Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Local news says JFK won't re-open until 8pm.

I just went outside for the first time since this morning and it's definitely worse than was anticipated. Some spots of the garden it's almost 2ft deep, which is a lot of snow to move off those four runways.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
All of AA's flights from LHR to JFK are cancelled tomorrow (understandable, since they couldn't fly JFK-LHR today), but some early morning BA cancellations (BA117) and delays (BA115, delayed 1.5 hours so far) already showing up.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
BA183 from LHR to JFK on 4Jan seems to have turned around just north west of Co. Mayo after departing LHR roughly on time.

Comments:
DOBA183/04JAN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 183 -1 TH 04JAN18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0318 JFK
DIV JFK LHR
DESTINATION STATION
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2300 LHR
AIRCRAFT LANDED LHR 2326
AIRCRAFT ARRIVED AT GATE LHR 2333
NEXT INFO WILL BE AT 0015
ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 0015
LEFT THE GATE 2020
TOOK OFF 2043
DELAY ZO
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 183 -1 TH 04JAN18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1950 TH FAJCDRIWETY/M 744 7:50
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
X/M
JFK 2240 TH 7:50
COMMENTS-
1.LHR JFK - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR JFK - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR JFK - ARRIVES TERMINAL 7
4.LHR JFK - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LHR JFK - SECURED FLIGHT
6.LHR JFK - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.LHR JFK - CO2/PAX* 354.31 KG ECO, 708.62 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
CONFIGURATION-
744 F 14 J 52 W 36 M 235
>
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by absoluy
BA183 from LHR to JFK on 4Jan seems to have turned around just north west of Co. Mayo after departing LHR roughly on time.
I presume that's because JFK is now closed until 1200Z / 0700 local tomorrow...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by absoluy
All of AA's flights from LHR to JFK are cancelled tomorrow (understandable, since they couldn't fly JFK-LHR today), but some early morning BA cancellations (BA117) and delays (BA115, delayed 1.5 hours so far) already showing up.
Received an email overnight from BA confirming BA117 is cancelled. MMB shows no alternative rebooking options. Will have to call AA later to see what they can do (AA ticketed).

Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Ed Gamble and Steven A aster (comedians) advise they can’t get home until Tuesday and not being offered hotels either according to Twitter. Us the very difficult for all.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like six flights to JFK are already cancelled, including one from yesterday evening.

Have friends booked on BA175 this morning. At the moment the flight is the only one of the first four that is operating.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Looks like six flights to JFK are already cancelled, including one from yesterday evening
Oh my goodness. I am glad we never even made it to JFK. At the LHR Arrivals Lounge now and so grateful to BA for getting us to London. My second major disruption in the last six months (I must have jinxed it by mentioning in a post earlier this year that I had not any in the almost twenty years of flying with BA), and BA was nothing but excellent in sorting us out.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
That storm really is impressive! Source: https://www.windy.com/?41.624,-69.521,5

MHendo84 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Updated customer guidelines - 6 January added, new travel date also extended.

This has just come in, so if you take this guideline up with the Contact Centre, ask them to look at guideline update 5. These guidelines allow travel between now and 6 January to be deferred and applies if you have a flight which is shown as operating, so allowing you to preemptively move. If you can move your flight now, I would advise you to do this. If your flight is cancelled then a wider set of guidelines applies, including a refund. Redemptions are included in this and rebooking can be done via AA or IB as well as BA. This is for tickets issued by BA (125 tickets).

Airports affected
ALB – Albany
BDL – Hartford
BGR – Bangor
BOS – Boston
BTV – Burlington
EWR – Newark,New York
HPN – White Plains
HVN – New Haven
ISP – Islip
JFK – John F Kennedy, New York
LGA – LaGuardia, New York
MHT – Manchester
PHL – Philadelphia
PVD – Providence
PWM – Portland
SWF – New York Stewart
YUL - Montreal
YQB – Quebec

Tickets issued by
02 January 2018

Ticket travel dates
04 January to 06 January 2018

New travel dates
02 January to 12 January 2018
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Some comments from JFK last night, as we try again for today.

