up to 36 bottles at a time for delivery – plus you’ll be able to order your groceries at the same time as your wine if you wish.

If you have any questions, please take a look at our FAQs.
Thank you for shopping with Tesco and for using Wine by the Case.

Alessandra Bellini
Chief Customer Officer”

There had not been any recent Clubcard bonus points IME.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Sep 5, 2018 at 5:35 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Just posted the same but beaten to it by TravellerFrequently. Although there has not been any good offers for a while now, what was once a great source of bonus points joins Tesco Direct,

Last edited by MarcD; Sep 5, 2018 at 5:30 am Reason: TravellerFrequently beat me to it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.