Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Funny that people complain how difficult it is to get to LGW, but then fly right the way across Europe on an ex EU fare if it saves themselves a few quid..😂
FlyerTalker39574 and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by esspeebee
The St Pancras/Thameslink route, or any part of the eastern half of the country whose train service goes into Kings Cross. Gatwick is easier than Heathrow for me - train into Kings Cross, cross the road and go down the escalators onto the Thameslink train. For LHR it's either a long tube ride, in less comfort than the Thameslink train, or a tube ride and another connection through Paddington. Even arriving into Liverpool Street I don't see how Heathrow is easier than Gatwick.

Frankly I wish I could use Gatwick more for the lesser hassle of getting to it, but since the terminal move I've found myself flying only on LHR routes.
I would love to take advantage of the increase in BA flights from LGW but despite living on the East Coast mainline, the earliest 5:18am departure gets me to Gatwick for 09:30 - I would not dare book a flight before 11:00 and probably not before 11:30 if I was with Mrs Tanaka. The cheapest early morning train ticket to Gatwick is 70.50 if booked well in advance. The car would take 5/6 hours.

Returning home is less of a problem schedule wise but requires a flexible train ticket if you don't want to build in 4 hours for a potential delay on the plane. An off peak one way flexible ticket is crazy money but a flexible off peak return can be had for 144.10.

So for the 2 of us to go from LGW it requires 288 in train fares versus adding a NCL-LHR leg on BA (which often reduces the price compared to ex-LON) and paying 60 each way LHR-LGW in a taxi. For this I get my connection protected and tier points/avios too. But I don't really want the hassle of the M25 unless the price is too good to be true so for BA I'm really stuck with ex-LHR routes. I guess anyone living between Carlisle and Birmingham or in Northern Scotland has a similar problem.

Let's use some of those Gatwick slots for MAN, NCL and ABZ routes BA!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Raffles
Has King of Trainers gone yet? I didn't think it would survive long under the new regime.
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
King of Trainers remains, as the anchor store for Gatwick South shoppers !

So you will still be able to buy a pair of shinny white trainers next time you come through
I think it was out of concern for Mrs.Raffles actually. But yes it is handily en route to the BA lounge and usually popular with Gatwick's discerning passengers. I admit to raise a teetotal toast to Mrs.Raffles every time I use the Aspire Lounge in Bedfordshire International, it has a grandstand view of JD's King of Trainers, and is at least twice the size of the Sussex emporium.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Do you think Titan will put the BA loaned A318 on any of the LGW routes?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Originally Posted by tedcruz
Do you think Titan will put the BA loaned A318 on any of the LGW routes?
POWS - a 'new' 737 to the TItan fleet is going to spend the summer in passenger config before being converted to a frieghter. As ex-DOCT, I wonder if we could see it return home for one last summer?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Titan will be using an A320 on the routes flown on behalf for British Airways. I expect this arrangement will last unless NEO deliveries to LHR allow more A319/A320 to move to Gatwick. Some will move in March to help service the new timetable.
I agree with others that there is more to come given that BA has enough slots for an average 20 more departures per day. At the moment about 8/9 per day have been allocated. I expect their will be some new long haul destinations and some more short haul. As for more domestics who knows! I don't think Newcastle, Belfast and Manchester are viable as connecting flights alone. It would be necessary to encourage regular point to point travellers in sufficient numbers.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I don't think Newcastle, Belfast and Manchester are viable as connecting flights alone. It would be necessary to encourage regular point to point travellers in sufficient numbers.
When the MAN/LGW shuttle last ran, it was averaging about 65-75 passengers per flight. Only the early departure ex MAN had a sizable load mainly to connect with the Caribbean longhauls. Perhaps a Cityflyer E90 would be viable, but not having a base at either end would complicate that operation.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wythy
When the MAN/LGW shuttle last ran, it was averaging about 65-75 passengers per flight.
The biggest complainant when it was canned was Virgin Atlantic, whose crews used it to shuttle up and down (at staff rates). Some weeks, they were the biggest 'customer'.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
You can be off the train and in the very lovely new lounge all within 8-10mins at LGW S. Its a pretty decent experience now.
Maybe I'm spoiled by the T5 First Wing experience, but every time I've been through Gatwick South since the move from North, the experience has been anything but decent. (Better than North was with no lounge, mind you, but still a long way off T5/T3)

