Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Andriyko
You know, the agent did say that she could move us to a different JFK-LHR flight, presumably on a different date, but what she could not do was to change our routing so that we avoid JFK. We are all sorted now, which I am happy about, and I feel bad for people who are stuck somewhere for another day or two.
Yes, I'm glad to hear you're OK now. I wouldn't hold it too much against AA, though this isn't amazingly awful weather by their standards (it would cripple the UK for weeks!) nevertheless any airline is going to struggle in this situation. It does tax one's reserves of patience, inevitably, but hopefully you and your husband will on your way.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Note also that any flights that do get out to the east coast over the next few days will be sent without cargo as the weather is too bad to unload it, and that while baggage logistics is unlikely to be affected (it's normally fairly quick and extra effort is put in to keeping this moving) there is nevertheless a slightly greater chance than usual that the bins will be returned full and untouched to London. So if ever there were a time to keep a supply of undies in your onboard bags, it is now.
mike&co likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I'm glad to hear you're OK now. I wouldn't hold it too much against AA, though this isn't amazingly awful weather by their standards (it would cripple the UK for weeks!) nevertheless any airline is going to struggle in this situation. It does tax one's reserves of patience, inevitably, but hopefully you and your husband will on your way.
Thank you CWS! It looks like we are going to London after all. ​​

​​​​​​
I understand that any airline will struggle in a bad weather situation. My grudge is not that we had to wait or that there were no other seats on other flights, my issue is that AA flatly refused to deal with us because our DFW-JFK flight was booked as a BA codeshare and we were on a BA ticket. I thought it was the standard procedure that the airline that causes a disruption rebooks the passenger to their final destination or next stopover? And that AA should be able to rebook us even if we are on a BA ticket. AA told us that we were not its problem, and that’s the bit that I don’t understand. There were seats on the direct flight that we were ultimately rebooked onto by BA, but it mattered not to the AA people. We are in business class, but I pleaded with them to get us to London in any available seat, but got nowhere. I am just wondering what to do in situations like this when the operating airlines refuses to rebook you. BA did not even see that AA canceled the flight for some time as far as I could understand.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Note also that any flights that do get out to the east coast over the next few days will be sent without cargo as the weather is too bad to unload it, and that while baggage logistics is unlikely to be affected (it's normally fairly quick and extra effort is put in to keeping this moving) there is nevertheless a slightly greater chance than usual that the bins will be returned full and untouched to London. So if ever there were a time to keep a supply of undies in your onboard bags, it is now.
Indeed very good point. What often happens is that they can't use all the holds and if the airport is stretched the captain may have to make a call on what to load in the time given.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

my issue is that AA flatly refused to deal with us because our DFW-JFK flight was booked as a BA codeshare and we were on a BA ticket. I thought it was the standard procedure that the airline that causes a disruption rebooks the passenger to their final destination or next stopover?
That should not have happened and AA have been good to excellent about handling my 125 and codeshared flights. On the other hand if a less experienced agent has a long queue of people and a ticket marked "British" then you can see the temptation to invite/tell you to deal with them. In the end, I think they did you a favour. Or at least it was better than a favor.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:01 pm

In the end, I think they did you a favour. Or at least it was better than a favor.
You are absolutely right. But I had resources to pull that off - ability to afford an expensive phone call, knowledge from here what to do, access to Expertflyer (thank you!) to check what was available. There was a German boy in front of us who could not have been older that 18 or 20, and he was told to call some number, and when he said that he did not have a local phone to call from the agent just shrugged and waived him off. You know I am not a big complainer, and I just want to get where I need to be, so I was more than happy to fly economy but to fly, and this whole experience was bizarre,

Thanks for for confirming that AA was supposed to help us. I will be more persistent next time. Although, as you correctly pointed out, BA dealt with it much quicker.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 4, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
C-W-S, I know you touched on this in Brian’s post just now but what are the rules (or reality) of receiving TPs for flights that are in limbo when things go wrong? So in Brian’s situation the flight never made it to the destination as it turned back to London. Also what about the scenario where a flight is cancelled mid way through a TP Run, thus some flights were successfully flown but the trip ended up being impacted and the end destination was not achievable? The whole trip is then rebooked for a later date and you are flown back to your original departure point?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
The whole trip is then rebooked for a later date and you are flown back to your original departure point?
OK, the usual rule is either you have to fly to get TPs, or get re-routed off oneworld to get the "Original Routing" credit. Because our intrepid Brazilian traveller actually left T5 - and for many hours - it's possible the computers are already in motion and will give him the TPs anyway, but actually this may well be scrubbed and if that happens there is no come back. If you then cancel the flight, you get a refund and that's it, no TPs. I don't think I've ever heard anyone get TPs as a consolation prize for not actually flying. If you are half way through a set of trips and end up back home, you will get the TPs as travelled, and also those where rebooked for later, so swings and roundabouts, that scenario would be one of the better ones from a TP perspective. Probably not worth the severe inconvenience involved, mind, and there may be irrecoverable hotel costs (etc) involved.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

OK, the usual rule is either you have to fly to get TPs, or get re-routed off oneworld to get the "Original Routing" credit.
Does that mean that I can claim for the DFW-JFK flight that I never took? I don’t need TPs and the Avios that I will get for the DFW-LHR flight will probably be more or less equal to what I would have gotten had I flown my original itinerary, but I am just curious (and would appreciate any info regarding how one actually goes about claiming in this situation).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:34 pm

Does that mean that I can claim for the DFW-JFK flight that I never took?
Yes it does, and ironically the fact it was BA marketed should make it more likely to happen. Though, as you know better than some, not everything works out in the airline industry, so I need to put in a hint of a caveat here. As to how to do it, there is a very handy guide to ORC in the Dashboard.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Judging from FR24, JFK has a ground stop. Flights are diverting or turning around. Swiss from GVA and ZRH diverted to ORD, DL flights to ATL. A few other flights (OS, JL) are heading towards ORD too.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:39 pm

Yes it does, and ironically the fact it was BA marketed should make it more likely to happen. Though, as you know better than some, not everything works out in the airline industry, so I need to put in a hint of a caveat here. As to how to do it, there is a very handy guide to ORC in the Dashboard.
Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
My simple question is - in the event that tomorrow's PHL does not go, what 'Duty of Care' do AA have to provide, if any ?
Exactly the same as any other airline affected at MAN: you're flying from an EU airport, so you'd be entitled to hotel, appropriate meals and phone calls. They may arrange it themselves, if not you can 'pay and claim'. They won't refuse, but if they do, follow the advice in the EU261 thread up to and including claiming in court.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by florens
Judging from FR24, JFK has a ground stop. Flights are diverting or turning around. Swiss from GVA and ZRH diverted to ORD, DL flights to ATL. A few other flights (OS, JL) are heading towards ORD too.
It's not just a ground stop. It's closed and not expected to reopen until at least 6pm Eastern time. Lots of flights are diverting to where ever they can. There's an LH flight diverting to ATL.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by wrp96
It's not just a ground stop. It's closed and not expected to reopen until at least 6pm Eastern time. Lots of flights are diverting to where ever they can. There's an LH flight diverting to ATL.
Ok. ORD is getting very busy with quite a few diversions. AY, MS, NH, RJ, SV all seem to head there. BA183 LHR-JFK just made a u-turn east off thr coast of Ireland and is heading back.

Edit: SV and MS diverted to YYZ.

Last edited by florens; Jan 4, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.