FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Jumbo Jet nostalgia (Telegraph article) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1886615-jumbo-jet-nostalgia-telegraph-article.html)

Amygdala28 Jan 6, 2018 6:25 am

Jumbo Jet nostalgia (Telegraph article)

An article in the Telegraph on the slow demise of the beloved Jumbo Jet might be of interest to some readers here.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/slow-death-747-where-are-they-now/
The relevance to this forum is that BA has the largest remaining fleet.

noFODplease Jan 6, 2018 6:35 am

Nice to get the latest figures.

Has anyone else spotted the errant Antonov in there...

AussieDreaming Jan 6, 2018 7:15 am

"Cathay has 20" - I don't think so!

flatlander Jan 6, 2018 7:35 am

Originally Posted by AussieDreaming (Post 29257379)

They have 20 747 freighers. 6 747-400F and 14 747-8F.

rather_be_on_a_griffin Jan 6, 2018 7:36 am

Cathay’s cargo operation has 20, probably where it comes from

dddc Jan 6, 2018 7:37 am

No longer used for passenger flights, but if Wikipedia and other sources are correct,still used by their cargo arm.

themax Jan 6, 2018 11:14 am

About 1,500 Boeing 747s were ever built. About 500 are still flying, but increasingly the use is for cargo. Not a single North American carrier now uses the 747 for passenger travel (the last was a Delta flight a few days ago).

mjack99 Jan 6, 2018 11:31 am

They cannot demise quick enough for me. Getting way too many of them lately.

ratechaser Jan 6, 2018 11:57 am

Always loved being on a 747 to/from the Caribbean, or anywhere else where you get to use steps rather than an airbridge. Magnificent beasts. Think my Easter flights to MBJ with Virgin will give me that pleasure again...

And at the risk of straying OT on the BA board, the Virgin J layout in the nose of their old LHR 747s was definitely one of my favourites. Acres of aisle space!

T8191 Jan 6, 2018 12:05 pm

Nostalgia? No, it’s just a big aircraft.

Upper Deck on BA... yes, we will miss that.

ppp909 Jan 6, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease (Post 29257277)
Nice to get the latest figures.

Has anyone else spotted the errant Antonov in there...

I spotted it. Now that's an amazing plane.

I'm less nostalgic than most here, but I've only ever flown the upper deck once and that was on QF.

FrancisA Jan 6, 2018 1:20 pm

Two things strike me here - since the introduction of the 747 nearly 50 years ago airline speeds have got no faster and what progress there has been has revolved around fuel efficiency and passenger density.

You could argue that both result from the fuel crisis of the mid-70s which put fuel efficiency on the agenda.

However, it also seems to me that airline design must be a pretty larthegic business, if the current iteration of a 50 year old design really is not worse than any modern design and in many ways better.

To my mind much of this is down to how airlines fit out planes, but I personally really enjoy F and UD CW on BA’s 747s. I have absolutely no fondness for F or CW on 777s, A380, 757s, or 767s. I’ve not tried 787s, but I can’t imagine it is a better experience that a 747.

The shame about this are so many idiots crave the new for novelty’s sake that this skews business decisions and leads to the better option being discontinued. It’s a shame that the latest 747-900s (?) didn’t cut it in the market. Now we are doomed to an endless cycle of fashion chasing nonsense, like you get in the pub industry. This week XYZ’s business seat will be so good it bets anyone’s F; next week it will be passé. Meanwhile, perfectly good airframes will be sitting in deserts awaiting scrapage.

londonsmiler Jan 6, 2018 2:35 pm

Does anyone have any experinces of touring the "graveyards". We are traveling from California to Arizona next month and I see there is one in Mojave that you can drive past to view from the road but more excitingly you can get a tour of the one in Tucson (Tour Boneyard)

We were planning to stay North of phoenix (grand canyon, monument valley - yes I know it will be cold) but now I'm wondering if it's worth a slight change of plans to try to make it down to Tucson...

highpeaklad Jan 6, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA (Post 29258518)
Two things strike me here - since the introduction of the 747 nearly 50 years ago airline speeds have got no faster and what progress there has been has revolved around fuel efficiency and passenger density.

You could argue that both result from the fuel crisis of the mid-70s which put fuel efficiency on the agenda.

However, it also seems to me that airline design must be a pretty larthegic business, if the current iteration of a 50 year old design really is not worse than any modern design and in many ways better.

To my mind much of this is down to how airlines fit out planes, but I personally really enjoy F and UD CW on BA’s 747s. I have absolutely no fondness for F or CW on 777s, A380, 757s, or 767s. I’ve not tried 787s, but I can’t imagine it is a better experience that a 747.

The shame about this are so many idiots crave the new for novelty’s sake that this skews business decisions and leads to the better option being discontinued. It’s a shame that the latest 747-900s (?) didn’t cut it in the market. Now we are doomed to an endless cycle of fashion chasing nonsense, like you get in the pub industry. This week XYZ’s business seat will be so good it bets anyone’s F; next week it will be passé. Meanwhile, perfectly good airframes will be sitting in deserts awaiting scrapage.

Airlines don’t buy new for novelty’s sake, they do it for sound economic reasons. A new interior can be put into an old plane but extensive maintenance checks are needed as the airframe ages so it becomes uneconomic to do so. I’m sure BA could keep the 747 flying for a lot longer, but the huge cost of airworthiness checks and their poorer fuel consumption means it just isn’t worth it.

thebigben Jan 6, 2018 2:47 pm

I remember seeing those as a kid, when they were quite new, and dreaming of going on the upper deck. I guess I'll have to book that trip in CW sooner rather than later.