My biggest gripe is "premium security". They always seem to insist on feeding 75% non-premium customers in the queue from round the side, which means there's always a wait, always too many trays trying to get through, and importantly always loads of non-regular travellers who don't know + don't listen to the rules. Every time one of my trays is selected for secondary inspection, which means a 20+ minute wait because there's so many waiting to be scanned. Last time, my tray with coat + ipad + laptop had been bumped a lot waiting to get through the x-ray, and my coat had ended up partly covered the ipad. Apparently that was enough to mean it got sent to secondary and a very long wait and a re-scan! In general through, bags which routinely get through all Heathrow terminals (any many other EU airports) without problems are pulled for secondary at Gatwick, and somehow the Gatwick staff make the T5 security staff seem friendly and efficient...

Add in the late opening of the First lounge at LGW, to my ever raised blood pressure when dealing with LGW "premium" security, and you'll see why I pick LHR over LGW when Heathrow is anything up to 50 quid more, and why the other half prefers Heathrow to nearer a hundred quid price difference!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Maybe I'm spoiled by the T5 First Wing experience, but every time I've been through Gatwick South since the move from North, the experience has been anything but decent. (Better than North was with no lounge, mind you, but still a long way off T5/T3)

My biggest gripe is "premium security". They always seem to insist on feeding 75% non-premium customers in the queue from round the side, which means there's always a wait, always too many trays trying to get through, and importantly always loads of non-regular travellers who don't know + don't listen to the rules. Every time one of my trays is selected for secondary inspection, which means a 20+ minute wait because there's so many waiting to be scanned. Last time, my tray with coat + ipad + laptop had been bumped a lot waiting to get through the x-ray, and my coat had ended up partly covered the ipad. Apparently that was enough to mean it got sent to secondary and a very long wait and a re-scan! In general through, bags which routinely get through all Heathrow terminals (any many other EU airports) without problems are pulled for secondary at Gatwick, and somehow the Gatwick staff make the T5 security staff seem friendly and efficient...
Whereas I've never had secondary at LGW and Premium Security has generally been pretty painless for me - on a par with T5 North Fast Track. First Wing no doubt makes a difference if you have it.

Overall, given the better train options from N1/EC1, LGW definitely beats T5 for me. T3 swings it with the CX lounge though.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by wythy
When the MAN/LGW shuttle last ran, it was averaging about 65-75 passengers per flight. Only the early departure ex MAN had a sizable load mainly to connect with the Caribbean longhauls. Perhaps a Cityflyer E90 would be viable, but not having a base at either end would complicate that operation.
I think you are spot on with the idea of an E90 (for NCL too), guess BA hasnt had to think about using small planes at LHR/LGW for a while (apart from when LCY is closed).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:08 pm

I have no connection to Monarch and I never even flew with them but reading this thread, I feel like I'm dancing on someone's grave.

I guess BA wanted Monarch's space at LGW and took it using competition etc. That's how the world works.The last few years has seen the number of U.K. competitors decrease a lot for BA (IAG).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I have no connection to Monarch and I never even flew with them but reading this thread, I feel like I'm dancing on someone's grave.
I guess BA wanted Monarch's space at LGW and took it using competition etc. That's how the world works.The last few years has seen the number of U.K. competitors decrease a lot for BA (IAG).
Btw
BA let easyJet buy Go-Fly instead of closing it down. BA now competes with easyJet at former Go-Fly bases at STN and BRS.

BA let easyJet buy GB Airways after it was offered first refusal on a deal. BA competes with easyJet.

BA acquired bmibaby and closed it down. Jet2 acquired many bmibaby assets

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jan 5, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
If it helps ease your guilt, there are plenty of ex-Monarch folk now gainfully plying their trade at those dastardly remaining airlines.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I am happy to be corrected but I believe there is an agreement with pilots in place that doesn't allow BA City Flyer to operate flights on a regular basis from London Gatwick or London Heathrow.
I also believe that is the reason why BA E190s operate with only 98 seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.