Search

Adverts on Print Your Own Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:59 am
gms
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Adverts on Print Your Own Boarding Pass

I know that BA has been putting ads on BPs for many years now, but having just printed off a couple where an ad for some useless "online staff leave planner" takes up one-third of the page and includes a solid blue box that takes up one-sixth of the page I'm getting a bit annoyed by them. I'm paying for the ink/toner, not BA, so if they're going to put ads on BPs, can they not at least give some guidance to the advertisers to avoid such annoying and wasteful designs? It may sound a bit petty, but I don't see why I should be wasting my ink on ads that BA is earning money from (and doesn't itself print on the BPs it issues!).

Just to pre-empt the usual barrage of replies, I do sometimes use the mobile/app BP, but when travelling with family members find it easier to use the printed version. Also, sometimes I know that my phone may be getting low on battery by the end of the day and I don't want to be that annoying git who holds everyone up in the queue when they find they can't unlock or power on their phone. Almost as annoying as people who use their phone to tap-in/out on the tube which invariably takes 5 times longer than everyone else using a contactless card [Rant over ]
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Mildly annoying, I admit. A quick application of the paper trimmer saves me carrying them around, though
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I think I used to use the print 'seclection' only option and highlight the BP minus all the ad junk at the bottom?

PS I say used to, but the BA android app hasn't worked for months so I'm back to PDF's and may well go back to paper at any point.

Last edited by bhbloke; Jan 5, 2018 at 4:43 am Reason: Added PS
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:44 am

You could always try cutting and pasting the actual pass sections together using a suitable application (mspaint would probably do) before printing out. It all depends on whether your time is more valuable than ink/toner.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Couldn't agree more, on several occasions I have had to print the BP out and found the printer is low on Magenta or Moroccan Blue or some other colour the kids are swallowing on an industrial scale and the BP just wont print!

Now, I remove everything except the BP details in Word just before printing...takes 10 seconds and makes me feel like I'm sticking it to the man!

I could buy a better phone (with an APP which actually works), but that annoys me more than the adverts!
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:50 am

Some airline has an option to prin with or without ads. Is it AA?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Some airline has an option to print with or without ads. Is it AA?
Yes, AA allow you to print without the guff
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:22 am
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Mildly annoying, I admit. A quick application of the paper trimmer saves me carrying them around, though
It's not the paper that bothers me, just the annoyance of it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gms
It may sound a bit petty, but I don't see why I should be wasting my ink on ads that BA is earning money from (and doesn't itself print on the BPs it issues!).
When I need a PYOBP, I try to it them on a monochrome laser printer.

Normally, though, I try to use BA's paper and ink/toner whenever feasible.
steve170461 and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:26 am
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Some airline has an option to prin with or without ads. Is it AA?
Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
Yes, AA allow you to print without the guff
Interesting. So some airlines actually give the customer choice. Whereas BA just wants to make the last penny out of every customer whether it annoys them or not!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
There are adds on home-printed boarding passes now? Didn't notice that one.

BTW: Set your printer to black-and-white if you don't need the BP in colour.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
This annoys me as well. My printer, my ink, my time. Yes, I can have it on my mobile, but again, that's my power and download limit I have to use.

If I have to print out a boarding pass at home I'll use something like the snipping tool to cut out the adds. But then when I get to the airport and use the self service machines or check in desk, I'll ask for a new boarding pass anyway.

If the time ever comes where they actually offer either a discount or Avios for using my resources, then I'll be happier. Businesses aren't a charity, but neither am I.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ppp909
You could always try cutting and pasting the actual pass sections together using a suitable application (mspaint would probably do) before printing out. It all depends on whether your time is more valuable than ink/toner.
why it is customer's job to save the planet (save money) when the boarding pass issuer could do it before they boarding pass is issued? And this company has the guts to sell you the option of offset your own carbon footprint?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by frenzie01
Get q smartphone. They are great!
The OP may well have one. But:-
Originally Posted by gms
... I don't want to be that annoying git who holds everyone up in the queue when they find they can't unlock or power on their phone. Almost as annoying as people who use their phone to tap-in/out on the tube which invariably takes 5 times longer than everyone else using a contactless card
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as BA provide other alternatives then you can't blame them for selling advertising space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.