- this is when it really shows of the challenge of an out sourced station, and the lack of operational control and leadership. Basically all missing.
- lots of staff did not come to work due to snow. However it took a family of four (us) only one hour to get in in, as while there was snow on the roads, it was clear of traffic. And subway etc were running. To be fair schools were closed.
- BA were checking anyone in for flights that did not exist (ie cancelled) had no chance of running, With the comment, we can check you in, as tomorrow’s flights are oversold. At least our flight did say it was running.
- lounge staff said to ignore the boards, as when the airport opened they will work out flights. Not sure how that would work...
- we were on 114 which they did try and try and try to get going, as they had two aircraft on the ground.
- initially, CCR was closed, the galleries lounge was a fire hazard (in the us definition of max occupancy) with all seats taken, floor space used and chockablock from morning cancellation, Tokyo flight and a Qatar flight and lots of others. That said it was well stocked.
-staff gave out $20 vouchers in the full knowledge that all food outlets had run out of food, and were closed due to lack of staff.
- after a lot of discussion the contract staff opened the CCR for drinks only, after a discussion about the fire regulations, that we did not need food, and the fact that at least it was a place to sit. Lounge was opened with a bartender and no staff on the front desk. So it was quite crowded.
- toilets in galleries were worse than any 3am toilet at a pub I had seen, as there were no cleaning staff available. Lots and lots of complaints on this, but no action.

That said those staff who were working did keep smiling.

Come 20.00 the BA manager announced that that 176 was cancelled, and the airport was closed until 7.00, but 114 would fly. He could not explain that statement.

This caused a flurry of arguments, as the BA app said flights were not cancelled, and it turned out his announcement was made from what he read on CNN, and the JFK twitter feed was saying flights would leave at midnight. And you could see a series of plows out and about. so he then said we should stay. Sad day that BA staff ops are based on CNN...

Come. 20,30 the app announced 114 was cancelled and we headed back to Manhattan. I guess BA will pick up room and board and the taxi. There were at least 20 confused people in the CCR when we left. Not sure what they did. At least the booze was flowing. No food though.

And we we do it all again tomorrow/today, where at least BA protected this GGL and his family on a flight. Thumbs up there (and would rebook on BA, AA or AY from any point in the USA - problem is no space on AA flights from JFK to any outstation to get us there). Need to work out also where my luggage is, as they gave no information on that. I guess in jfk somewhere.

In short, place is mess, if you can avoid it for now.

KF
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

Received an email overnight from BA confirming BA117 is cancelled. MMB shows no alternative rebooking options. Will have to call AA later to see what they can do (AA ticketed).

Disappointed. Called AA. They have no option for the next few days but can only offer me something early next week at no charge. Can’t do that as I’ll be working. Asked them to move it to a long weekend in two or three weeks time and they said no... has to be within the next week or I have to pay the fare difference. So booking has to be refunded.

Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Disappointed. Called AA. They have no option for the next few days but can only offer me something early next week at no charge. Can’t do that as I’ll be working. Asked them to move it to a long weekend in two or three weeks time and they said no... has to be within the next week or I have to pay the fare difference. So booking has to be refunded.
This is one of the difficulties with AA in that their cancellation options are tighter than BA's (though otherwise they are very flexible on rebooking in terms of routes and so on). However if it was a flight from Europe to the USA then this isn't allowed since under EC261, Article 8.2.c you are allowed: "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats." BA allows this for up to 355 days and interpret the availability as being in the same selling class, with a 2 weeks window if there are seats in the same cabin, so that just about fits the Regulation. In the reverse direction, USA to Europe, AA offers no such protection.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is one of the difficulties with AA in that their cancellation options are tighter than BA's (though otherwise they are very flexible on rebooking in terms of routes and so on). However if it was a flight from Europe to the USA then this isn't allowed since under EC261, Article 8.2.c you are allowed: "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats." BA allows this for up to 355 days and interpret the availability as being in the same selling class, with a 2 weeks window if there are seats in the same cabin, so that just about fits the Regulation. In the reverse direction, USA to Europe, AA offers no such protection.
trying again then! Will report back.....
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:30 am

trying again then! Will report back.....

So after an hour on the phone they are adamant that their policy is set out below and they extend the period to 7 days. It clearly doesn’t meet the EU requirements so I have been asked to take it up with AA customer services now... which I will do.

Their stance is that for rebooking after seven days the passenger MUST pay any difference in fare.

[AA]We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, we will rebook you on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control or you were diverted to another city, and we don’t board to your final destination before 11:59 p.m. local time, we'll arrange an overnight stay at your connecting airport, if available.

In extreme circumstances, a flight may cancel while on the ground in the city it was diverted to. If this happens we will rebook you on our next flight with available seats, on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to rebook you, we’ll arrange an overnight stay, if available.

If the delay or cancellation is caused by events beyond our control (like weather) you are responsible for your own overnight accommodations, meals and incidental expenses. American Airlines agents may be able to help you find a hotel.

If you decide not to fly because of a flight cancellation or a major delay, you can request a refund of the remaining ticket value and related optional fees.[/AA]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.