Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut Allergy Warning and then Serving

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:31 am

my daughter suffers from a peanut allergy and our experience with BA has been particularly good, in stark contrast to UA who have on a recent occasion suggested she not board a flight, despite us calling and emailing in advance to notify them. As mentioned previously, BA allow pre-boarding so my daughter can wipe down the armrests, tray table, etc and have always made an announcement asking that no peanuts be eaten by passengers. Sadly we frequently hear other passengers huff and puff with the "oh, there's always one" and "they just think they're special" kind of comment.
I was also under the impression that BA do not use peanuts for any meals now, though it seems I was misinformed.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So then based on your description, do you feel unwell on every BA flight that you take?

M
Worse on AA as practically everything is cheesy there.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I was also under the impression that BA do not use peanuts for any meals now, though it seems I was misinformed.
I'm not sure I'd take a casual remark on here about a dessert being topped with peanuts as evidence of that. It's pretty unusual to use peanuts in desserts, especially as a topping. I'd imagine it was more likely some form of tree nut which would look similar.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by chrisboote
I don't know, because I remove myself from the problem, and go and stand elsewhere while the cheese meal is being served to people near me, then resume my seat once it's over
I'm genuinely curious, what do you do when the seat belt sign is on while cheesy meals are being served around you?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Do BA carry the necessary injections on board to treat a passenger who has gone into an anaphylactic state?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:54 am

Doesn’t surprise me

Originally Posted by walkingtall
Flew Manchester to Heathrow on Tuesday 3rd in CE, on boarding a passenger told the crew about a peanut allergy and made an announcement about not selling and asking passengers to refrain from eating peanuts.

Meal was served and the desert has peanuts on the top , I asked if this was sensible as they had given a peanut warning , i was told it wasn't a problem due to the passenger being down the back of the plane.

I am no expert in either allergies to peanuts , but would it be worth the risk in serving desert ?
I have a mild nut allergy (yes peanuts trigger it, as does nut oil, sesame seeds and a whole host of other nut related things). If I eat nuts my youngest will swell and I’ll get sick. If I breath nut particles it triggers my asthma. My allergy is mild but it does mean I’ve seen how seriously the airlines take it.

Whenever I fly I always inform the airline that I would like a nut free meal but almost every time I fly I will be served nuts at some point (usually with a drink). Usually the airline will make multiple attempts to serve me nuts. I have never been offered an alternative and they have never asked about the severity of my allergy.

Now as I said my nut allergy is mild but I do have sympathy for those with a severe allergy. This is a well known and widespread condition and I am surprised that some people on this thread are so unsympathetic. Do you need to eat nuts? No. You want to eat nuts. And for that you would put someone else’s life in danger?

The idea that you can simply remove yourself from the area is non-sense. I know this from experience. When you are in a middle seat and people on either side of you have just been served nuts and a drink the idea you can remove yourself before someone opens a packet is not realistic.... And of course some airlines serve bowls of hot nuts which they parade up and down the aisles. (Yes this usually triggers an asthma attack in me.). God knows what this would do to some small kid with a severe nut allergy.

To the person with the cheese allergy. I love cheese. I mean REALLY love cheese. But if I were sat by you I will happily forego my cheese if it make the trip more bearable for you.

Lastly a thought. Wouldnt the world be a better place if people were just a little more considerate​​​​​​, less selfish and more concerned with others than their right to eat nuts?

Wishing everyone good health, peace and a great year ahead wherever you are travelling.

ttama likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Do BA carry the necessary injections on board to treat a passenger who has gone into an anaphylactic state?
Yes, although it would be best to administer one before you go into an “anaphylactic state.” Most sufferers can tell very quickly if they have been exposed to an allergen.

Last edited by muscat; Jan 4, 2018 at 6:00 am Reason: Addition.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by squawk
I am fortunate not to suffer from any allergies (at least, that I’m aware of!) but for those who have a serious nut allergy it can cause life threatening anaphylactic shock.

