Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by layz
We need NCL and MAN back
+1 for MAN.

One of my friends is a TA and she gets no end of folk from Northern England wanting to fly out of MAN to destinations served by BA out of LGW, mostly Longhaul, but sometimes RAK, etc.

It's a particular problem for the early bank of leisure longhaul departures out LGW - it means either a hideously early start out of MAN and squeaky bum timing, or travelling down the previous night and staying over. BA definitely lose some business here.

Even getting down on the train to Gatwick from this neck of the woods is miserable if you have luggage - at one point there were direct trains (even if they were a bit slow and went around the houses), then those got stopped but it was still possible with one change at Milton Keynes or Watford, but now it's either across London (with luggage), or change at Milton Keynes and Clapham Jn/East Croydon.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Ldnn1
I still do not agree with your use of the word 'struggling' . To me that gives the impression of not coping or having a coherent plan to resolve things.
We will just have to disagree amicably.

To those who are wanting the re-introduction of certain domestic services I personally cannot see it happening. I do not believe the yields or margins are there anymore.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to so them return but the economic case for doing so isn't convincing.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Ldnn1
I still do not agree with your use of the word 'struggling' . To me that gives the impression of not coping or having a coherent plan to resolve things.
We will just have to disagree amicably.

To those who are wanting the re-introduction of certain domestic services I personally cannot see it happening. I do not believe the yields or margins are there anymore.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to so them return but the economic case for doing so isn't convincing.
The economic case for buying Monarch slots which get taken away after a season because they weren't used the required 80% (?) of the time also isn't convincing!

So expect to see flights from Gatwick to Blackbushe if that is what it takes to keep the slots.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Advertising campaign on the screens at Waterloo Station tonight - highlighting fares in Europe from Gatwick. Apparently "The only way to Fly" according to BA 🤔.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Today's BA2956 Gatwick to Glasgow was operated by NEOS Spa airlines (aircraft I-NEOW a 737-800).

No club cabin, and all passengers were served a Cheese croissant with tea, coffee and Orange juice, with the Italian crew offering "anything else?", not sure what this offer consisted of, but beer was visible in the trolley, but a 6.10am departure and driving around Glasgow all day put me off drinking. The First lounge was also open at 5.15am instead of the advertised 7am, which was an unexpected pleasure.

Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by GK1981
Today's BA2956 Gatwick to Glasgow was operated by NEOS Spa airlines (aircraft I-NEOW a 737-800).

No club cabin, and all passengers were served a Cheese croissant with tea, coffee and Orange juice, with the Italian crew offering "anything else?", not sure what this offer consisted of, but beer was visible in the trolley, but a 6.10am departure and driving around Glasgow all day put me off drinking. The First lounge was also open at 5.15am instead of the advertised 7am, which was an unexpected pleasure.
Hi,

I believe the First lounge now opens at 515am in any case but the food from the menu only starts at 7am

Regards

TBS

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 10, 2018 at 4:18 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Originally Posted by GK1981

Hi,

I believe the First lounge now opens at 515am in any case but the food from the menu only starts at 7am

Regards

TBS
I think you are right as I didn't see any menus laid out. I just grabbed a quick breakfast from the buffet and a coffee then shuffled down to the gate.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 10, 2018 at 4:19 pm Reason: repair quotation/attribution
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
+1 for MAN.

One of my friends is a TA and she gets no end of folk from Northern England wanting to fly out of MAN to destinations served by BA out of LGW, mostly Longhaul, but sometimes RAK, etc.

It's a particular problem for the early bank of leisure longhaul departures out LGW - it means either a hideously early start out of MAN and squeaky bum timing, or travelling down the previous night and staying over. BA definitely lose some business here.

Even getting down on the train to Gatwick from this neck of the woods is miserable if you have luggage - at one point there were direct trains (even if they were a bit slow and went around the houses), then those got stopped but it was still possible with one change at Milton Keynes or Watford, but now it's either across London (with luggage), or change at Milton Keynes and Clapham Jn/East Croydon.
From may the new direct train from Peterborough to LGW starts.So from MAN you can do a 1 stop at Peterborough.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:09 am

+1 for MAN.

Sadly these folks are likely to be disappointed. When I flew the 737 at LGW Manchester was our biggest money losing route. The reasons for this are complex and it can be argued BA contributed to those reasons in their desperate flailings whilst trying to cut costs. However, the core reason is straightforward; domestic flights with a high connection load generate very little revenue for the domestic sector.

Unless those wishing for a connection are willing to pay a premium for that connection, there is far more revenue to be made flying elsewhere. Witness the failures over many years of domestic SH airlines. Flybe is now just about the only one left
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rapidex
From may the new direct train from Peterborough to LGW starts.So from MAN you can do a 1 stop at Peterborough.
Thanks for that, it will also be on interest to those in the Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and related points since it spares us a shuffle over to St Pancras. Unfortunately looking at the provisional timetable it doesn't appear to save any time since this new service makes frequent stops (e.g. Horley). However the provisional timetable is currently work in progress rather than the confirmed outcome, but at the moment it suggests the fastest route remains going to Kings Cross and then the Gatwick Express from Victoria.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:32 am

God help anyone travelling from Peterborough to Gatwick on those new trains. The seats are shockingly uncomfortable even for a 45 minute commute.

Although the half-wit minister of transport had an explanation so feeble that it could have easily come from the BA press team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...rtable-used-jo
Roger and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
In a flashback to the days of the BMI board I would like to mention that the Class 700/701 fleet is the subject of discussion, although the new IEP trains (Great Western and soon East Coast) class 800s are getting the same comments about the seats.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dnajockey
In a flashback to the days of the BMI board I would like to mention that the Class 700/701 fleet is the subject of discussion, although the new IEP trains (Great Western and soon East Coast) class 800s are getting the same comments about the seats.
Have heard the Class 800’s will be getting a more padded seat with re-fits for those already in service. To bring this slightly back on topic, the slimmer seats have been used to improve leg room rather than to push the density as high as it can possibly go. Travelling on one yesterday I was struck by how much space there is in a standard class seat.
dnajockey likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by rapidex
Have you ever taken the train from Manchester to Peterborough? Got a day to spare?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Have you ever taken the train from Manchester to Peterborough? Got a day to spare?
Between 2h30 and 3 hours. Not exactly a day.

But I agree, I'm not sure I would take that route to get to Gatwick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.