Wiki Posts
Search

Operated by Germania?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Operated by Germania?

Hi,
About to book a flight to Tenerife 2702 on 15 Feb and it says its operated by Germania. What can I expect on this flight, there's no Club its all economy but will it be BA staff and usual good service? Its a A319 so will the front few rows have extra legroom or not if they are normally club seats?
Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I've never known them to use this airline before. Is this BA slot sitting on the slots they acquired as I noticed there's a proper BA flight a few hours earlier.

If you've booked a plus fare remember you could switch to the proper BA flight on the day free of charge if reports from other passengers say Germania isn't any good.

However, if you've heard nothing bad about them before you go it might be worth sticking with them. BA normally has complimentary catering on these wet leases rather than BoB.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Yes but the proper BA flight times do not suit us unfortunately. I've never heard of them before, do you know what they are like or what the baggage allowances are? Do you mean it will include a meal? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:54 am

Up until this year they've been operating a Greek program on behalf of various small tour ops - but sold their slot portfolio to Norwegian recently

Standard sort of fit out - there are reviews online. To be honest not really going to be any different to a BA ET flight (lounge, allowances etc will be the same - you'll deal with BA up to the point you are on board

Catering will probably be comp (their flights last summer were) but I would self cater just in case, especially if you want an adult beverage....
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've seen them on the ground but I can't recall flying with them. If it's the usual way this works, it will be Germania's crew, both cabin and flight deck, and no BoB. Therefore they provide free catering in ET. Now I suspect this may not be hugely impressive catering but it's a fairly long flight so I'd imagine a pack of sandwiches and a chocolate bar. Otherwise the same BA policies (baggage allowance, TPs, Avios, lounge access and so on).

Don't forget to write back on what it was like, ideally with a few photos!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, its a A319, do you know if the front few seats are extra legroom as if on a BA A319 in ET where not used by Club or do they have a different seat pitch, need to know whether to book say row 3 or pay more for emergency exits ? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by paulaf
Yes but the proper BA flight times do not suit us unfortunately. I've never heard of them before, do you know what they are like or what the baggage allowances are? Do you mean it will include a meal? Thanks
The baggage allowances will be same as BA. The flight is not a Germania scheduled flight that BA has a codeshare on, but rather one that is wet leased to BA. So it's a Germania crew, but will be working to the instructions given by BA. This is why they usually give their complimentary offering on these flights to keep things straightforward.

No idea what the food offered will be, I'm hoping other people will know about this. Surely c-w-s has flown them at least once! EDIT (I see he hasn't)

Last edited by layz; Jan 6, 2018 at 12:04 pm Reason: ...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
I wonder if this is just opportunism to provide extra capacity for the February half term rush, or if this will be a more permanent arrangement for the summer alongside Titan.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm struggling to understand the baggage allowances, the dummy booking refers me to see "Other Airlines" but of course Germania are not listed, so does it revert ti 23kg as the code is BA2702? What about hand baggage as Germania is only 6kg?

Its a A319, do you know if the front few seats are extra legroom as if on a BA A319 in ET where not used by Club or do they have a different seat pitch, need to know whether to book say row 3 or pay more for emergency exits ? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:15 pm

I’ll srick my neck out (having actually flown Germania - not surprising from my home base) and confirm you’ll actually have a better experience than BA ET.

Better leg room for sure. They have 2 types of seat (that I know about) - a dark grey and a light grey. The comfort on the dark grey is pretty good. The light grey not as good - more like BA ET. Crews are pretty decent on the whole - I’m sure they’ll enjoy operating under BA codes.

Overall, enjoy the experience - you won’t be worse off that I can guarantee.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - what rows are the better dark grey seats in please?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm struggling to understand the baggage allowances, the dummy booking refers me to see "Other Airlines" but of course Germania are not listed, so does it revert ti 23kg as the code is BA2702? What about hand baggage as Germania is only 6kg?
As mentioned above, it's the same BA allowances. This is not a codeshare or a joint venture, it's a lease and BA's normal rules apply. The baggage rules of BA mainline fleet apply. It will identical to the baggage allowance on the BA metal services going to TFS or anywhere else in Europe, so 23 or 32 kgs depending on status for checked luggage, usual BA rules for cabin luggage. You can't use the Germania website and read it across, it's not the way it works.

I did come across some seat plans, they may not be accurate, but from the look of them only row 10 has extra leg room.
Eva Airways 747 Seat Map Pictures to Pin on Pinterest - ThePinsta
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I need 23kg! What about hand luggage - also BA not the 6kg????
Maybe I'm safer booking an exit row then.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:20 pm

Thanks - what rows are the better dark grey seats in please?
Sorry I should have been clearer - there are two types of seats fitted to the full aircraft, so you will get light grey on on aircraft and dark grey on another. There is not a mix of seats one a single aircraft.

I think you are over-thinking this to be honest - just imagine you are on a BA plane but the crew will wear a different uniform and there will be no BoB.
IAMORGAN and aidy like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:23 pm

Thanks I need 23kg! What about hand luggage - also BA not the 6kg????
It's identical to BA's usual limits, so hand luggage is 23 kgs in theory, what you can lift in practice, 2 bags, sizes as per MMB.

[Could someone else have a go? I don't appear to be expressing myself very clearly!]
IAMORGAN and rossmacd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.