Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BED BUGS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by 710 77345
But it would be possible for BA to take the affected seats out of service at a reasonable cost - I don't think it's reasonable for people to be paid to fly back on the return flight on the seat that the airline knows to be infected.
i don’t think there is any suggestion they did. AFAIK, the seat and often the adjacent seat (if it is a pair) are blocked out until there is sufficient time to take the plane out of Service to deal with the issue, expensive business.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Whatever the infestation may be, it is not bed bugs. These are microscopic and present in most bedding and mattresses. They are a part of everyday life in the same way as bacteria.

in this case it seems to be some form of insect infestation that may or may not be malevolent. I agree BA should be prompt in addressing concerns, but may also be overwhelmed at the moment rerouting people.
I believe you are confusing bed bugs with dust mites.

An infestation of bed bugs is a very serious matter. Eradicating bed bugs from a home can cost many thousands of dollars, along with the destruction of a lot of one's posessions.

I would prioritize taking an aircraft out of service to deal with a bed bug infestation ahead of rerouting people.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:21 pm

What time was your flight, OP?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm not sure routine treatment is a good idea. There is always the potential for problems from the chemicals used, and it may reduce the effectiveness when they're actually needed.
What is needed is fast response and effective treatment when they are found.
I'm sure we can rely on BA for that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:17 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
I’m more concerned that the plane I’m on is infested with passengers that think this is no cause for concern or there’s nothing they should do about it. 🤢

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I unfortunately have run into bedbugs in hotels more than once, and have therefore become a bit of an expert. In order for an infestation to get to the point described by the OP they would have had to have been there for a while, and BA should have caught it earlier.

It's probably too late now, but if you aren't home yet, put all your clothes, carry-on, everything they could hide in into sealable plastic bags before entering your home. Inspect and clean stuff like electronics. For clothing and anything else that's dryer safe, high heat is the best way to kill the little buggers and their eggs. Toss them in the dryer on the highest setting for at least an hour. That should make sure you aren't carrying them home with you.

I wonder if heat might be the way to go for planes? It's very expensive to seal off and heat up a room or house to the needed temp, but airplanes can seal themselves already. I dare say there would be a problem with some of the electronics, don't know how difficult that would be to workaround.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by T8191
Good money spinner for the Lawyers. The People v. Bed Bugs. That would run to the US Supreme Court, the European Court of Justice etc.

Who is going to defend the bugs’ right to exist?
The Gate Lice, as some people seems to refer to people with less shiny cards??? :-)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Brzlian1
I have been severely bitten on the head, neck, hand and abdomen on a Business Class seat from JFK to LHR on 12/21. I was able to kill one of the bugs on my pillow before going to the bathroom to remove/inspect all my clothes and caught another one hiding under my shirt's collar. I immediately reported the infestation, showed the bites and the dead bed bug to the flight attendants. One of them went to the seat with a flashlight and came back horrified saying he saw a lot of "mites" on the seat and instructed not to go back there, as if I would. They proceeded to file an on-board report and said that I would be contacted in 48 hours. I also filed a complaint online with pictures, including a picture of the on-board report, and I'm appalled that no one from customer service has even acknowledged the case. It's a complete lack of respect to their customers. I wonder what one must do to get British Airways attention and hopefully avoid something like that from happening to other passengers.
Awful, awful experience. Do check your belongings as it is possible the nasty critters hitched a ride on your clothes, shoes, or cabin baggage when you boarded the aircraft.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be fair to BA experiences of bed bugs found on their aircraft reported on this forum pales into insignificance compared to the number of complaints regarding the lack of a personal greeting from cabin crew to Gold card holders.
The OP was most unlucky.
Yes OP was most unfortunate. I don't think making light of his situation ( I assume a tongue in cheek) for the sake of being fair to BA is proper. I suppose the old adage of only the person whose shoe pinches knows the pain is very true. Two exchanges of meaningless words or ridiculous attempt to offer a paltry comp. would send me to Small Claims Court.

