Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BED BUGS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Wouldn't having well-sealing hard cases (Samsonite Aeris type, for instance, as it has sealing rubber around it - it's almost airtight, although not quite, and the standard model doesn't even come with internal fabric lining) and putting all soft items (like clothes) into sealed plastic bags prevent it from getting infected by virtue of restricted access?
It is the "almost airtight" where these bugs win....
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HMPS
It is the "almost airtight" where these bugs win....
But surely they'd be able to keep (at least most of) them out?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are bed bugs a modern problem? I'm 61 been about a fair bit and slept in places you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy yet haven't come across the little blighters. Maybe they don't like economy cabins and budget accommodation?
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Are bed bugs a modern problem? I'm 61 been about a fair bit and slept in places you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy yet haven't come across the little blighters. Maybe they don't like economy cabins and budget accommodation?
an age old problem that has reemerged. Try google and bedbugs New York hotel and enjoy.

its still not funny - they are nt cabin specific and if you have experienced them or cockroaches on planes it's no joking matter.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by scillyisles

The op said the seat was infested so given that the female bed bug lays about 200 eggs at 3 or 4 per day, the bed bugs must have been there some considerable time for the seat to be infested.

The word must is a bit strong, it is perfectly possible that several were transported onto the seat at one go, by one of the seat occupants which could have happened anytime from a few days before up to an including the OP.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DFB_london
its still not funny - they are nt cabin specific and if you have experienced them or cockroaches on planes it's no joking matter.
Aren't cockroaches much easier to kill than bed bugs though? We have cockroach fumigators sold in supermarkets in various parts of the world and they are said to be very effective, although I have not used one as I have not had any need. I haven't heard of quick and simple method of eliminating bed bugs like that though.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by navylad
The word must is a bit strong, it is perfectly possible that several were transported onto the seat at one go, by one of the seat occupants which could have happened anytime from a few days before up to an including the OP.
Hmm unless you were there I am not sure what basis you have to implicate that the original poster was exaggerating. Did you actually read the original post? Just to help you infestation is defined as “the presence of an unusually large number of insects or animals in a place, typically so as to cause damage or disease.”
The op states he suffered multiple bites on the head, neck, hand and abdomen. The cabin crew reported that he saw a LOT of them on the seat and the op was moved to another seat. The cabin crew also filed an onboard report about the bugs. All of these seem to point to a serious issue which corroborate the use of the infestation word.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Hmm unless you were there I am not sure what basis you have to implicate that the original poster was exaggerating. Did you actually read the original post? Just to help you infestation is defined as “the presence of an unusually large number of insects or animals in a place, typically so as to cause damage or disease.”
The op states he suffered multiple bites on the head, neck, hand and abdomen. The cabin crew reported that he saw a LOT of them on the seat and the op was moved to another seat. The cabin crew also filed an onboard report about the bugs. All of these seem to point to a serious issue which corroborate the use of the infestation word.

no I was not there and neither were you, but from what he writes he saw two, one on his pillow and then one under his shirt collar, which they described as an infestation and so we do have to take all reports with a pinch of salt before we can start using words such as ‘must’. Given your ascertion that if it had been like that for days, BA no doubt will receive multiple complaints from all of the seat users, but this may be less ifa multiple of the critters were carried onboard by one seat user don’t you agree?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The word must is a bit strong, it is perfectly possible that several were transported onto the seat at one go, by one of the seat occupants ....including the OP.
sure, the bests could have been brought onboard by the OP, so the infestation was down to him.

That seems a bizarre proposition, even for an arch-promoter of BA's ability to do no wrong
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
sure, the bests could have been brought onboard by the OP, so the infestation was down to him.

That seems a bizarre proposition, even for an arch-promoter of BA's ability to do no wrong
thats not what I said, please desist with quote mining.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 7, 2018 at 4:57 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:45 am

no I was not there and neither were you, but from what he writes he saw two, one on his pillow and then one under his shirt collar, which they described as an infestation and so we do have to take all reports with a pinch of salt before we can start using words such as ‘must’. Given your ascertion that if it had been like that for days, BA no doubt will receive multiple complaints from all of the seat users, but this may be less ifa multiple of the critters were carried onboard by one seat user don’t you agree?
Thank you for admitting that you have no basis to question the ops description perhaps it might be better then not to imply that the op was exaggerating. In your response you seem to ignore the cabin crew member saying that there were LOTS of THEM on the seat. Given that the op had killed one and caught another underneath his shirt collar in the toilet and that these two could therefore not be included in the LOTS of them on the seat, simple maths and deductive reasoning would lead to the not unreasonable conclusion that the use of the word infestation is justified.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:52 am

Thank you for admitting that you have no basis to question the ops description perhaps it might be better then not to imply that the op was exaggerating. In your response you seem to ignore the cabin crew member saying that there were LOTS of THEM on the seat. Given that the op had killed one and caught another underneath his shirt collar in the toilet and that these two could therefore not be included in the LOTS of them on the seat, simple maths and deductive reasoning would lead to the not unreasonable conclusion that the use of the word infestation is justified.
‘Lots’ from a third party could mean a variety of things, but as I am saying, whilst it is of course possible that they had been onboard for weeks as you imply, biting everyone and nobody reporting it or complaining, we can’t say that for certain so to say must is a bit strong, Perhaps it would be better to use the words such as likely, possibly and maybe instead for the sake of clarity in your point.

incidentally, by your definition one bed bug is an infestation since it is an unusual number for an airplane seat and since it causes bites it causes disease.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 7, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

thats not what I said, please dosest with misquoting.
The quoting seemed accurate, if abbreviated for effect.

Forgive me if i misunderstood your message - which I took as suggesting the beasts cold have brought on board by the OP
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The quoting seemed accurate, if abbreviated for effect.

Forgive me if i misunderstood your message - which I took as suggesting the beasts cold have brought on board by the OP
apology accepted and no, I don’t wish to imply that, whilstit is possible it is more likely that they were brought onboard within up to 48 hours before hand I suspect, but possible longer, who knows.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA, Bonvoy, ALL
Is it on a 747? A friend of mine had a similar experience on her flight from LHR - CPT early December last year and unfortunately she didn't realise it until she got to the hotel to noticed all the marks in the shower.
I encouraged her to complain directly to BA but her work insisted on complaining via their travel office..anyway, I doubt she got any compensation in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.