As others have discussed, the risk from airborne particles is less than via contact, but it’s a case of doing what you can to minimise that risk.

Those with serious allergies often carry “epipens” with which ti inject themselves in case of an allergic reaction. However, this is quite unpleasant(!) and prevention is better than cure.

There is also a problem of ‘compliance’: many teenagers, in particular, don’t carry their epipens with them all the time - it is seen as a “disease talisman”, something which marks them out as different at an age when they simple want to fit in. In turn this makes needless, preventable deaths more likely. Former colleagues of mine have looked at ways to improve this, through different forms of education of the teenagers themselves.
As with many impairments, this is actually best practice (and, I’d like to think, common courtesy): discuss someone’s needs in a way that respects their dignity, and take it from there.
Best advice from an Allergist I used to work for - if going into a known and potentially high risk for exposure situation (like air travel) at least take an antihistamine in advance. Although it may not prevent an anaphylactic reaction, much like low dose asa, it can buy some time while getting appropriate intervention into place. Not sure teens would be any more inclined to heed that advice vs carry an epi (two would actually be better) but it would be something at least.
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by muscat

Yes, although it would be best to administer one before you go into an “anaphylactic state.” Most sufferers can tell very quickly if they have been exposed to an allergen.
Ah ok, thanks for that info. I had no idea at all about the how the condition developed if someone is exposed to their allergy trigger.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
my daughter suffers from a peanut allergy and our experience with BA has been particularly good, in stark contrast to UA who have on a recent occasion suggested she not board a flight, despite us calling and emailing in advance to notify them.
I can sort of understand where UA are coming from as with even the best intentions you cannot guarantee there will be no nuts on the flight.

I would never knowingly eat nuts if I knew someone had an allergy but I have frequently been mistaken by the contents of snacks I have especially where the packaging is of a non latin alphabet. I remember on one occasion munching my way through some sandwich biscuits that turned out to have a peanut butter filling. The picture on the packet looked like those cheese sandwich biscuits.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:21 am

I dont know if BA or other airlines carry Epipens, but I would expect severe allergy sufferers would do so (my daughter always does).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Surely somebody who is so severely allergic to anything, let alone something they know will be present on an aeroplane (in the seat, etc.) will have at least one epi pen on them.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Exec
I dont know if BA or other airlines carry Epipens, but I would expect severe allergy sufferers would do so (my daughter always does).
BA do as previously stated, but the crew need to observe a few precautions before administering a shot of adrenaline to the customer. In an ideal world, the crew will be aware of any customers with severe allergies, have made appropriate adjustments and the affected customer usually has their own Epipen in their possession.

9 times out of 10 it's not really a big deal, at least not based on my experiences. Most people seem to be understanding.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I personally feel for people who really do have severe allergies, and is surely only a minor inconvenience to those who must have a bag of self provided peanuts on board.
The key point here is self provided. BA have had a peanut policy in place since the early 90's covering various situations and product make up to boot. They have had a 100% ban on any products containing peanuts globally since June 2000, that being across the board including on the ground and in the air. What I don't know is how this is policed in third party lounges for instance.

Upshot - no need to panic about BA knowingly serving any products containing peanuts across the spectrum, as they have not done for the last 17 years. This of course does not account for any individuals actions, and the necessary caution must be taken at all times.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I would be very surprised if it was peanut, the only time BA say they serve peanuts is in First ex KUL when we serve satay.
^ I imagine they will use substitute nut mixtures to get the satay flavour too. The product specifications will no doubt use the phrase "may contain", denoted by a MC on the allergen listing sheets. All this means is that the product has been made in an area such that there is a possible chance of allergen cross contamination during the production process, for instance if sufficient cleaning routines have not been completed after producing products containing peanuts. This could actually be said for just about anything in food production if errors are made, but again i would not recommend anyone consume product that has the "may contain" phrase if there is a remote chance reaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.