Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS - Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
I think trying to second-guess the SSSS algorithm is a waste of time
Indeed, flying in/out of the US abot 15-20x/yr I probably get 1/yr - but very randomly. There maybe an underlying 'flag', but suspect for the vast majority it will be random.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by CKBA
Looking forward to my SSSS today - traveling alone, HBO - ready to spew the contents of my bags everywhere - and with a 1:05 connect time... . :-) (T5A to T5B: flight connections or first wing?)
With such a short connection I think the flight connections route is the most prudent option.

Originally Posted by CKBA
Indeed, flying in/out of the US abot 15-20x/yr I probably get 1/yr - but very randomly. There maybe an underlying 'flag', but suspect for the vast majority it will be random.
I've only ever been selected twice, once in 2010 and once last year. I suspect you are correct in that becoming a 'selectee' is a mostly random event.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:02 am

I think it comes in 'waves' mostly - for me, in any case.

2018 entries into the US was becoming ridiculous where I was selected for SSSS close to 75% of the time (possibly more). It got the the point where it would be easier for me to provide my own rubber gloves . It culminated in a rather invasive immigration interview(/interrogation) at both LHR and JFK in December 2018, which I would rather not repeat. I had quite some travel to 'interesting' countries in 2018 which I am assuming helped increase my visibility to DHS, particularly referencing these countries in the two interviews.

2019 has been much better, probably running at about 25% of entries to the US attracting SSSS which I think is about normal, about 4 times so far this year. I expect at least one more between now and year end - I have 3 more US trips to go.

I think there is a urban myth that GE reduces likelihood of avoiding SSSS, which is not true.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I think there is a urban myth that GE reduces likelihood of avoiding SSSS, which is not true.
Correct: GE, GC, Gov employee - no difference...
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:33 pm

Has anyone had an upgrade when SSSS was issued?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Yes - they took my passport and boarding pass away, went thru SSSS and then when I was given my passport back it had a new WTP boarding pass instead of WT. Happy days.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
Has anyone had an upgrade when SSSS was issued?
Yes, being somewhat of a SSSS magnet myself, I have still ben upgraded. Twice I think J to F with SSSS, if I remember correctly.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am suffering a lot with the SSSS issue whenever I start my trip in CAI connecting to US via LHR!

Is there any solution to stop that?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am suffering a lot with the SSSS issue whenever I start my trip in CAI connecting to US via LHR!

Is there any solution to stop that?
Don’t go to CAI!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by KARFA
Don’t go to CAI!
Do you recommend any other destination around that region (MENA) where you can get a business class fare to north america for about USD$ 1750 ?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Do you recommend any other destination around that region (MENA) where you can get a business class fare to north america for about USD$ 1750 ?
If we knew that, we'd be starting at that place instead! I have had the same issues with CAI, but oddly, I find the CBP agents are even more suspicious about IST. But geopolitics is ... in flux.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Originally Posted by Leeski
Yes - they took my passport and boarding pass away, went thru SSSS and then when I was given my passport back it had a new WTP boarding pass instead of WT. Happy days.
Upgraded into a seat next to a man in a suit wearing sunglasses and an earpiece, no doubt!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:35 am

Positive Experience

I have an open jaw mixed class flight into ORD from London and out of MSY. Flew the ORD sector yesterday and got the dreaded SSSS. Took your advice gave my partner the carry on and took myself to the gate staff to identify as a SSSS candidate. They checked the boarding card and confirmed I was indeed special. It beeped again and I said surely not an upgrade? Yes indeed upgraded WTP to Club!!! Hubby too! He was called to the front of group 1 and I went down for screening. There were 43 on our A380 to be screened so getting in first was great and the screening comprised 2 swabs, hands and shoes. 30 seconds and then on to the aircraft with the pre boards! Excellent experience. Hubby and I were either side of the bassinet seats which were occupied by mum dad and a charming child who played pat a cake over and on the divider screen with me until she went to sleep for at least 4 hours.
The doomed and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Recent SSSS. I noticed there was a reason code written down which, for me, was “S”. Any idea what that means? I think someone else was “R”. Seemed like most selectees were on the upper deck of 747
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I'm on a permanent SSSS ( able to hold multiple US visa's at once and them knowing I have multiple passports from 2 different countries puts me on the 'lets just check, and let's go to a little room for a chat" list upon arrival in the US) The extra screening at the gate is by far the easiest part. As said by others make sure your devices are charged up and switched on( but locked) as they always want to see it's a working device.d.

If anyone's really worried about you then you'll be met by someone from Special Branch at some point as you transit the airport and the SSSS people will be the last of your concerns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.