Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut Allergy Warning and then Serving

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Surely somebody who is so severely allergic to anything, let alone something they know will be present on an aeroplane (in the seat, etc.) will have at least one epi pen on them.
Probably, but I asked the question without knowing that a sufferer will realise they are going into shock. I assumed, wrongly, that it may be similar to diabetes where a person can have a hypo without realising that it's happening.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Surely somebody who is so severely allergic to anything, let alone something they know will be present on an aeroplane (in the seat, etc.) will have at least one epi pen on them.
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I dont know if BA or other airlines carry Epipens, but I would expect severe allergy sufferers would do so (my daughter always does).
As I mentioned earlier, yes - in an ideal world. But the reality of compliance with doctor's instructions (especially amongst teenagers) is that alarmingly often, they do not - even in something which is potentially life threatening such as this.

Even if they do, it's not a pleasant experience to have to use it. I imagine it would be particularly galling if it was necessitated not by a cross-contaminated surface (bad luck, as precautions have been taken to try to minimise the risk), but is because someone else was determined to eat their peanuts in the next seat!

So, if a member of the crew requested that I didn't eat a nut snack because of an allergy sufferer was also, I would accede to that request. It's called being a considerate person: the risk/discomfort to me is minimal compared to the risk of anaphylaxis to the other person. If I persisted in eating a food that I'd been warned someone else was allergic to, and it caused a medical emergency and subsequent diversion and inconvenience, I would also feel like a right plonker…
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:34 pm

epipen

Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Probably, but I asked the question without knowing that a sufferer will realize they are going into shock. I assumed, wrongly, that it may be similar to diabetes where a person can have a hypo without realising that it's happening.
I have severe asthmatic reactions to cats (no contact necessary). I carry an epi-pen and several masks and sit as far away as possible, which I usually work out with the owner. If there is a cat on board I will usually wear a mask the whole flight, no matter where I sit. All my emergency room visits have been related to cats...

I DO know when I'm about to have a reaction but I have known a few severe peanut allergy children who either don't know or haven't yet developed an awareness of impending reaction. There is no time for discussion, politeness, so on. They need an injection or emergency treatment immediately. Often both. I believe being near (peanut dust carries) or eating a peanut can each trigger a reaction in the most sensitive. According to the article quoted above, though, most folks don't inform the staff and just self treat.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by bzribee
I have severe asthmatic reactions to cats (no contact necessary). I carry an epi-pen and several masks and sit as far away as possible, which I usually work out with the owner. If there is a cat on board I will usually wear a mask the whole flight, no matter where I sit. All my emergency room visits have been related to cats...

I DO know when I'm about to have a reaction but I have known a few severe peanut allergy children who either don't know or haven't yet developed an awareness of impending reaction. There is no time for discussion, politeness, so on. They need an injection or emergency treatment immediately. Often both. I believe being near (peanut dust carries) or eating a peanut can each trigger a reaction in the most sensitive. According to the article quoted above, though, most folks don't inform the staff and just self treat.
Very interesting to read your experiences, thank you for that. It appears it might not be quite so straightforward to determine whether a passenger is in shock or not.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
I flew BA ATL-LHR in September. A PA was made shortly after departure that no nuts would be offered on board due to a passenger having a 'severe nut allergy'.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
As a diabetic I travel with backup to deal with the various situations I can be confronted with. Irrespective of insulin and pens, the situation that caught me out once, was being taken hostage on board a plane during irrops (it wasn't BA) and having to sit out several hours on the ground without any service. As it was supposed to be a short-haul flight, I really hadn't taken much with me and after a couple of hours, ended up with mild hypoglycaemia. I did have sugar on me, but that really is a short-term solution and once you've taken that, you need something to back it up (slow carbs, even simply bread).
Since that incident, I now always travel with cereal bars, they contain sugars and slow carbs and have a long shelf life, so are convenient, but they pretty much all contain nuts. With all respect to those with nut allergies, I will eat my cereal bars if I believe there is medical need for me to do so, even if there has been an announcement to the contrary.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Originally Posted by PETER01
Thank you for that Wifie and a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board. I hope you enjoy being here and a great place for many things including other forums.
Thank you for the welcome. I have been an avid follower of this forum for a few years now but have not had the courage to contribute. The advice on here has been invaluable in planning and enjoying many a trip in Club comfort!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm genuinely curious, what do you do when the seat belt sign is on while cheesy meals are being served around you?
It's been a rare occurrence, but I have told the crew the problem, and ask to sit in a jumpseat in the non-food galley
That has never been an issue with them

(Sorry for late reply, been away )
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So then based on your description, do you feel unwell on every BA flight that you take?

