Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for that, it will also be on interest to those in the Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and related points since it spares us a shuffle over to St Pancras. Unfortunately looking at the provisional timetable it doesn't appear to save any time since this new service makes frequent stops (e.g. Horley). However the provisional timetable is currently work in progress rather than the confirmed outcome, but at the moment it suggests the fastest route remains going to Kings Cross and then the Gatwick Express from Victoria.
I doubt anyone would want to get off a comfortable* VTEC train at PBO to change to a Thameslink there when the walk from King's Cross to St Pancras is very small.

From May there will be fast Thameslink trains that do London Bridge to Gatwick in 29 minutes, therefore it'll be best to get on one of these at St Pancras rather than take the tube to Victoria and get the Gatwick Express.

* comfortable for now, let's see what the Azuma (class 800) brings.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by layz
I doubt anyone would want to get off a comfortable* VTEC train at PBO to change to a Thameslink there when the walk from King's Cross to St Pancras is very small.
I wouldn't even describe King's Cross to St Pancras as a walk - it's literally crossing a road. I reckon it's actually a shorter walk to the Thameslink platforms in STP from platforms 9-11 of KGX - and poss even from platforms 0-8 using the overbridge - than it is from the main entrance to St Pancras itself.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:22 am

Has the BD forum just been re-opened?

Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Has the BD forum just been re-opened?

Having never visited the BD forum (may she rest in peace)... why was PBO/KGX/Thameslink (?) such a hot topic over there?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
Have you ever taken the train from Manchester to Peterborough? Got a day to spare?
Sometimes when flying from MAN.I posted the info which may suit some and not others.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Having never visited the BD forum (may she rest in peace)... why was PBO/KGX/Thameslink (?) such a hot topic over there?
The BD forum used to double (unofficially) as the train forum until towards the end of its life train queries were moved to the UK forum.
rossmacd and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Page 5 of this link suggesting a few more new destinations for BA over the summer season at Gatwick, I suppose these could be charters though rather than new scheduled routes?: https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...REPORT-S18.pdf

Some I haven’t seen mentioned before are Antalya, Aktion, Burgas, Lisbon, Zagreb.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Page 5 of this link suggesting a few more new destinations for BA over the summer season at Gatwick, I suppose these could be charters though rather than new scheduled routes?: https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...REPORT-S18.pdf

Some I haven’t seen mentioned before are Antalya, Aktion, Burgas, Lisbon, Zagreb.
interesting that it also mentions increased services to many destinations such as Malta. When you look at the sechedule, Malta has the same frequency as last year. When is BA going to finally announce the allocation of the remaining slots to the new destinations or inrcreased services?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by BA6948

interesting that it also mentions increased services to many destinations such as Malta. When you look at the sechedule, Malta has the same frequency as last year. When is BA going to finally announce the allocation of the remaining slots to the new destinations or inrcreased services?
When they cant lease them to other operators to make profits by doing nothing.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
When they cant lease them to other operators to make profits by doing nothing.
Have just noticed now that Malta is getting 2 additional services in August. Some other increases to other destinations. It would be good to have a summary of all changes.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec Silver, AmEx Platinum, PP
Agreed. My only niggle with LGW is the hustle and bustle in the "premium" fast track which tends to be full of passengers who have purchased access as a holiday bolt-on.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by baexecsilver_eu1
Agreed. My only niggle with LGW is the hustle and bustle in the "premium" fast track which tends to be full of passengers who have purchased access as a holiday bolt-on.
I have never had more than 2-3 other people in the Premium security time in my experiences in the past year or so. Maybe mid-summer it's busier though
Old May 21, 2018, 2:22 pm

An article in the FT at the weekend said BA has had to lease 20% of the new Gatwick slots to Thomas Cook (mostly) and Qatar (2 rotations a day) to avoid a problem with 'use it or lose it' rules.

According to the article there was no income involved for the leases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.