Op, two weeks is more than sufficient.

A thing I learnt when I spent manya nights in hotel rooms:

To make sure you don't bring home these nasty guests, DO NOT PLACE your bags etc on the bed to unpack or pack.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be fair to BA experiences of bed bugs found on their aircraft reported on this forum pales into insignificance compared to the number of complaints regarding the lack of a personal greeting from cabin crew to Gold card holders.
The OP was most unlucky.
G-ZBKA has some sort of biting parasite issues on it and unless you have experienced bed bugs, cockroaches (Sri Lanka airlines in my experience) fleas and other joys I'd suggest the comments above are a childish belittling of a serious issue.

As Dave_C suggests up thread some responses on here reflect more on their posters than the issue the OP raises (yet again)
Dave_C and HMPS like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It's time to stop being politically correct and overly sensitive to some peoples' hurt feelings. There is a worldwide surge in bedbugs in part because of the restricted the use of the insecticides which were effective but were abused in jurisdictions where they were easily available and not subject to controlled and targeted use. We cannot go back to widespread use, but we can use safely under controlled circumstances. If some people are upset, they need not use the airline. The issue is that some countries can't follow pesticide instructions and we see that with antibiotics which were handed out like candy in some countries creating superbugs.
Chronic Bedbug infections also reflect poor cleanliness standards despite the assertions to the contrary. Current bed bug philosophy in the EU and North America (excluding Mexico) is similar to that of of head lice where we are told it is "normal" and that children should not be excluded. The "experts" have discounted the emotional trauma and strain inflicted on those who do not have body lice or bed bugs and who are forced to associate with infested subjects. It has to be all inclusive now. Well, despite some of the dismissive nature of several responses, this issue is of serious concern to many passengers.

The reality is that BA serves countries and hubs where bedbugs are endemic and those countries provide a reservoir of reinfestation. Too many people would be up in arms if all baggage and aircraft entering from these hot spots were subject to treatment/screening. We do it for hard goods and produce entering from those regions without protest. Appreciably, it would present a logistics nightmare, however, it is possible to pre-treat and clean seats after servicing the regions. It is not difficult to screen. There are animals which are able to pick up the scent of the bugs and they are used successfully in hotels, schools, hospitals movie theaters etc.

BA has a documented problem with bedbugs and has not acted appropriately. It needs a PR crisis to compel and force it to act. If the issue continues to be ignored and downplayed, that problem will occur, but only after thousands of BA customers are caused stress and emotional trauma.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Whatever the infestation may be, it is not bed bugs. These are microscopic and present in most bedding and mattresses. They are a part of everyday life in the same way as bacteria.

Nonsense.

You're confusing dust mites (Pyroglyphidae) with bed bugs (Cimicidae). Mites are arachnids, bed bugs are insects. Dust mites are near-ubiquitous but not visible to the naked eye, though you often see scary magnified photos of them: exposed adult bed bugs are easily seen.

Bed bugs are parasites that feed on human blood, mites make a feast out of skin debris and fungus.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Bed bugs on BA, tough luck, they think it is normal. Its probably a monthly occurrence for this third world airline. You'll get the same response that you will get from a roach motel.
In the meantime you should tell us what time was your flight, so we can locate and avoid the aircraft. Coz they are not going to do anything, they don't care.

This incident should be a minimum of $10k reimbursement, in my book.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Dave_C
What planet are people on? This is utterly disgusting and if it had been me, I'd be mortified. BA absolutely need to get back to the OP and offer a fulsome apology, but also significant compensation. If it were me, I'd have expected the offer a free Club World flight as recompense.

Whilst clearly it's not within BA's control, its distressing and they need to make this right. To the OP, give them one more week, and if you've got all of the photos, go to the media.
yes it is a diff complaint to my peanuts were cold.

did you move to a J or better seat?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You're confusing Pyroglyphidae with Cimicidae.
I am sure I had to proselytise on this common confusion in my final exams some decades ago. Are you Dr Clarke by any chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.