M
Not all, possibly not even most, but many - but standing away from the galley and the cheese as it's eaten is usually fine
I have once had to go sit in the loo
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
While I do think fellow passengers should try and be sympathetic if not empathetic and forego the nut snacks, they can't really be asked to shoulder the entire responsibility either. As madfish mentioned in post #4 , if something on a tray at one point had nuts in it, then it would probably be prudent to consider the entire meal contaminated, but you couldn't not serve anyone anything... and if it weren't a short three hour flight, but an ultra-longhaul... then what?

Of course, I'm not suggesting that the person suffering from the severe allergy is to blame. But if s/he were so severely sensitive that any inhalation or skin contact with the most minuscule particle would trigger an allergic reaction, then at some point, you do have to question the sensibility of travelling on a commercial aircraft. Not only is it impractical to fully clean the aircraft (all nooks and crannies, tear out the carpet, flush the air conditioning system, etc.), but it's impossible to ensure that every other passenger will definitely comply with the "no nuts" rule. Yes, it is sad that a person suffering from a medical issue cannot do everything that a person not suffering from the issue can, but sometimes, as unfortunate and unfair as it may be, that is life.
HarryKUK and chrisboote like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
While I do think fellow passengers should try and be sympathetic if not empathetic and forego the nut snacks, they can't really be asked to shoulder the entire responsibility either. As madfish mentioned in post #4 , if something on a tray at one point had nuts in it, then it would probably be prudent to consider the entire meal contaminated, but you couldn't not serve anyone anything... and if it weren't a short three hour flight, but an ultra-longhaul... then what?

Of course, I'm not suggesting that the person suffering from the severe allergy is to blame. But if s/he were so severely sensitive that any inhalation or skin contact with the most minuscule particle would trigger an allergic reaction, then at some point, you do have to question the sensibility of travelling on a commercial aircraft. Not only is it impractical to fully clean the aircraft (all nooks and crannies, tear out the carpet, flush the air conditioning system, etc.), but it's impossible to that every other passenger will definitely comply with the "no nuts" rule. Yes, it is sad that a person suffering from a medical issue cannot do everything that a person not suffering from the issue can, but sometimes, as unfortunate and unfair as it may be, that is life.
Or, has happens, they could weigh up the risk and make their own decision over whether the benefits outweigh the risk. They do what they can to manage it, reasonable measures are taken to make the environment not threatening without disrupting other passengers and no-one has to forego their trip.

I​​​​​​I don't see any need for anything as extreme as not flying. We all accept the risk of a plane crashing everytime we board a plane, and statistically that seems rather a bigger threat than the allergy. So at some point you have to question the sensibility of your own choice to travel on a commercial aircraft.
07L 25R likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by nallison
Or, has happens, they could weigh up the risk and make their own decision over whether the benefits outweigh the risk. They do what they can to manage it, reasonable measures are taken to make the environment not threatening without disrupting other passengers and no-one has to forego their trip.

I​​​​​​I don't see any need for anything as extreme as not flying. We all accept the risk of a plane crashing everytime we board a plane, and statistically that seems rather a bigger threat than the allergy. So at some point you have to question the sensibility of your own choice to travel on a commercial aircraft.
I totally agree - echoing what some people have already pointed out above, most people with severe allergic reactions get a severe allergic reaction after significant contact with the allergen. But if someone were so unfortunate that they were ultra-sensitive, then I don't think "reasonable measures" would be adequate to prevent the onset of a reaction.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by catandmouse
As a diabetic I travel with backup to deal with the various situations I can be confronted with. Irrespective of insulin and pens, the situation that caught me out once, was being taken hostage on board a plane during irrops (it wasn't BA) and having to sit out several hours on the ground without any service. As it was supposed to be a short-haul flight, I really hadn't taken much with me and after a couple of hours, ended up with mild hypoglycaemia. I did have sugar on me, but that really is a short-term solution and once you've taken that, you need something to back it up (slow carbs, even simply bread).
Since that incident, I now always travel with cereal bars, they contain sugars and slow carbs and have a long shelf life, so are convenient, but they pretty much all contain nuts. With all respect to those with nut allergies, I will eat my cereal bars if I believe there is medical need for me to do so, even if there has been an announcement to the contrary.
I also suffer from hypoglycaemia (pretty severe at times). And I suffer from nut allergies.I have had absolutely no problem WHATSOEVER in finding slow carb cereal bars that contain no nuts. I'm sure you could too if you put your mind to it.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:15 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
It's ok. None of those being inconsiderate to the needs of others will mind when their flight gets emergency diverted en route because they decided to eat nuts regardless. No? I thought not.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by chrisboote
Not all, possibly not even most, but many - but standing away from the galley and the cheese as it's eaten is usually fine
I have once had to go sit in the loo
How does the cheese get from someone else's sandwich, or a dish in the galley, into you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.